• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Positive Stories coming out during these tough times
1 1

78 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

Great thread Bob and nice work in Sharon’s thread!

Some of you may know I’m a special education teacher/consultant and work with children and adults with autism and various disorders. Most schools have transitioned to distance learning (learning from a teacher/therapist via online platforms) by now, it has been a great challenge for many individuals and families with children with disabilities. 

It has been a pleasant surprise to myself and many others that some students have excelled. Some parents thought their children would only be able to attend for five minutes, and they’ve attended for hours. I teach children at schools, homes, job sites, and on the college level, and they've been able to attend and are enjoying maintaining some structure in their lives. 

There are also many that distance learning is not appropriate for and some families are struggling greatly. Teachers are doing their best to give parents as many resources as possible. Yes, it’s very challenging and we are all doing our best. 

In these tough times, we have to stick together and work with one another. We are all feeling this. When faced with adversity, it’s amazing what we are capable of. God bless.  

Teaching is a very honorable and sometimes tough job. My brother is a teacher and has echoed your sentiments. Keep it up. Everybody has to do their part and put aside any differences we might have had a month ago. We are being tested and we are answering the challenge.

What is inspiring is seeing people go out.  For this past week, I've seen a lot of people riding bicycles, walking dog, jogging and all the recreational stuff with spacing.  Seeing people do their own thing is very inspiring to me.  When we have WWIII, I probaly see the same people going out doing their thing.  My city is top 5 in population, but we don't have the major spike like other cities.  As much this will change our lives forever, we have to keep going.  

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Got no excuse to do some walking now (at a safe distance). Keep on the right path brother!

It is pretty chilly and wet out now. I don't want to get a cold right now and not know whether I am sick with a plain old cold or the corona. As it is I have a chronic cough since 2001 or thereabouts. I am also supposed to be working at home 8 hours a day. If I am not there to answer e-mails right away I can get in trouble. So I am kind of stuck in my house during most of the day. And at the same time I have to home school 2 kids (ok, I have basically given up on the teenager, I still have hope for the 3rd grader).

Edited by the blob

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

There is so much negative and disturbing press out there right now. Was telling some one the other day that it reminds me of being in high school and watching the daily body count from Vietnam with my family on TV. I remember they were put up on the screen often with footage of soldiers actually unloading body bags from helicoptors.

In the midst of all this, there are so many stories of the goodness of man in spite of this. It is very uplifting to see how most of us have come together to help and inspire others. Sharon's thread in the sales section is a great example of the goodness of the boardies here. Check it out, take something for a kid or contribute something.

I saw a story this morning about a local woman who wheeled her piano out on the driveway and gave an inprompto concert for her neighbors. My grandkids are writing inspiring messages in chalk on the sidewalk in front of their houses. The countless stories of healthcare and police and firemen who are risking their lives for others. Very inspiring and gives me faith in the beauty of man kind.

Yesterday, I had to do a video confrence call. I got my wife's make up out and "did myself up". Really cracked up people and lightened the mood.

Got any inspiring or funny stories to share?

I like everything about your post, except for the cross-dresser cultural appropriation.

You are so insensitive at times and I feel my safe space evaporating.  (tsk)

41 minutes ago, bloodwings19 said:

What is inspiring is seeing people go out.  For this past week, I've seen a lot of people riding bicycles, walking dog, jogging and all the recreational stuff with spacing.  Seeing people do their own thing is very inspiring to me.  When we have WWIII, I probaly see the same people going out doing their thing.  My city is top 5 in population, but we don't have the major spike like other cities.  As much this will change our lives forever, we have to keep going.  

We do need to live our lives but we need to focus on the big picture. Maybe think a little less of ourselves and more about others not as lucky. 

I live in a big city (LA). We are supposed to be real locked down. Other than the market, pharmacy and the post office, we aren’t leaving the neighborhood. We have a small park a few blocks away. We take our mutts there a couple of times a day. Lot more people there but everybody keeps their friendly distance. It was warm last weekend and tons of younger folks hit our local beach in droves not abiding by the rules. Our Mayor and Governor closed the parking lots overnight and closed them. God bless them. They are doing their best but there are always “those” people. 

We all need to sacrifice, alter our behavior and find new ways to live for a while. Otherwise our future is real grim...

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

. We all need to sacrifice, alter our behavior and find new ways to live for a while. Otherwise our future is real grim...

Well, I try to remain as positive as I can by being part of others' support teams, but at times, the future appears grim enough to warrant inclusion as one of the tales in this book!

Grimm.jpg

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I like everything about your post, except for the cross-dresser cultural appropriation.

Why do you assume this isn't a regular part of his life?

2 minutes ago, the blob said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Why do you assume this isn't a regular part of his life?

You're right :sorry:   

I've been enjoying the springtime, most years I don't get to ( I'm in no way down playing this event). This is usually the craziest time of year where I work, so I dread early spring. I've been playing with my dog alot more than usual which I'm sure she likes. My plan is gonna do some morel mushroom hunting in the next few days, although for some curse my property never seems to have much, but jump across the property line........

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

We do need to live our lives but we need to focus on the big picture. Maybe think a little less of ourselves and more about others not as lucky. 

I live in a big city (LA). We are supposed to be real locked down. Other than the market, pharmacy and the post office, we aren’t leaving the neighborhood. We have a small park a few blocks away. We take our mutts there a couple of times a day. Lot more people there but everybody keeps their friendly distance. It was warm last weekend and tons of younger folks hit our local beach in droves not abiding by the rules. Our Mayor and Governor closed the parking lots overnight and closed them. God bless them. They are doing their best but there are always “those” people. 

We all need to sacrifice, alter our behavior and find new ways to live for a while. Otherwise our future is real grim...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74n8a/15-chilling-photos-of-la-as-a-ghost-town?utm_campaign=sharebutton&fbclid=IwAR3eGvjb1Hcq40KVrPmD4OSHPLW7S6JVRoPuNOQQx2XLZZLkJqwVAHJ7oOY

12 hours ago, bloodwings19 said:

iv'e never seen so many people walking in my life , even young people although most of them are walking and looking at their phones at the same time....

44 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

iv'e never seen so many people walking in my life , even young people although most of them are walking and looking at their phones at the same time....

44 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

they are lucky to live in this day and age. in my day, we had to do that with boom boxes. it was damm tough, i tell you. it has been years, and my arm still hurts, and is semi- permanently bent upwards toward my shoulder. and don't get me started on the sony walkman. talk about touching your face and head and ears all the time to adjust/hear... we would all have been infected and dead by now.

young people today are fortunate, and that is a positive story.