• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MyComicShop closed due to Coronavirus
3 3

75 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, the blob said:

floor freezers sold out a month ago. who are you kidding?

I was talking about in Texas.  I noticed that they sold out around here a little late to the game but not that late... three weeks ago. 

Why does it seem that working from home somehow translates to working more than I was at the physical location of work?

How did that happen?  WTFrig? 

5 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

I still contend that the attendance at the live portion of Heritages  online auctions MUST be way down. 

Have you ever attended one before in the past as I am not sure how it could be lower than it normally already is?  (shrug)

I attended the live auction they had at one of the big SD Con's well over a decade ago with over 100,000 comic book enthusiasts at the Con.  Considering all of the free food and refreshments they had for the attendees to the live auction, I was expecting to see a pretty large crowd to turn out since they had over 100,000 fans right next door to draw from.  And yet, to my surprise, they had only about 20 people turn up or pretty much less than the total number of Heritage employees that were there.  :whatthe:

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I was talking about in Texas.  I noticed that they sold out around here a little late to the game but not that late... three weeks ago. 

Why does it seem that working from home somehow translates to working more than I was at the physical location of work?

I  second that. The 2 hours or so spent getting ready for work, going to work, getting ready to go home, run an errand on the way to or from home have been transformed into 2-3 hours that I just work. Also, I have back to back zoom meetings- no longer have to consider location and travel between meetings.  I'm exhausted. But I'm thankful to still have work, many others around me do not.

on the topic of MCS- Buddy and his wife need to be isolated away from everyone. He's the heart and soul of MCS, and he's no spring chicken.

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

yup, I feel the same way. My wife is putting in 12 hour days. And now my paycheck isn't coming because of some budget approval hijinx, although that should only last a week or two...I hope.

6 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I  second that. The 2 hours or so spent getting ready for work, going to work, getting ready to go home, run an errand on the way to or from home have been transformed into 2-3 hours that I just work. Also, I have back to back zoom meetings- no longer have to consider location and travel between meetings.  I'm exhausted. But I'm thankful to still have work, many others around me do not.

on the topic of MCS- Buddy and his wife need to be isolated away from everyone. He's the heart and soul of MCS, and he's no spring chicken.

I do not miss my 90-120 daily minute commute on the corona train though.

30 minutes ago, the blob said:

I do not miss my 90-120 daily minute commute on the corona train though.

Commuting was ever a complete waste of time for both employer and employee-  people in NY and elsewhere that depend on mass transit have some measure of time to themselves they can be at least personally productive, working, reading, etc, but in the south and west where it's all highways and cars- it's a totally non-productive, except for more pollution. People that move out to the suburbs to get away from the dense urban areas always have to trade off the time they waste commuting in- this pandemic will have many people and industries re-thinking what's "normal" and productive going forward.

"people in NY and elsewhere that depend on mass transit have some measure of time to themselves they can be at least personally productive, working, reading, etc,"  During peak rush hour I am lucky to have enough elbow room to look at my phone. I wish I could be productive. There is a reason we have a terrible covid19 rate right now, up until 2 weeks ago most of us were commuting on trains on top of each other. Starting in march I started leaving the house at 10 to avoid some of the crowds on the train (and I tend to leave a bit late) and it mostly worked to keep me 4-6 feet away from others, but when I had to leave at 8:30 a.m. one day it was bad.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:18 PM, sfcityduck said:

That phase passes.  The only thing completely unavailable in SF are cleaning wipes, which are now deemed as a priority item to be sold to health care businesses first. 

When we were leaving work with what looks to be the foreseeable future, I went into the utility closet and took some containers home.  Otherwise they would be sitting there until after all this passes.   So if you are leaving and they truly are not available, I recommend picking a container up from your job if they are laying around... Replace them when you go back to work. 

Local guy selling custom masks over here-picked one up today.  Top notch.  Even has slot if ya want to insert more tissue or filter material.  He had so many designs I was having trouble picking one he had a money one and comic sound effects one so he picked one for me-you take this one-it was a subdued grey and just what I needed, i realized.  When you enter he makes you use hand sanitizer first thing.   No trying on masks.

Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 6.22.08 PM.png

On 3/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, the blob said:

The dallas shelter in place order would seem to preclude the workers from coming in for this non-essential business. They can work from home, but most of what mycs does will not be doable from home. What happened in dallas seems weird. A judge apparently issued the order, but the article didn't say who asked him to (the mayor, etc.)

If what most of what MyComicShop is not doable from home, then how about Heritage Auctions since they also operate out of Dallas? hm

Why would it still be business as usual for Heritage, but not for MyComicShop?  ???

0 out of over 100 is outstanding. good protocol and precaution and good planning and great concern for the staff.

now you need to get the government to assist you via one of the many programs. this kind of proactive business decisions deserves it. this is exactly the kind of situation and response the programs are designed for. use it.