• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Stamp (and Store Stamp) Love
14 14

563 posts in this topic

In our previous date stamp thread I think someone had one as late as 1991. But once the direct market got going in the 80s, newsstand sales and thus date stamps rapidly decreased so stuff from the 80s is hard to find, especially mid and late 80s. 

The latest in my collection is from 1987. I got a bunch from 85, 86, and 87 out of the same collection that were all clearly bought at the same newsstand. There were a few old school holdout newsstands and I'm guessing those handful of places are responsible for the vast majority of all date stamps from after 80 or so. 

After all this talk about the final days of date stamps, time to go back in time to the early ones.  Here's an oldie from 1947 with a "FEB 28" date stamp (under Cap's arm).  Cool thing, that is the official release date!  It also has a store stamp (and a signature that somehow eluded me until now :)).   

1616901918_CaptainMarvelAvdentures72raw-front.thumb.jpeg.e073086688a6a56f04f300986d987155.jpeg

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, Namtak said:

Im new to this thread ,know nothing about it.does stamp has an impact on the grade?

Depends on the collector. Used to be the general thought was they brought down the grade a little but nowadays a lot of people are into them and might even pay a little more if it has a special date on it for them. 

3 hours ago, Namtak said:

Im new to this thread ,know nothing about it.does stamp has an impact on the grade?

I don’t see them as a defect at all personally. And to be honest if someone had a Fine copy of a book I wanted with a stamp and someone else had the same copy without and prices were the same, I would take the date stamp. Its just something cool to the history of the book.

As for effect on grade, pretty sure CGC doesn’t ding much for it if at all. You can have a Silver or Bronze Age book in 9.2-9.6 with a stamp on it, provided that it warrants that grade even if the stamp were not present.

Edited by comicginger1789

7 hours ago, BigD702 said:

I can make out February 8, just can't determine year. This is my only date stamp in my collection.

20210202_153148.jpg

20210211_215620.jpg

Did you request a green label or did CGC decide on it with this one? I had always thought they would give it a blue and put "name on the cover" but maybe that only applies to lower grade (like VG to Fine) books

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Did you request a green label or did CGC decide on it with this one? I had always thought they would give it a blue and put "name on the cover" but maybe that only applies to lower grade (like VG to Fine) books

I bought it like this through Mycomicshop. 

Edited by BigD702

Came across a store stamp on a book I picked up today. (Do back covers count as well?) I know I have more to share, I just gotta dig through some boxes and find them. 

20210218_165941.jpg

20210218_165952.jpg

Looks like Comics & Comix, ??? Irving St. I can't make out anything below since it's stamped over black. I tried looking it up but didn't get any results. I did however find a store in San Francisco called Amazing Fantasy and that address is 650 Irving St, so maybe it's the same location/store, just changed names.

20210218_165956.jpg

Edited by kccoig14

21 minutes ago, kccoig14 said:

Came across a store stamp on a book I picked up today. (Do back covers count as well?) I know I have more to share, I just gotta dig through some boxes and find them. 

20210218_165941.jpg

20210218_165952.jpg

Looks like Comics & Comix, ??? Irving St. I can't make out anything below since it's stamped over black. I tried looking it up but didn't get any results. I did however find a store in San Francisco called Amazing Fantasy and that address is 650 Irving St, so maybe it's the same location/store, just changed names.

20210218_165956.jpg

Of course store stamps count! Love to see old store stamps or heck even ones that are still around but were stamped eons ago!

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Of course store stamps count! Love to see old store stamps or heck even ones that are still around but were stamped eons ago!

Same here, I especially love finding old store business cards that have been stashed away in a comic as well.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:08 PM, Pantodude said:

After all this talk about the final days of date stamps, time to go back in time to the early ones.  Here's an oldie from 1947 with a "FEB 28" date stamp (under Cap's arm).  Cool thing, that is the official release date!  It also has a store stamp (and a signature that somehow eluded me until now :)).   

1616901918_CaptainMarvelAvdentures72raw-front.thumb.jpeg.e073086688a6a56f04f300986d987155.jpeg

Great cover I had not seen before👍‼️😷