• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Stamp (and Store Stamp) Love
14 14

563 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

This is why I love date stamp books. The afternoon of Christmas Eve 1957 someone was working and stamped this book. Where? Was it snowing? Why were they working on Christmas Eve?

Probably got yelled at for putting extra coal on the fire too!

c3641e128dc2e8627f456b64d1254575.jpg

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That was good+

Grade A for accuracy  :)

why, thank you. that is a first for me. into the board archives your reply goes for me to use as a thesis proof at a later date.

4 minutes ago, wilbil said:
7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That was good+

Grade A for accuracy  :)

why, thank you. that is a first for me. into the board archives your reply goes for me to use as a thesis proof at a later date.

Well Christmas Carol was 1st published in 1843, but takes place in the early 1800's 

1857 is about as close as you could get! :tink: 

Coal seems to go back as far as the 1600s that I see... discovered by the French qui qui, sacreblue! :download:

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well Christmas Carol was 1st published in 1843, but takes place in the early 1800's 

1857 is about as close as you could get! :tink: 

Coal seems to go back as far as the 1600s that I see... discovered by the French qui qui, sacreblue! :download:

the period dress gave it away. the reason i mentioned 1857 is it was one of those who cares factoids that sticks in your mind. years ago a person i knew that was an english lit post grad mentioned that the movie was set in 1857 because of the furniture style used or something like that, and there was no way to prove it wasn't, so about 9 people sat there dumbfounded and dufus looking, because the geek was so smart. it took me years to figure out it was a con. i always hated little sh..heads that did stuff like that. 

i didn't know that about the french. thanks. now i am going to read up on it.

i like stuff like that. i enjoy being a smart little sh..head in social gatherings and spouting off stuff like that. 

1 minute ago, wilbil said:

the period dress gave it away. the reason i mentioned 1857 is it was one of those who cares factoids that sticks in your mind. years ago a person i knew that was an english lit post grad mentioned that the movie was set in 1857 because of the furniture style used or something like that, and there was no way to prove it wasn't, so about 9 people sat there dumbfounded and dufus looking, because the geek was so smart. it took me years to figure out it was a con. i always hated little sh..heads that did stuff like that. 

i didn't know that about the french. thanks. now i am going to read up on it.

i like stuff like that. i enjoy being a smart little sh..head in social gatherings and spouting off stuff like that. 

Awesome! It pays to learn to know if you're being swindled :)

6 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I love date stamps! In the old date stamp thread we had a list of people looking for stamps with specific dates - I'm still trying to find a date stamp from the day I was born, which is hard because comics didn't come out that day. I have a couple now that I found int he wild with date stamps from the day before I was born, so it's possible there's some out there from shops where shipments were late or they were just stamped late; I've seen this before, where a single issue has date stamps from multiple dates. But I'm, not holding my breath on ever finding it. 

What's your date of birth? I'm sure you can find a vintage date stamper somewhere, set it to your date of birth, get the book you want it on, ink up the date stamper and presto, vintage comic book with the date of birth on it you want. Problem solved!

On April 4, 2020 at 8:28 PM, Ltcandysmith said:

Is this a Green River pedigree?  Looks like it...

No, I bought the book -- and the last 80 or so books in the guy's collection -- from the original owner, who grew up in Massachusetts. Most of books came from the same store and had a similar stamp. He also wrote his initials "M.R." On the margin of the splash page on many of the books. There's an FF#1 out there somewhere that he sold before we met.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:12 AM, 01TheDude said:

first time I've ever seen my birth date on a date stamp- though not on 1957 (65) - Dec 24th is a tough stamp to find!

Never seen a date stamp for my BD (9/4) for any year! 😭