• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking down the Original Owner
3 3

100 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

March 31st, the day I started this thread, was the day I heard back from him.  Here is a copy of what I received:

Yes, That's Me  
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 8:35 am
Bruce Lehr (lehrrb@fastmail.com)To:you Details
Hello Clark:

Yes, I'm the guy.  25 years ago I sold my childhood collection of comic books to a comic book store in Harrisburg, PA.  As a kid, I stamped my name on them because all "the gang" shared comic books with each other and many got lost.  Unfortunately, when I sold them, I was told that they were defaced by doing that and it diminished the value.  As a result, I didn't realize the price I had hoped for.  Live and learn, I guess, but I wasn't thinking of ever parting with them back then.  I also sold my collection of Big Little Books at the time.  Believe it or not, Somerton back then, was a rural "village" tucked away in the northwest corner of the northeast part of Philadelphia County.

Regards,
Bruce

Gotta love a comic book discussion between two guys named Clark and Bruce!

I'll have a couple contributions for this thread, but I will have to dig a bit first. Will be back...

Edited by Readcomix
Misspelling/typo

Here's a thread I started on the collection of Beverly Larson. I eventually found that the dealer who bought it is a guy whose shop I visit every so often, but he had since dispersed much of it. The dealer I had gotten my copies from had bought them from him. The LCS owner who first purchased Beverly's collection said he and his brother have some in their collections; I will get a shot when they dig them out.

I forgot about this recent acquisition having a name on it, but I did not get it from the original owner and have not tried to research him. (I got it from a rare books dealer who occasionally picks up comics. He said he bought the collection from the late OO's daughter about two years ago. I got the last pieces of GA that he had left from the collection, this and an unsigned Leading Comics #7, which is now in the collection of @oceans11.)

IMG_3772.JPG

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Here's a thread I started on the collection of Beverly Larson. I eventually found that the dealer who bought it is a guy whose shop I visit every so often, but he had since dispersed much of it. The dealer I had gotten my copies from had bought them from him. The LCS owner who first purchased Beverly's collection said he and his brother have some in their collections; I will get a shot when they dig them out.

What a fun story! Good job identifying her. Too bad it was too late to attempt reaching out to her

9 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What a fun story! Good job identifying her. Too bad it was too late to attempt reaching out to her

Thanks Clark! It was @nearmint who did the identifying, for which I am grateful. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more of Beverly's books now that I have identified the dealer who first bought her collection upon her passing.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, telerites said:

Sorry, I read your post more closely.  You already had the idea.  

Great book, regardless but that would be cool if he does say it was his.

Let us know if you find out.  Thanks for posting.

I have spoken to Denis Kitchen via email, and he confirmed that this copy was indeed his when he was a kid. :smile:

33 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Many years ago while at a flea market on the west coast, I ran into a small pile of real nice Big Little Books. When I got home and checked them out, I noticed the name "Jim Payette" penciled on the first page of a couple of them. I thought right away, of the old time comic dealer of the same name. I contacted him with a couple photos. It turned out they had belonged to his dad. Jim had sold them off many years earlier and now regretted it. I was honored to return the two with his dad's name on them to him. Small world. These two books somehow crossed the country and ended up at a flea market on the west coast...

This is all I have of MY dad's childhood. Found them as a boy in my grandmother's house in MT on a visit. She was surprised I found them and remarked how she must have missed them when she gave away my dad and aunts toys back in the day...:devil:

buckrogerstootsietoy1.jpg

popeye'spetbook.JPG

That is a true time capsule. I’m glad you got them

I've got four early WDC&S with the name Duan Mrohs stamped on them. Here's one of them:

large.1745959114_wdcs_030.jpg.e48bb9b38983af0d92d0f639fd4db53a.jpg

That name can't be too common, and Google found only one. So I think Mr Mrohs was a musical technician (photo of him in that article) who worked on some jazz records in the 1960s, and was attached to the music school at Ann Arbor in the 1960s and 70s. All of the references place him in Michigan, including a 1987 death notice. :( With that info, I found this record, which includes a birth date of 1930 - about right to have been buying a duck book in 1942 or 1943. He died at the same age I am now...

7 hours ago, AJD said:

I've got four early WDC&S with the name Duan Mrohs stamped on them. Here's one of them:

large.1745959114_wdcs_030.jpg.e48bb9b38983af0d92d0f639fd4db53a.jpg

That name can't be too common, and Google found only one. So I think Mr Mrohs was a musical technician (photo of him in that article) who worked on some jazz records in the 1960s, and was attached to the music school at Ann Arbor in the 1960s and 70s. All of the references place him in Michigan, including a 1987 death notice. :( With that info, I found this record, which includes a birth date of 1930 - about right to have been buying a duck book in 1942 or 1943. He died at the same age I am now...

That book is in great shape for having plausibly been purchased by a 12 or 13 year old nearly 80 years ago!

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Heard from a friend of a friend today of a guy that works at Graceland that all of Elvis' childhood comic is still in the attic. It has been suspected but I really feel it is true. Now wouldn't that cause a ruckus if those appeared at a Heritage auction???

What color should that label be?

Just now, MrBedrock said:
27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Heard from a friend of a friend today of a guy that works at Graceland that all of Elvis' childhood comic is still in the attic. It has been suspected but I really feel it is true. Now wouldn't that cause a ruckus if those appeared at a Heritage auction???

What color should that label be?

Blue Suede?