• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Positive Stories coming out during these tough times
1 1

78 posts in this topic

Dunno if it’s been posted but I’m sure other places are doing this. Since Easter is a little weirder for the little ones this year, people in my city have decorated their doors and front windows with eggs and homemade decorations. That way this week and on the weekend families can go for a drive and spot all the eggs.

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Dunno if it’s been posted but I’m sure other places are doing this. Since Easter is a little weirder for the little ones this year, people in my city have decorated their doors and front windows with eggs and homemade decorations. That way this week and on the weekend families can go for a drive and spot all the eggs.

Clever! ^^

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

We are going to have a "viritual" Easter egg hunt. We are going to hide eggs in pretty much plain sight at our house and have our grand daughters tell us where they are. We sent them a large package from the Easter bunny. Their mom has been holding on to it. Sadly, it's the best we can do this year. Oh, that, and pray this gets done with as soon as possible...

On 4/2/2020 at 11:56 AM, Robot Man said:

Guys, I've been laying low here. It was me who started this thread. Read the title. Get it? It's not about you, your personal problems, or flatulance, it's about real heroes and normal people that are trying to make a difference for others. Can I please, respectfully, ask you to just post something that helps folks emotionaly get through this horrible situation? I'd really appreciate it...:foryou:

My wife is a social worker. Here in Los Angeles the Governor sent trailers to Dockweiler (sp?) Beach to help contain the virus with those experiencing homlessness because that community is beyond vulnerable. The LA department of Mental Health was suppose to head it up but they have there heads in their butts so my wife and her team of smart, rad tough chics took over the beach and brought homeless that have had covid 19 symptoms to quarantine them. This population has so many problems, but my wife and her team are tackling it all.

I bring them food sometimes down there, to the health care workers. I'm in awe of what they are and have done. I've worked in the film biz for three decades and I've never seen anything as impressive as these woman (and some men) are doing. Full medical teams and they are just going for it. I'm not sure how it will end, but it's amazing to see in action.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:11 PM, Robot Man said:

I fully get it and agree. In the darkest of times, humor has always helped me too. I guess I get it from my dad. He was an LA police photographer. Sometimes a real tough job. 

When John Belusi died. After they got done, they propped him up in a chair, a few of the cops there crowded around him and my dad took their picture! I’ve got it but can’t post it. You know, I think John would have thought it funny too don’t you? 

I used to be a pacifist too. Still am deep inside. But as many of you will realize some day, the longer you live, you just get tired of I d I o t s...

Now post something “inspirational” will ya? 

I also know the police photographer in Los Angeles that was there and photographed the Tate house once the Manson followers got done. I was warned way ahead of time to not ask him about this, as it makes him very angry to talk about. People always want to ask me about the film biz and it's boring as heck to talk about (mostly cause questions always revolves around celebrity worship), I'm guessing police photographers feel the same way. But, man the questions I had, which is why I was warned way ahead of time.

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

My dad was the third person on the scene. Walking right behind two officers with their guns drawn snaping photos. He has since passed away about 8 years ago. He didn't share much with his teen age kids but I heard him and my mom talking. Surprisingly, I don't think it shook him all that much. He was a tough guy and served in WWII. It was a job to him. He told me once how much he liked his job because everyday he never knew what call he was going to get. We have his photos both on the scene and in the morgue. They wern't pretty but a lot of the folklore simply wasn't true. And no, I can't show them to anyone. They obviously wern't for "public consumption". He always made a few dupes for his "personal files"

He was also on the scene at the SLA/Patty Hearst shootout. Scored a round through his leg while hiding behind a police car and shooting photos. Even got a commendation for it.

On a positive note, he also had photos of Disneyland being built both on the ground and from a helicoptor. Great historical stuff. I saw them once but they disapeared. I have 3 "grabby" brothers and sisters.

Here is a photo I can share. It is my mother. As near as we can tell, she might be the first woman White House photographer during WWII. I also have her 1945 press pass. My brother has been trying to give her the recognition but apparently, during the war, they kept very few records on women's service in the homefront. He has been to DC a few times going through records but hasn't been able to turn up much.

Photography has always been in my blood I guess.

momroosevelt.jpg

The gentlemen photographer I know is still alive. They said, "Noman, don't ask him any questions!"

Good for your mom. Awesome camera! Those are Mole Richardson "Tweenies" (350 watt) lights to the far left. In case you were wondering.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I think it was inspired by the Brits:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52054745/clap-for-our-carers-national-applause-for-coronavirus-health-workers

Speaking of which, QE2 just proved that living through WWII ain't bad training for today:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

My dad was the third person on the scene. Walking right behind two officers with their guns drawn snaping photos. He has since passed away about 8 years ago. He didn't share much with his teen age kids but I heard him and my mom talking. Surprisingly, I don't think it shook him all that much. He was a tough guy and served in WWII. It was a job to him. He told me once how much he liked his job because everyday he never knew what call he was going to get. We have his photos both on the scene and in the morgue. They wern't pretty but a lot of the folklore simply wasn't true. And no, I can't show them to anyone. They obviously wern't for "public consumption". He always made a few dupes for his "personal files"

He was also on the scene at the SLA/Patty Hearst shootout. Scored a round through his leg while hiding behind a police car and shooting photos. Even got a commendation for it.

On a positive note, he also had photos of Disneyland being built both on the ground and from a helicoptor. Great historical stuff. I saw them once but they disapeared. I have 3 "grabby" brothers and sisters.

Here is a photo I can share. It is my mother. As near as we can tell, she might be the first woman White House photographer during WWII. I also have her 1945 press pass. My brother has been trying to give her the recognition but apparently, during the war, they kept very few records on women's service in the homefront. He has been to DC a few times going through records but hasn't been able to turn up much.

momroosevelt.jpg

I remember you sharing this story once before, and I love it just as much this time!

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

momroosevelt.jpg

i have definitely seen this photo before. definitely. i will look.

i think it is 43 or 44, and i think it is pa sachs in the back, but so many aides look similar and it is not clear.

either way, i will look a little. i still have some of the early white house news photographers association stuff and some of the womens army auxiliary corps stuff. great photo. note the war flag.

6 hours ago, wilbil said:

i have definitely seen this photo before. definitely. i will look.

i think it is 43 or 44, and i think it is pa sachs in the back, but so many aides look similar and it is not clear.

either way, i will look a little. i still have some of the early white house news photographers association stuff and some of the womens army auxiliary corps stuff. great photo. note the war flag.

Many thanks! PM sent...

A friend works for the Community Development Association in Seattle, a group that looks after the International District. They've been getting donations from suppliers and putting together bags of groceries and vitamins for the elderly in the neighborhood and families in low-income housing. They put together a regular group of volunteers, including the police officers assigning to that area. They sort the donations, wipe them down, load up, and go door to door delivering an average of 180 bags of groceries each week. They've been doing this for four weeks now. 

(They're gloved up, masked up, maintain distance, etc).