• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Stamp (and Store Stamp) Love
14 14

563 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2020 at 7:04 PM, creaturefan95 said:

Until recently, the only Silver Age Thor comics I owned were these two freebies from my favorite store (a coverless Thor #131 and Thor Annual #2 with no back cover):

360346548_ThorAnnual2_1.thumb.jpg.d1a2fafd3817a67210bd788481ebaf42.jpg

Do you get double points for a double stamp?  Oooo.  What about a double stamp on a double cover with Two Face?  That would be awesome.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:59 AM, ggovel said:

I’m the original owner of these two - purchased off the spinner rack at the local pharmacy when I was 12-13 years old:

B4725BB4-6419-40A8-B5DE-AD5EE4C1C2B1.jpeg

12C7E794-50E9-47E8-8C66-3E46CBA6BE49.jpeg

Dang, I wish the spinner rack comics I bought as a kid looked that good. Most of mine look like the Hulk was flipping through them right before I got there. lol

Happy Halloween folks!   I posted this in Spidey thread, but seems more at home here!   I like date stamps (ideally neat and subtle), especially on keys and particularly when it matches the official publication date.  For AF15, that's June 5, a date worthy of being a national holiday!  Yall already know this, but also real cool how date stamps negate the misleading "fresh-through" dates that appear on all front covers, which for AF15 is "AUG." 

Does anyone have a sense of the odds of finding an AF15 with a "June 5" date stamp on the front cover?  Especially in grade above 4.0?  I have rarely seen one in any grade, whether front or back cover.  

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Does anyone have a sense of the odds of finding an AF15 with a "June 5" date stamp on the front cover?  Especially in grade above 4.0?  I have rarely seen one in any grade, whether front or back cover.  

I should think that would be quite rare and possibly even a tad more desirable for a lot of people.

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I should think that would be quite rare and possibly even a tad more desirable for a lot of people.

Worth the wait.  I have a some key first appearances with date stamps, but recently realized they only sometimes coincided with actual publication date....just a day or two off.   Still cool, but I get a bit tingly all over when it matches, if you know what I mean.  :devil:

Edited by Pantodude

3 hours ago, SkyJuice said:

A reasonable size date stamp is ok for me.

In the 80s, some comic store even place a price sticker onto the book. Wonder how folks would feel in current times.

I have a pristine FF book from the late sixties with an old price sticker on it. I don’t mind the sticker at all :)

On 8/30/2020 at 2:41 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:
On 8/26/2020 at 10:04 PM, creaturefan95 said:

Until recently, the only Silver Age Thor comics I owned were these two freebies from my favorite store (a coverless Thor #131 and Thor Annual #2 with no back cover):

360346548_ThorAnnual2_1.thumb.jpg.d1a2fafd3817a67210bd788481ebaf42.jpg

Do you get double points for a double stamp?  Oooo.  What about a double stamp on a double cover with Two Face?  That would be awesome.

Why did you quote one of two books in my post from a different thread when I already posted said book by itself on the previous page?

On 10/31/2020 at 10:55 AM, Pantodude said:

Happy Halloween folks!   I posted this in Spidey thread, but seems more at home here!   I like date stamps (ideally neat and subtle), especially on keys and particularly when it matches the official publication date.  For AF15, that's June 5, a date worthy of being a national holiday!  Yall already know this, but also real cool how date stamps negate the misleading "fresh-through" dates that appear on all front covers, which for AF15 is "AUG." 

while I have heard of some stores stamping all their copies upon arrival was possible, it was pretty rare. From what I have read, the only copy often was the top book of the pile/bundle of the delivery. Or perhaps they would stamp the last book for each book itself.

The use of stamps depended on the retail location-- and whether they needed to have some method to know when something has been on the comic racks too long and was eligible for return. The reasoning is as varied as the number of stores probably.

This is sort of why date stamps are a little bit rare. Also-- delivery dates are not set in stone in terms of the when they made it to a store. As you can imagine-- when they left the printer for distribution, the further the destination, the more likely it took longer to get to say California versus New York.

Another thing to consider is that many hard core collectors have avoided date stamps and DO NOT prefer them for their collection. That can also impact if a book survived or was taken care of. I would not be surprised if there are practically no AF15 with any sort of date stamp. I'm sure someone has them if they exist but I also think whether it adds to value is up to debate. CGC won't bang the grade save the highest nosebleed level--- but when was the last time you heard of an AF15 in the 9.6 or above grade?

Just my take. Those of us who find this thread fun are not hard core about collecting the stamps as much as appreciating their existence. If anyone ever has a scan of an AF15 with a date stamp--- by all means-- share it here!

Edited by 01TheDude