• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA horror pricing!
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Just now, shiverbones said:

One example, a guy who has everything stored in 3 ring binder mylars, every issue of every run, 8.0-9.4, classic covers don’t matter, all of it, untouched for decades. It’s out there. Jaw dropping to see for me, for him, no big deal, he has stores them like that since you could buy 3 ring binder mylars

As a kid my mom was dating a guy with his comics like that,off the newsstand or subscription-beautiful books with two holes punched and a sub crease.For a short time this lucky kid had ASM 1-102 with annuals and FF 1-110!Ma,you shoulda married that one!

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

It wasn't a PCH,but what's the point of having a vg Avengers #4 if I'm not going to read it,adverts, smell,texture and all?I kept the label,maybe that'll get me a reduced sentence...

Interesting that you mentioned, "smell".  When EC's first hit the stands, brand new, the printers ink on the interior pages had a particular smell to it.  Sadly, with the passage of time, it can't be experienced today.

2 minutes ago, fifties said:

Interesting that you mentioned, "smell".  When EC's first hit the stands, brand new, the printers ink on the interior pages had a particular smell to it.  Sadly, with the passage of time, it can't be experienced today.

I can still smell it. Just this week I snuffled  in that ec smell. Funny this post came up. I can only imagine how strong it was decades ago

Edited by shiverbones

2 minutes ago, fifties said:

That's so,so-melancholy! The smell of old paper can bring me back to early childhood and the smell of new comics to teen years opening up boxes at the local when working.

4 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

Ha! These weren’t punched, just the mylars :)

:whatthe::cloud9:

Best part of his being punched was a twelve year old me was allowed to read and keep  them at our house!

3 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

I can still smell it. Just this week I snuffled  in that ec smell. Funny this post came up. I can only imagine how strong it was decades ago

I'm digging out mine tomorrow-well,some of them.I wonder if my Canadian editions are different-insert maple joke here-Most  of my EC are are,I'm niche that way :banana:

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
2 hours ago, fifties said:

And it'll always be that way.  The CGC Census can only report the books sent into them for grading.  Once that's done, the value of the book has been reduced to it's cover illustration, and a professional grade as an assist in valuation.  Raw books in the field will continue to vastly outnumber them.  I am far from the only collector who likes to read his books, and that can't be done if they are enclosed in slabs.

I busted loose a slab today! :headbang::hi:

:cloud9:

9 hours ago, fifties said:

I remember the smell of the MH books I got directly from Chuck back in the day. Kind of a cedar smell. Most of that smell is gone now but still a hint. Also of note, in several of them, when you opened them, when you opened the cover it was still slightly stuck to the first page. Obviously, never read...

Speaking of smell, old Dell’s often have a certain smell. I remember driving home from a flea market with 100 or so, raw, un-bagged books sitting on my front seat. The aroma just permeated the car. “You can tell by the smell it’s a Dell”...

11 hours ago, fifties said:

I know what you're talking about... I picked up some raw Gaines file copies when they first hit the market and they definitely had a unique "smell"...