• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking down the Original Owner
3 3

100 posts in this topic

Very cool story.  Did Bruce tell you where he would buy his comics?  What titles he collected?  Why he liked those particular titles?

I've never tried to actually contact previous owners but I do search uncommon names to see if anything pops up.  I also search street addresses to see what the house looks like now compared to what it did back in the day.  Uncommon names are always the best.  Sorry "John Smith" you don't help the cause LOL

Club envelopes are also a good source for this.

Edited by pemart1966

49 minutes ago, jpepx78 said:

I like to trace former owners too especially if they write their address. This is what discovered about Shirley Kutina from her comic.

Tremendous detective work!  (worship)  A great story too - except for the ending.  It just adds SO much more to a collectible when you can attach a human element to it.  

Edited by pemart1966

1 minute ago, sacentaur said:

Irene Claxton (b. 1922) lived most of her life in Dublin, Georgia. She had an illness as a child that left her deaf. Never married, Irene became a noted local photographer. She passed away in 2013.

E6A6E952-E6BF-4043-B2C0-E42D62A57E10.jpeg

CE361EBB-9974-46DA-A49B-5E789AF5C61D.jpeg

Thanks, centaur. Even a picture. Did you actually communicate with her?

No, I did not. Several years after she passed away, her few books went to Gary Dolgoff who then offered them for sale. After purchasing those two DC’s, I contacted Gary to see if he had any more info about Irene or her estate, but unfortunately he did not.

I have no idea what the date stamps on her books represent.

Edited by sacentaur

56 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I would love to track down the original owner of this book but no last names :cry:

Look in Robin's cape, Aunt Mildred gave it to her nephew Gerald.

I thought it was kind of cool.

batman23f.jpg

That tells a story. It resonates. I picture a family gathering. Gerald is hating life, but than a miracle happens: old biddy Aunt Mildred pulls a Batman comic out, and the sun shines again. The only thing that could have been more shocking is if Aunt Mildred then handed Gerald  a Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That tells a story. It resonates. I picture a family gathering. Gerald is hating life, but than a miracle happens: old biddy Aunt Mildred pulls a Batman comic out, and the sun shines again. The only thing that could have been more shocking is if Aunt Mildred then handed Gerald  a Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle.

You'll shoot your eye out !

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Irene Claxton (b. 1922) lived most of her life in Dublin, Georgia. She had an illness as a child that left her deaf. Never married, Irene became a noted local photographer. She passed away in 2013.

E6A6E952-E6BF-4043-B2C0-E42D62A57E10.jpeg

CE361EBB-9974-46DA-A49B-5E789AF5C61D.jpeg

You got some of her books too?  That's cool as hell!  A batch showed up on ebay a few months ago and I'm still kicking myself I didn't get more.  Such a nice set, good to see others recognize her collection.  I'm almost tempted to get my copy graded.

9 hours ago, comicjack said:

Berk did track Lamont down story was in a goldenage quarterly with the Ghost Rider on the cover

Here's an early CGC thread where, in the first post, Jon rehashes the story contacting  Lamont Larson:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/36180-larson-article-by-jon-berk/

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Here's a thread on a specific example from last year.  The only time I've ever done tracking like that:

This Ed Lehmann thread is the most amazing thread I’ve ever seen. This guy was a true pioneer in the collecting world. (Hey Gotham Kid: even back in 1971 he was talking up Pre-Robin Tecs!). And then, at the end of the thread, his son somehow catches wind that there’s a discussion about his late father, and just joins in the discussion. Like surprise!