• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking down the Original Owner
3 3

100 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is a great story too. I wonder who else has Irene’s books

Apparently Saucentaur has a pair :)

If any more show up I'll be first in line 🙂

*edit*  I'll toss this in as well, sorry to spam your fun topic :)

It's pulp-related, which I honestly know less about than I do about comics, but I found it interesting.  From what I understand, there are only two pulp pedigrees, the Yakima collection, and something else.  I ran into the shop which originally purchased the Yakima collection, and the owner disputed what is currently promoted about the backstory of the yakima collection.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/112594-ill-pound-you-to-a-pulp-if-you-dont-show-off-yours/?do=findComment&comment=10758644

Edited by waaaghboss

Just noticed the name on these SA books, so I looked him up.  Died here in AZ in 2009...that might be why a local store had these comics in 2015...

17048054711_ded408991f_c.jpg

16861345880_2d4c9bcd94_c.jpg

William E. "Willie" Van Daele, 59, formerly of Moline, died Thursday, Oct. 22, 2009.

A memorial service will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 14, at DeRoo Funeral Home, Moline. Visitation is 10 a.m. until the time of service at the funeral home. Inurnment will be at St. Mary's Cemetery, East Moline. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Bill's name to the American Cancer Society or John Deere Open-Birdies for Charity.

Bill "Willie" Van Daele, son of Cyril and Rose Gryp Van Daele, is an alumni of both Drake University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in economics, and the University of Wisconsin, where he earned a bachelor's degree in accounting. Bill's career as a CPA spans over 30 years, the last five as controller for Gila River Farms.

Bill is survived by his loving partner, Josephine Abrams, her children, Brian and Stephanie, and grandchildren, Lucas and Rhiannon; aunts, Clara Downing, Virginia, Betty and Dorothy Gryp; cousins, Wilma Bellson, Wanda and David Van De Walle, and Donna and John Boynton also mourn his loss.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.deroofuneralhome.com.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 4/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Just noticed the name on these SA books, so I looked him up.  Died here in AZ in 2009...that might be why a local store had these comics in 2015...

17048054711_ded408991f_c.jpg

16861345880_2d4c9bcd94_c.jpg

William E. "Willie" Van Daele, 59, formerly of Moline, died Thursday, Oct. 22, 2009.

A memorial service will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 14, at DeRoo Funeral Home, Moline. Visitation is 10 a.m. until the time of service at the funeral home. Inurnment will be at St. Mary's Cemetery, East Moline. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Bill's name to the American Cancer Society or John Deere Open-Birdies for Charity.

Bill "Willie" Van Daele, son of Cyril and Rose Gryp Van Daele, is an alumni of both Drake University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in economics, and the University of Wisconsin, where he earned a bachelor's degree in accounting. Bill's career as a CPA spans over 30 years, the last five as controller for Gila River Farms.

Bill is survived by his loving partner, Josephine Abrams, her children, Brian and Stephanie, and grandchildren, Lucas and Rhiannon; aunts, Clara Downing, Virginia, Betty and Dorothy Gryp; cousins, Wilma Bellson, Wanda and David Van De Walle, and Donna and John Boynton also mourn his loss.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.deroofuneralhome.com.

It’s hard to reconcile this dry rendition of his life with the excitement he no doubt felt when he first got his hands on these books

I love names on books! I haven't tracked anyone down, but most of the names on my books are pretty generic, so it's a little tough. 

This is Silver Age, but I thought I'd show you the one book I own where I know something about the original owner. I can't say I had to do much research, though!

804901054_action252.thumb.jpg.640b79fcdc5d26d12b41b484c58eb8d9.jpg

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

I love names on books! I haven't tracked anyone down, but most of the names on my books are pretty generic, so it's a little tough. 

This is Silver Age, but I thought I'd show you the one book I own where I know something about the original owner. I can't say I had to do much research, though!

Who was the OO? You?

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

You don't think that is the cartoonist Denis Kitchen, do you?

Spells his first name the same way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Kitchen

http://www.deniskitchen.com/

P.S. Shoot him an e-mail to ask.  That would be pretty cool if he could verify it.

Edited by telerites

11 minutes ago, telerites said:

P.S. Shoot him an e-mail to ask.  That would be pretty cool if he could verify it.

Wow. Seems right

11 minutes ago, telerites said:

I think it is him, yes - didn't mean to be coy. I will drop him a line and see if he will verify it. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Crimebuster said:

I think it is him, yes - didn't mean to be coy. I will drop him a line and see if he will verify it. (thumbsu

Sorry, I read your post more closely.  You already had the idea.  

Great book, regardless but that would be cool if he does say it was his.

Let us know if you find out.  Thanks for posting.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:37 PM, pemart1966 said:

Very cool story.  Did Bruce tell you where he would buy his comics?  What titles he collected?  Why he liked those particular titles?

Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask those questions in my first email.  But yours was a great idea, and I followed up with a second email.  Unfortunately, he never answered back.  I fear age and infirmity may have caught up with the OO, and I'm feeling fortunate to have even gotten any response at all.

47 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask those questions in my first email.  But yours was a great idea, and I followed up with a second email.  Unfortunately, he never answered back.  I fear age and infirmity may have caught up with the OO, and I'm feeling fortunate to have even gotten any response at all.

How long ago did you track him down?

Interesting to note his stamp - it says in part "Somerton".  Somerton is a neighbourhood in Philadelphia (I looked it up :))  I wonder why he didn't have his street address on the stamp or was it a time where everyone knew where Bruce lived?   

Or maybe that's all the room he had on his stamp lol

Edited by pemart1966