• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Positive Stories coming out during these tough times
1 1

78 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, the blob said:

I have managed to not gain 20 pounds during quarantine? Only 2 or 3.

Make that 4.

I ate a bowl cabbage soup, a lettuce salad, and about 4 ounces of cheese yesterday, yet still gained weight. WTF? It's like my body is going into hibernation mode, yet I am still awake.

Positives:

• I hadn't prepped/cooked in 3 years. I made tuna salad (which everyone who has had it - loves it) a couple of times over the past 2 weeks. I bought a couple of 8 oz tenderloin steaks yesterday and am going to cook them a la Ramsay tonight.
  • My cats love waking up from naps and interacting with me 24/7. Mjolnir also naps in my lap sometimes while I'm working.
  • I've basically been paid to clean/organize my home. Still a lot to do - but taking those breaks from the monotony for 'home improvement' is great.
  • Even though my salary has been cut by 10% - my hours have been cut by 12.5% - so I'm taking Fridays off (3-day weekends until August [maybe]).
  • Anticipating doing a lot of comic book reading in the near future and for awhile. Slowest year of reading for me (due to that old 'business at work drains my motivation for hobbies' thing).

Among other pros.

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

That’s wild Roy. Almost hard to believe. I haven’t seen anything like that by the beach. A lot of those shots are downtown. Mostly business areas which are shut down. Two weekends ago, the beaches were packed with no social distance. Our governor immediately shut down the parking lots and the lifeguards made everyone leave. Many parks, hiking trails and all golf courses, skate parks ect. Are closed. Most businesses as well. I applaud our governor and the mayor of LA. They are working around the clock to stay as far ahead as is humanly possible. 

God bless our healthcare workers, police, firemen, postal workers, truck drivers, grocery store workers and more. These people are superheroes. 

This is a photo of a tv news traffic map a few days ago. Most of us in LA are doing our part...

5AC73900-2315-4BBC-915C-102C9AC32D4F.jpeg

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Positives:

•  
  • Even though my salary has been cut by 10% - my hours have been cut by 12.5% - so I'm taking Fridays off (3-day weekends until August [maybe]).
  •  

My guess is that this is the next step for me...them cutting my salary 10-20%. But last time they did that they still made us work 5 days a week (and it was 10%...so every 10th day). They paid us (those of us who will still working there) back for the deducted salary like 5 years later or something like that.

5 hours ago, the blob said:

Make that 4.

I ate a bowl cabbage soup, a lettuce salad, and about 4 ounces of cheese yesterday, yet still gained weight. WTF? It's like my body is going into hibernation mode, yet I am still awake.

When you starve yourself for short periods of time, your body senses that, and gloms onto all those calories it can in case the starvation continues.

Just now, lizards2 said:

When you starve yourself for short periods of time, your body senses that, and gloms onto all those calories it can in case the starvation continues.

I suppose, but I'm not really starving, and my body ought to know it has 130 pounds of blubber to eat later.... That was all pretty filling (the soup had half a head of cabbage and used bone broth stock). I also had a pint of bone broth too. And like 5 cups of coffee.

1 minute ago, the blob said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I suppose, but I'm not really starving, and my body ought to know it has 130 pounds of blubber to eat later.... That was all pretty filling (the soup had half a head of cabbage and used bone broth stock). I also had a pint of bone broth too. And like 5 cups of coffee.

Well, that's just what I was told by an MD. What do they know.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I did intermittent fasting for about 2 months this year. One meal a day and such. I lost a lot of weight doing it. But I was active. Just going to work and getting kids to school, etc. results in me walking 3-4 miles a day. Working from home? uhg

58 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

no doctor in his right mind recommends cabbage soup, unless he is like 96 and practiced during the depression.

i mean, really, it is cabbage soup. there is a reason mickey ds or wendys or apples doesn't have it on the menu.

2 hours ago, wilbil said:

no doctor in his right mind recommends cabbage soup, unless he is like 96 and practiced during the depression.

i mean, really, it is cabbage soup. there is a reason mickey ds or wendys or apples doesn't have it on the menu.

One reason is that it can be flatulence inducing.  Personally, I'd avoid.

The supermarket started allowing NHS workers in half an hour before opening to the general public.

On the first day I noticed them giving free bunches of flowers to the ladies, which was a nice, appreciative gesture.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The supermarket started allowing NHS workers in half an hour before opening to the general public.

On the first day I noticed them giving free bunches of flowers to the ladies, which was a nice, appreciative gesture.

That’s what I’m talking about. Grocery stores in my area are opening an hour early for seniors. Up until then, I saw people elbow them aside for toilet paper.  Hardly any more rowdy behavior now. Not much hoarding either. 

I work in a grocery store and have been proud of our customers. They’ve been very understanding about shortages and observing the limits on items. 

Yesterday, my wife and I heard a commotion outside. We went out and saw a literal parade going by; car after decorated car of teachers. They were driving by the houses of all their students and letting them know they missed them and were thinking of them. It was quite a nice moment.

Edited by KirbyJack

47 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I work in a grocery store and have been proud of our customers. They’ve been very understanding about shortages and observing the limits on items. 

Yesterday, my wife and I heard a commotion outside. We went out and saw a literal parade going by; car after decorated car of teachers. They were driving by the houses of all their students and letting them know they missed them and were thinking of them. It was quite a nice moment.

Thank God for you guys. Possibly putting your life on the line. I went at 6:00 am today with my fellow "old folks". Everybody was real cool. Most had masks and gloves and kept apart. Helping people by telling them you saw "blank" or helping them to get it. The regular workers are there that we see every week. Great folks even with a sense of humor. All happy to have jobs. I had to tell the box boy that I would box my own stuff. I figure less hands the better and besides, I do a better job. (it was my first job and I have never forgotton how to do it right). Besides, he didn't have gloves. He didn't seem worried.

Stay well mi amigo and thanks!

18 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

One reason is that it can be flatulence inducing.  Personally, I'd avoid.

Cabbage was 27 cents a pound last month. I loaded up. I'm the only one in the house who will eat it though. I make a bone broth cabbage soup, lots of curry and ginger. dee-lish.