• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Masks!

37 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I'm sure Buzzetta ships a lot of his smelly, used sneakers to Japan.

People are currently using my old sneakers in California, Florida, and I am not making this up, Kentucky.

What about your used bicycle seats?

I see where a lot of people on the internet are suggesting using HEPA filter material from vacuum bags for facemasks. But at the same time there are some warning you not to use it because it contains fiberglass particles that are harmful if you breath it into your lungs.

44 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

You might rip what you sew.  But you can reap what you sow...lol.  Just teasing... :headbang:

Tell that to the tailors! They're suffering too. We all are. At least for now there's no food shortage and we can still eat what we can and what we can't, we can! hm

Edited by James J Johnson

I get a new mask three days a week (MWF) when I go to dialysis. We have to wear them the whole time after coming in the door. Been doing this for the past 3 weeks-- and before (but not forced to leave them on other than during the time we are being connected to the machine). I hang on to my old masks-- which are pretty clean in general -- and have even gave some of them to other family members who ask for them. That is probably not sterile or whatever-- but it is also not wasteful. Though I'm sure someone here will tell me how wrong I am for doing something--- there is always some know it all.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

20200325_155559.thumb.jpg.0168d0523a2393a2b47012c19ca6c08e.jpg

The dude abides! :foryou:

I'm just glad that you're looked after for supplies like that. They should go to the medical field first, if there is enough wearing one wouldn't be out of the question at all

people dealing with things like kidney dialysis are at risk more so than others-- especially older folks like myself (I am 54 which adds to the risk factors). I am by no means as bad off as some others who visit the same dialysis treatment center-- in fact I am sort of new at this, only having been treated since the aortic dissection killed my kidneys functionality- but that has only been since October 2019. Some of these poor souls have been doing this for many years and have had other problems as a result. Lots of folks with missing limbs and fragile health. I am not in great shape myself-- but I am very fortunate all things considered to not only being still breathing but only having the kidney issue (I will need a transplant someday -- but even there I am fortunate as my blood type (AB+) is the universal recipient. Anyway -- the point is that no one should ever take their health for granted.

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

people dealing with things like kidney dialysis are at risk more so than others-- especially older folks like myself (I am 54 which adds to the risk factors). I am by no means as bad off as some others who visit the same dialysis treatment center-- in fact I am sort of new at this, only having been treated since the aortic dissection killed my kidneys functionality- but that has only been since October 2019. Some of these poor souls have been doing this for many years and have had other problems as a result. Lots of folks with missing limbs and fragile health. I am not in great shape myself-- but I am very fortunate all things considered to not only being still breathing but only having the kidney issue (I will need a transplant someday -- but even there I am fortunate as my blood type (AB+) is the universal recipient. Anyway -- the point is that no one should ever take their health for granted.

Glad to see you have that mask on.  Stay safe and healthy!

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:23 PM, jaeldubyoo said:

because it contains fiberglass particles that are harmful if you breath it into your lungs.

This. Avoid! A good portion of inhaled fiberglass-type particles can remain within the lungs and can be embedded in the entire respiratory pathway, mouth, throat, trachea, nose, etc., etc. if used directly as a breathing filter, possibly presenting even a more hazardous potential than the virus itself.

On 4/3/2020 at 2:06 PM, the blob said:

. I guess this is from the research that says in some hypothetical scenario covid19 can float in the air a while, so someone 100 yards away can sneeze, it shoots 27 feet, suspends in air for a while, and then you walk into it. Also, sometimes its hard to force others to distance from you. I found myself walking in the street a bunch yesterday.

The purpose of the makeshift masks people are being asked to wear is not so much to protect the wearer; it is to protect others from people who may have covid but are asymptomatic. The idea being that if everyone is just keeping their droplets to themselves, contained in their own mask, then it will reduce the spread from the unknowingly sick. The biggest danger of covid is the fact that so many people who have it don't exhibit symptoms and therefore become super spreaders.