• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Stamp (and Store Stamp) Love
14 14

563 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Hope all had a nice holiday weekend.  Back home now, after finally reuniting with some of my Spideys.  Here is the unusual Spidey's birthday date stamp i referred to earlier.  

1734439098_AmazingFantasy15(CGC6.0)(6-5Gilboypub.date)-front2.thumb.jpg.4bb0db248b93cd0f469ff7b67f7ce35c.jpg

Is it unusual because this is seemingly before it was ever on the stands? Is the year confirmable? I know I have a bunch of Bronze Age books from 75-76 that have 78/79 date stamps on the back. My guess for my own was that they were new old stock or something that was eventually bought up and stamped when they were bought up by whoever at a later date.

Maybe this happened here? 

On 11/29/2020 at 9:49 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Is it unusual because this is seemingly before it was ever on the stands? Is the year confirmable? I know I have a bunch of Bronze Age books from 75-76 that have 78/79 date stamps on the back. My guess for my own was that they were new old stock or something that was eventually bought up and stamped when they were bought up by whoever at a later date.

Maybe this happened here? 

No, that's not it presumably.  As other folks already addressed earlier in the thread, although rare, there are a few AF15s with a June 5 date stamp, and there is no question it was the official release or "birthday" date for Spidey.   It is the inclusion of distributor's name that is particularly intriguing/unusual, because of the info it adds to just the date, kind of like provenance because that distributor was the San Francisco area distributor of the Reilly aka San Francisco pedigree books of the early 1940s.  Hopefully some veteran will be able to answer my related inquiries pending in other threads. 

Edited by Pantodude
clarification

6 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Can't I just buy a stamp and give any comic any date I want?

Of course you can :)

And stick a Mark Jewelers insert into it while you're at it.

1 minute ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

But that’s why I don’t get the fascination. It seems to be so easily manufactured. 

I know. I've not detected a market for date stamped copies myself, that is, a significant group of collectors who would pay a premium for one. Most collectors still prefer 'clean' copies. So it's likely that only the old romantics would seek them out, especially those that have a date meaningful to them. And there's no joy to be gleaned from faking your own meaningful book, is there? 

P.S. MJI's are nigh on impossible to fake. 

Ya faking an MJ insert would be noticeable I would think. Also ruining one book to make another book into an MJ insert copy would also be really tricky and noticeable and only a few books seem to command such a premium to make that worth it.

As for the date stamp thing, I love them but don’t pay up for them. If anything, I might be more willing to buy a date stamp copy priced the same or better than a non date stamp copy in similar shape. That’s all.

Responding to "Hey Kids, Comics!"'s comment, "It seems to be so easily manufactured." 

I hear you, but it’s just a devil’s advocate or highly theoretical kind of remark, no? I have zero concern about the authenticity of all the cool date stamps (mechanical or handwritten) that folks have shared on this thread or elsewhere.  

I had a longish rant here that I just edited out.  Am I always that boring?  I think we can move on. 

Edited by Pantodude
too long!

On 12/11/2020 at 4:45 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Can't I just buy a stamp and give any comic any date I want?

Back when I was a young collector, date stamps would make the book less expensive. Penciled in ones were more acceptable while stamped books were discounted a bit. I kinda liked them and thought it was silly that people downgraded a book because of it and as long as they weren't stamped in a bad place I would grab them to fill my runs a little cheaper.

1 hour ago, Morganmi said:

Back when I was a young collector, date stamps would make the book less expensive. Penciled in ones were more acceptable while stamped books were discounted a bit. I kinda liked them and thought it was silly that people downgraded a book because of it and as long as they weren't stamped in a bad place I would grab them to fill my runs a little cheaper.

Yes that is what I remember from the LCS of my youth date stamps detracted from the grade an lowered price a bit

😷

On 11/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, Crimebuster said:

Any particular year? I can keep an eye out. I currently have two June 13, but no June 12 at the moment. 

I have a spreadsheet of my date stamps in case someone needs one.

He helped me out and I was looking at the book today! Thanks again @Crimebuster it is one of the best things I have gotten on the boards and was very generous of you to part with it!

On 12/30/2020 at 1:17 PM, Morganmi said:

Here's one towards the end of the date stamp era.

Ghost Rider #43.jpg

Are you saying after this time, date stamps don't appear or are just much much fewer? Because I do have this from earlier in the thread which I should think would be VERY late lol

image.jpg

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

Are you saying after this time, date stamps don't appear or are just much much fewer? Because I do have this from earlier in the thread which I should think would be VERY late lol

image.jpg

Wow that's the latest one I've seen.  but yea by the end of the 70's they seem to get fewer and farther between in my opinion. In fact out of the thousands of 80's comics I bought back then I don't think I have any with date stamps.