• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ethan Van Sciver Mean Streak Directed at Creators and Retailers Alike
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I’ve never really liked his artwork.  To me, a bit overrated.  Go back a decade or so, my least favourite of the regular artists on Geoff Johns’ classic Green Lantern run.

Seems like some people embrace a filterless lifestyle, and let the chips fall where they may. I was in a small convention room with EVS years ago with a dozen other people.  It was how the show set him up for con art.  Very comfortable at a conference table and we were all sitting in chairs as our turn came up.  He was gabbing with everyone, but it never got nasty.  Never over the top. It was a great experience. He apparently decided to start letting everyone know what he thought.  I would think that was a mistake, but he seems comfortable with it. 

Whatever. If EVS thinks that half the comic shops folding won't drag the whole industry he is kidding himself. Many folks get into comics wandering into a shop, checking out the releases, etc. It may be years before they order self-published stuff. And some folks will lose interest without a shop to go to. I understand that is less so than 25 years ago, but it is still a thing. Shrinking customer base with fewer new folks. Quite literally the only reason I am into comics now is that on my walk home from law school in 1993 there was a comic shop with a decent back issue selection I would check out a couple of times a week. It rekindled whatever I had lost interest in around 1985/86.

29 minutes ago, the blob said:

Whatever. If EVS thinks that half the comic shops folding won't drag the whole industry he is kidding himself. Many folks get into comics wandering into a shop, checking out the releases, etc. It may be years before they order self-published stuff. And some folks will lose interest without a shop to go to. I understand that is less so than 25 years ago, but it is still a thing. Shrinking customer base with fewer new folks. Quite literally the only reason I am into comics now is that on my walk home from law school in 1993 there was a comic shop with a decent back issue selection I would check out a couple of times a week. It rekindled whatever I had lost interest in around 1985/86.

It is that critical.  I never really thought at all about the limitations and great fragility of this system, having grown up at a time when new comics were ubiquitous in newsagents and bookshops throughout the UK, and before any dedicated stores appeared.

Edited by Ken Aldred

hard to say, but its entirely possible that the public climate is such that some people who probably should self-filter a bit for some reason think they can be mean, make unfounded claims or unwarranted threats, and punch down can do so without consequence or possibly even raise their profile or result in being rewarded by a base of mal-adjusted folks looking to focus their fear of inadequacy.

I remember reading a topic some years ago about this guy on the Statueforum.com. He couldn't complete or was really late with commissions. And his communication was poor. I think the commission didn't turn out that well in the end if the person got it. I recall a few other people were also waiting and they jumped in to post as well. I'm fairly certain that the people paid full up front too.

From that, I concluded that I would never support this guy.

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I personally think Ethan Van Scivers art is awesome. I dont care what he thinks. If that were true Neal Adam's would be a total tool, and I love his work as well. Go figure.

I like Chris Evans movies that doesnt mean i pay attention to the gibberish he spouts.

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

I like the final comments made by Sim

This guy is certainly a paradox for me. Loved Cerebus and support him on Patreon (small amount). And I find him to be humble and a little charming in person (and on the phone). But his positions tax my patience at times.

Now this is all said without ever meeting him in his obnoxious in person phase, but have heard the stories (Colleen Doran will tell quite a few, no love lost there).

Just now, Bird said:

This guy is certainly a paradox for me. Loved Cerebus and support him on Patreon (small amount). And I find him to be humble and a little charming in person (and on the phone). But his positions tax my patience at times.

Now this is all said without ever meeting him in his obnoxious in person phase, but have heard the stories (Colleen Doran will tell quite a few, no love lost there).

i should clarify, i don't know if i agree with them, but i like to hear the inside take on many creators especially creators who's work i respect.

For all the love that some of these new creators get, i think the real impressive folks are the ones that did it on their own. from the start. especially Sim. His book went on forever.

Same with Mcfarlane. From a business sense, he's done an amazing job.