• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MyComicShop closed due to Coronavirus
3 3

75 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

No news yet from Heritage re: possible closure, but I know I won't be bidding on anything there with a potential shutdown looming.

I called them about 30 minutes ago and so far, they are operating normally.  From what I learned, social distancing measures that are in place have resulted in some staggering of work within Heritage, so shipping times may wind up being affected.  They told me that any change to operations would be noted either on their website or on your homepage/dashboard if you have an account with Heritage.  Fingers crossed

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Essential businesses are largely limited to health care providers, grocery stores, take out food vendors, delivery drivers, lawyers, doctors, media, car repair, gas stations, and in some states gun shops.  

Most responsible businesses have workers working remotely if they can.

In 911 the heroes were fire fighters.  

In Covid-19 the heroes are grocery stores clerks and hospital workers.  They are getting paid minimum wage to be on the front line of exposure.  The grocery store clerks are making minimum wage.

And in N.J. liquor stores are deemed essential.

12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

My wife is in Dallas and went to a grocery store. Said there are people everywhere...crazy. 

Sending some info from NY... however crazy it is now... wait and see... it is about to get crazier.  

You can gauge how bad your area is by checking to see if floor freezers are sold out at major appliance stores and best buy.  Once I saw that those were sold out I noticed that the grocery stores were not only filled with people but that things became rapidly depleted. 

36 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Sending some info from NY... however crazy it is now... wait and see... it is about to get crazier.  

You can gauge how bad your area is by checking to see if floor freezers are sold out at major appliance stores and best buy.  Once I saw that those were sold out I noticed that the grocery stores were not only filled with people but that things became rapidly depleted. 

over here grocery stores have everything except toilet paper.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

That phase passes.  The only thing completely unavailable in SF are cleaning wipes, which are now deemed as a priority item to be sold to health care businesses first. 

19 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

That phase passes.  The only thing completely unavailable in SF are cleaning wipes, which are now deemed as a priority item to be sold to health care businesses first. 

What about masks? Are those available? Here in BC, Canada, face masks and hand sanitizer have both completely vanished from the shelves as all stocks are either being hoarded or, hopefully, redirected to the health care workers who desperately need them.

32 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

What about masks? Are those available? Here in BC, Canada, face masks and hand sanitizer have both completely vanished from the shelves as all stocks are either being hoarded or, hopefully, redirected to the health care workers who desperately need them.

I haven't shopped for masks, but I am sure they too are being directed to health care workers.

53 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Not here in Ohio.  Many things have been completely absent now for 4-5 weeks: hand sanitizers, common liquid and foaming soaps, sanitary wipes.  Toilet paper has been absent most of that time, and is just barely starting to show up (limit 1 package).  Paper towels had been absent until this week.  there are still erratic runs on meats.  For awhile you couldn't find chicken anywhere.  Yesterday, Sam's Club was completely emptied of lunch meats and hot dogs.  I saw a huge empty area (maybe 20-feet long) in an aisle I don't normally shop... looked to see what it was... pudding cups, apple sauce, and other snacks designed mostly for kids.

There was the initial panic in late February.  Then in mid-March when the Governor announced our 2-week shutdown, the panic buying was even worse.  Our shutdown "ends" in a few days... but we all know it will be extended.  When that announcement is official... there will be a 3rd wave of panic buying.  

Regsrding the retsil comment, its not whether they are retail or not. This is about whether or not employees are still needed to go to work. 

I too thought of Heritage, I am very surprised they are remaining open when mycomicshop can't 

Edited by William-James88

Just noticed this on the CGC front page:

4/1/2020

Developing…

In a press conference on April 1, Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida said that he would be issuing a statewide “stay-at-home” mandate effective Thursday night at midnight. The Executive Order is expected to be signed later this afternoon.

Based on the information currently available, CGC expects its Sarasota, Florida, USA headquarters to be open tomorrow, April 2. Once the Executive Order has been signed, CGC will analyze and provide an update on its operations.

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

No news yet from Heritage re: possible closure, but I know I won't be bidding on anything there with a potential shutdown looming.

Eh why not? They are still going to mark the book as sold to you.  Seems like a good time for buyers, not sellers.  If they sit on the book for a few weeks or a month, I wouldn't get too concerned.  I was going to send HA my 4 figure books because ebay is probably a poor choice to do that but we'll see how my auctions end up going this sunday I guess.

4 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Eh why not? They are still going to mark the book as sold to you.  Seems like a good time for buyers, not sellers.  If they sit on the book for a few weeks or a month, I wouldn't get too concerned.  I was going to send HA my 4 figure books because ebay is probably a poor choice to do that but we'll see how my auctions end up going this sunday I guess.

Too much uncertainty for me to part with any savings in these precarious times. Part of the attraction of comics in the last decade or so is how liquid they have become as an investment with the rise of all the online auction/consignment houses. With those venues closing down, albeit temporarily, comics as an investment are becoming increasingly illiquid. Combine that with a potentially huge drop in buyers due to unemployment/investment losses and...no thanks.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

floor freezers sold out a month ago. who are you kidding?

Consignor Update from MCS:

CONSIGNOR UPDATE: We have been required to close due to new orders from the state of Texas to close non-essential businesses. The current order extends through April 30th. Here's what you need to know:

• We are unable to accept new orders on our web site or eBay while we are closed, so consignors will not have any new sales during this period. Any item already consigned with us will be stored securely as usual until we are able to reopen. Any consignment shipments that were in transit to us when we were required to close will be stored securely but will not be processed or added to your account until we are able to reopen.
  • We have issued payments for sold consignments April 1 on our usual schedule, and will issue one further round of payments in the near future for any last consignment sales that cleared for payment after the April 1 payments were generated.
  • Although our web site can still be accessed and searched, orders cannot be placed until we reopen, so we have turned off the ability for buyers to make new offers on best offer items, since even if an offer was accepted the buyer would not be able to purchase the item until we reopen.
  • Any best offers that were accepted prior to our closure but had not yet been purchased will be kept on hold until we reopen to give the buyer time to complete their purchase.
  • We have canceled the weekly auction that started March 30, as well as the April Prime Auction and all upcoming scheduled auctions. If you had any items in any of those auctions, those items will be returned to your account. Once we are able to reopen we will schedule new auctions and you will be able to assign your items to auction as usual.
  • The payment deadline will be extended for any previously completed auctions that were not past the payment deadline but had not yet been purchased at the time of our closure. Once we reopen those winning bidders will have the opportunity to complete the purchase of the auctions they won.

FWIW  I just received a Consignment payment from MCS,  but it was dated 3/27 

Also I noticed that I had not recieved an EMail  from CHuck this week.  Went to the website and it looks like no new books added to inventory since Saturday.  Looks like he was shut down 

I still contend that the attendance at the live portion of Heritages  online auctions MUST be way down.  Maybe that is why only one of my 3 offerings from Saturday session the March signature Auction  received a single bid from the floor..  For that matter neither did my HULK  181 in the earlier auction.