• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible trimming?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I'd start by checking the tiny imperfections on the right edge of the front cover with the tiny imperfections on the right edge of the pages. You should be able to see a distinct match between the flaws on the edge of the cover and the flaws on the page edges. Most trimming is in the form of a "chop" to the edge (or edges) of the entire book, which often appears unnaturally straight and uniform. If it's just the cover that's trimmed, the pages will still maintain those tiny imperfections, but in most cases, the edge of the cover won't.

Also, check the staples---if they're loose, this could account for the pages extending out further than the cover. 

Pictures of the entire book would definitely be a plus...   :foryou:

Here are some more pics. Staples are not that loose, some tears near them but I wouldn’t say I can move the cover around much...

On the last page you can see how the edge at the bottom appears wider than the top. Not sure if that’s just misaligned or further trimming evidence.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tough to tell. There is a bit of rolling at the spine which would pull the cover in past the pages, but who knows? 

I've trimmed Sunday comic pages from newspaper sections enough to know that even a sharp razor can catch a few "pills" or crumbs of paper and result in small tears as the blade plows through more than cuts the newsprint. A few of those "nicks" look suspicious on your right-hand edge, but I've seen them result from factory trimming, so again, it seems inconclusive. 

I feel the more you wonder about trimming, the more likely you are to talk yourself into the opinion that a book has been trimmed. I've gone through it myself. 

Edited by PopKulture

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

<--- n00b here says "yes".

@James J Johnson?

I'm 75/25 for no trim, because some of those pre-chips if bisected by a cut would've detached completely.  However, be that as it may, there are things going on that may cause CGC to rule "right edge of cover trimmed", just preparing the OP for the worst.

Edited by James J Johnson

19 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm 75/25 for no trim, because some of those pre-chips if bisected by a cut would've detached completely.  

As I've experienced trimming Sunday comics, some of those pre-chips can likewise be created by trimming. I am however leaning towards no-trim on this specimen, mostly because the page reveal at the right can be explained at the spine.

I mean I don’t want to have a trimmed book as part of the collection but I didn’t pay a ton for it. Plus if it is trimmed it could serve as a good reference piece for me.

But some of you are leaning towards no trim. I just thought the cleanness of those two edges compared to the others was a bit odd. Either way I appreciate all of the input so far!

Well since I’m not selling it nor likely to have it CGCed I will just tell myself it’s not and continue being happy that I own it :) seems the better route to go

I was just documenting it in my notes and wanted to be thorough is all

Edited by comicginger1789

I really enjoy reading about how to detect trimming. Seems like a little "black magic" is needed to know for sure.

In this example, it looks like both the front and back covers are shorter than the rest of the book...and the staples are not loose.  Isn't this a telltale sign that something has been altered with the cover? 

Edited by Motor City Rob

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

As I've experienced trimming Sunday comics, some of those pre-chips can likewise be created by trimming. I am however leaning towards no-trim on this specimen, mostly because the page reveal at the right can be explained at the spine.

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm 75/25 for no trim, because some of those pre-chips if bisected by a cut would've detached completely.  However, be that as it may, there are things going on that may cause CGC to rule "right edge of cover trimmed", just preparing the OP for the worst.

I agree with these two.  My guess without holding it in hand is.... no-trim on this one.

Front cover wasn't cut to the correct size when it was printed, only to be corrected later, if CGC were to say it's been trimmed, I don't believe it was and they have been wrong before about trimmed books  

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

I agree with these two.  My guess without holding it in hand is.... no-trim on this one.

I also agree, and found a scan of this Spidey #11 CGC Universal 4.5 on ComicLink that seems to exhibit the same front cover cut as your book...

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D3884%26pg%3D2&id=1386588