• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone Know if CGC Will Close?
4 4

568 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I agree, sadly. Big fan of CGC, but as much as I would like "business as usual" as a fan, under current conditions it's hard to make the case that their employees should travel in to the office, even in staggered shifts or what have you. I don't think it's worth the risk to their safety.

This virus is kind of the mother of all collective action problems. We all feel strong actions should be taken *in general* to encourage social distancing, but it's way too tempting to look for loopholes for ourselves. And each state has a different patchwork of rules, making decisions even more confusing.

In local news, here in NYC they just shut down the playgrounds all across the city because families were congregating there. This bums me out tremendously, because taking my son to the playground is one of the very few things he's enjoyed since everything shut down here a few weeks back. But is the city "right" to shut them down? They absolutely are. Whether I like it or not, lives will 100% be saved because they took this action.

Oh, man Point, NYC... VERY rough out there. I LOVE your mayor. Pulls no punches and call it the way it is. Our governor in CA and the mayor of LA are tops in my book. Both will get my votes when and if they come up for re-election. Our states are in the thick of it. Whatever, they tell us to do I will.

Bummer about the playgrounds. Ours got shut down a week ago along with the beaches, hiking trails, golf courses ect. It had to be done. Some people wern’t taking it seriously. Our small local park is still open. We walk the mutts there a couple times a day. People are cool and friendly from a respectable distance. If they need to close it too, I will understand and will walk the neighborhood. I’m lucky, I’ve got a garage to putter in and I’ve been working on a vintage motorcycle. I’ve got a small back yard and a patio. I’m cool. Can you walk, ride your bike or go to a park? My grandkids who I can’t see till this is over are drawing on the sidewalk with chalk and playing in the yard. We ordered them some “care packages” on Amazon. They love getting mail. Check out Sharon’s thread in the sale section. A lot of kind folks are giving stuff to kids. Hang in there, and stay safe mi amigo!

15 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Back to the direct topic of this thread....

If I’m understanding correctly, CGC will remain open.  Are they still accepting submissions?  Or are they taking this time to catch up?

Yes to all, according to CGC's statement on the home page made today that they will be remaining open, as an essential service, and in full operation, drop off and pick up included. 

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

and in full operation, drop off and pick up included.

All customer drop-offs and pick-ups at its Sarasota headquarters, including the recently implemented Contactless Curbside Pick-Ups and Drop-Offs, have been suspended.

Any additional employees who have been identified as being able to do a substantial portion of their work from home will be required to do so.

16 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Back to the direct topic of this thread....

If I’m understanding correctly, CGC will remain open.  Are they still accepting submissions?  Or are they taking this time to catch up?

In their latest news release this morning this is what they specified as being suspended, 

In addition to the enhanced cleaning and safety protocols previously instituted, including frequent cleanings of all work areas, CGC has taken the following immediate steps:

• All customer drop-offs and pick-ups at its Sarasota headquarters, including the recently implemented Contactless Curbside Pick-Ups and Drop-Offs, have been suspended.
  • Any additional employees who have been identified as being able to do a substantial portion of their work from home will be required to do so

...So I'd assume if they were suspending all submissions it would have been clearly indicated here. According to them they are still open and operating.

I can't believe people put religion above science in a case like this.
I think the Georgia Governor just said its ok people for to still gather in large crowds for church.  No wonder Steve Harvey Family Feud is so popular down there.

This is science... not time for fairy tales.

On another note...I just saw a preview to a Dr. Phil show where some insufficiently_thoughtful_person on YouTube is licking toilet seats during this crisis... and she thinks she's an awesome star... 
what's that saying, "You are are what you lick"  or something along those lines.

Edited by Red_Hood

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

That's nice.

My niece is a nurse, and with a health history that makes her vulnerable to things being very bad if she gets this virus.

Ordinarily I'd worry about her but respect her choice, but I really have to wonder if she's making the right choice to endanger herself if it means trying to save the life of a selfish POS like you.

This.

One of my best friends is a doctor. Different specialty, but she'll be drafted into this eventually and has already been trained on the ventilators and (re)-trained in how to intubate a conscious adult (first time since residency).

And she wishes she could go back to her home country - where the quarantines are far stricter - to serve because "I don't want to put my life on the line for dumb- who went on spring break in Florida."

:eek:

We've now had religion, politics, people fighting over 'freedom' across multiple pages and someone calling CGC's management idiotic.

I'd say this thread should be hooked up to a ventilator.

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

:eek:

We've now had religion, politics, people fighting over 'freedom' across multiple pages and someone calling CGC's management idiotic.

I'd say this thread should be hooked up to a ventilator.

My books are still showing Scheduled to be Graded... back on track.... THREAD SAVED !!!!  :banana:

Edited by Red_Hood

4 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

My books are still showing Scheduled to be Graded... back on track.... THREAD SAVED !!!!  :banana:

That was a close one-

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

I think the Georgia Governor just said its ok people for to still gather in large crowds for church.  No wonder Steve Harvey Family Feud is so popular down there.

On another note...I just saw a preview to a Dr. Phil show where some insufficiently_thoughtful_person on YouTube is licking toilet seats during this crisis... and she thinks she's an awesome star... 
what's that saying, "You are are what you lick"  or something along those lines.

the doctor that may treat you most likely practices a deity based religion.  it is not an unusual sight at all to see drs. praying with their patients, especially before a procedure. 

a fairy tale to some is real life to others. grace kelly, disney world/land, every kid that lost a tooth and the tooth fairy showed up, things like that.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

ignore function people...you are all free to use it

shut up - I'm free to do whatever I WANT! :jokealert:

Edited by jsilverjanet

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You're dodging my point. You know exactly what I'm saying.

You're saying that you are free to do what you want and I'm saying that is not the concept of freedom that anyone is discussing here except you.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not "dodging" your point. Your hyperbolic theoretical doesn't make any sense.

I actually am free to do what I want. I am combating any infringements on the ability to do so without further consequence. Apparently that concept has been eluded.

Roy is right.   Sorry.  Roy is right here both legally and ethically. 

And that comes from a Canadian... 

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

I could have sworn I heard on the news in the background something about a reverend or pastor being arrested for conducting mass in a state with an ordered shutdown? If I heard right, because I only caught like half of it, every other word from 2 rooms away, I can well understand that if true, causing and enabling people to gather together for any reason en masse being taboo right now, as it should be, but what I can't understand is if someone was arrested and jailed for that pending arraignment, while they're being processed into the jail system, simultaneously, there's inmates sentenced for serious crimes being released, passing this clergyman from the opposite direction as he gets booked in! doh!