• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone Know if CGC Will Close?
4 4

568 posts in this topic

We are only about 5-10% of what it will take to get through this pandemic. There will be more and more non essential things being shut down. Non essential shipping could definitely be on the chopping block if postal and delivery services start to go down with infected employees.  What’s in the box, comic books, they will point at the door to leave.  Shutting down eBay stores because your merchandise is unshippable in this environment.  If the New York show is still on this fall, hopefully we can see the other side at that time. 

52 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

To give employers time to sort out a plan.  Telling people to just go home immediately creates a lot of confusion for staff members.

it really hurt sit down restaurants as the had all that food on hand and told to shut down at 3:00 in the middle of the day with less than one day warning here in Michigan

all that food probably had to be thrown out or maybe the owner took some small percentage home

14 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

it really hurt sit down restaurants as the had all that food on hand and told to shut down at 3:00 in the middle of the day with less than one day warning here in Michigan

all that food probably had to be thrown out or maybe the owner took some small percentage home

Hopefully, it went to a shelter, hospital or something similar.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not surprised. Why it took the gov of FL song long to do this is beyond me? FL probably has the highest percentage of older people in the country. I guess “spring break” is over...

I was going to send some high dollar books in but I think I will hold off for now. 

He's not the only one being a day late and a dollar short. He inexplicably kept the beaches open as well. What a guy!

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

If you look at what Florida considers "essential" it would not surprise me that they stay open, especially if the do not permit pick up or drop off of books. 

Its confusing and people don't understand it. That's why cgc said "analyzing" in their news release. It hasn't been explained very clearly by the governor 

Btw, thanks for the fast press & transfer!

Edited by MGsimba77

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I have heard that the mods frown on political posts 'round here. Even ones framed as questions.

no question marks, he must mean world health organization

It isn't a question of IF CGC will hunker down.  They will do what they need to protect their workforce, I am absolutely certain of that.  And I have not a single concern in them doing it either.

3 hours ago, Transplant said:

Ridiculous.  Why wait one more day to close down?  

Because in Florida, the laws that govern a stay home order have no teeth, like everywhere else. In Washington, the state, thousands of "non-essential" businesses are defying the statewide stay at home order without any repercussions. My guess is that if a business, any business, decides to operate throughout the duration of a stay-home order, that's their business, their choice, and like everywhere else it seems at present, the state "order" is more of a request than an enforceable mandate. I've been keeping an eye out in the media, big and small, for any story about a non-essential business being fined or owners arrested for being open during a stay-home order and as of yet I haven't heard of any business or owner even being issue as much as a ticket.

Like you stated, 'we're doing 5 to 10% of what's actually necessary, half-hearted solutions to defeat this bio-attack". And because of that, I wouldn't make any plans for any comic conventions that are supposed to take place within the next two years at the very least. I pray I'm wrong and there's a Fall convention to attend.

17 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

It isn't a question of IF CGC will hunker down.  They will do what they need to protect their workforce, I am absolutely certain of that.  And I have not a single concern in them doing it either.

+1  All good shepherds will assure that all of their the sheep are safe!

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Not universal, but I saw photos of other restaurants that gave their employees food to take home.  My best guess, the employees probably took some, but the large majority was hopefully donated to a food bank (similar to what Disney did with all the excess food at its parks).

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Not universal, but I saw photos of other restaurants that gave their employees food to take home.  My best guess, the employees probably took some, but the large majority was hopefully donated to a food bank (similar to what Disney did with all the excess food at its parks).

We'd like to think that no leftover food goes to waste but in many cases, and I can't imagine why, it's actually illegal for a food vendor, restaurant, diner, etc., etc., to donate their leftover this and that to those that would benefit from it. My sister worked as an administrator at a college and one thing she oversaw was one of the cafeterias. Sometimes they'd have to throw out massive amounts of food, and of course they'd let the employees take what they wanted, but rules were that it couldn't be donated or brought elsewhere, even to the needy. I think it went beyond just the rules, into the actual laws against it if I remember right.