• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Comics
2 2

50 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.  Thieves broke into my storage locker in Las Vegas and made off with around 3000 silver and bronze age books.  All boarded and bagged.  Many CGC slabbed,  Collection includes, X-Men 1-100, DD 1-100 and almost full runs of FF, Spider-Man and almost every good release thru mid 70's.  If anyone see's or hears of large collections being offered up, especially by someone appearing sketchy, please do the right thing and contact police or respond to this post.

Take care fellow comic brothers and sisters.  We all need to look out for each other.  Stay healthy!

4 hours ago, truefan77d said:

Hi everyone.  Thieves broke into my storage locker in Las Vegas and made off with around 3000 silver and bronze age books.  All boarded and bagged.  Many CGC slabbed,  Collection includes, X-Men 1-100, DD 1-100 and almost full runs of FF, Spider-Man and almost every good release thru mid 70's.  If anyone see's or hears of large collections being offered up, especially by someone appearing sketchy, please do the right thing and contact police or respond to this post.

Take care fellow comic brothers and sisters.  We all need to look out for each other.  Stay healthy!

I e-mailed Cosmic Comics, Maximum Comics, and Alternate Reality comics to let them know.

Edited by aszumilo

Appreciate everyone's support and those who have helped alert dealers  (Aszumilo<3).  Police and PI engaged, but due to current crisis, things can't move as fast as I would like, which I do understand.  Have some insurance, but not nearly enough to recover.  Storage lockers are a giant risk (please don't scold), but for many of us with limited options, that is our only choice.  Sad but true.

Take care all....will post on any new updates.

0176153_005.jpg.a62c83437642c86f0452fa59ebddd1ef.jpg0176153_001.jpg.699a47abf1b2723f9c8539999ba22865.jpg

Man, that suks. Times aren’t bad enough right now and that happens. The Police have a lot higher priorities right now unfortunately. 

My daughter lives in Vegas and says it is shut down too. That probably includes comic shops too. I would contact them if you can. Also put Torpedo on that list. 

Their options to sell them are pretty limited right now. I would book mark some of the better ones as a search on eBay and keep checking IG. 

I hope you get them back and stay safe!

@truefan77d  This is the reply I got from Alternate Reality:

Oh noes, Andrew, I’m SO sad to hear this, as if a good person like you (or really anyone) needs to have something horrible like this happen along with all of the other sad / crazyness going on in the world / U.S. in these unimaginable times.

I will keep my ears and eyes open for anyone trying to sell what you’ve described. I haven’t had any calls for people trying to sell books since the lockdowns, I’m thinking that comic stores that are still around when the lockdowns are over are going to get a lot of calls from people trying to sell collections (thieves and non thieves).

Please let me know if you hear any developments on this.

Sincerely, Ralph Mathieu

Edited by aszumilo

9 hours ago, truefan77d said:

Appreciate everyone's support and those who have helped alert dealers  (Aszumilo<3).  Police and PI engaged, but due to current crisis, things can't move as fast as I would like, which I do understand.  Have some insurance, but not nearly enough to recover.  Storage lockers are a giant risk (please don't scold), but for many of us with limited options, that is our only choice.  Sad but true.

If you have a list of slab numbers, it might help to get that out to the local shops and maybe some of the big national dealers and auction houses.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Man, that suks. Times aren’t bad enough right now and that happens. The Police have a lot higher priorities right now unfortunately. 

My daughter lives in Vegas and says it is shut down too. That probably includes comic shops too. I would contact them if you can. Also put Torpedo on that list. 

Their options to sell them are pretty limited right now. I would book mark some of the better ones as a search on eBay and keep checking IG. 

I hope you get them back and stay safe!

And check Craigslist and local FB marketplace too.

3 hours ago, Asianassassincomics said:

I'm sorry to hear this. Were other storage lockers around you broken into? Or just yours? 

That's probably a good plan of attack to follow.  (thumbsu

Who else knows that you stored you comics in this storage locker, as I inagine it really can't be more than a few people at most, hopefully?  hm

Best of luck for the OP to find their books sooner, rather than later.  :wishluck:

12 hours ago, truefan77d said:

0176153_005.jpg.a62c83437642c86f0452fa59ebddd1ef.jpg0176153_001.jpg.699a47abf1b2723f9c8539999ba22865.jpg

Do you have more books?  Do you have certification numbers?  Both books were on the same batch starting with #176153.  Do you have submission forms or receipts?  Any info will be helpful.

2 minutes ago, Warren Oates said:

Liability of Storage Facility?  What do they promise in contract? Video?

Best of luck. Crime Never Pays, they will get theirs, just a matter of when.

Storage facilities continue to be public enemy #1 of comic hobbyists. Always have been, always will be. Sadly, it's probable that the overwhelming majority of theft is inside-job based.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Storage facilities continue to be public enemy #1 of comic hobbyists. Always have been, always will be. Sadly, it's probable that the overwhelming majority of theft is inside-job based.

Thats a lead. Is there an onsite manager?  Log on to  your states public Court access website. Run there name through and see what comes up for court cases.  Heck run everybody that works there, if something stinks ask a few questions, just polite questions, like Barnaby Jones would.  Seems to me you can't just drive onto a storage facility without a reason to be there??

How did they break in, bolt cutters, or???

Did they take everything?  Or are they coming back for more. If they are coming back set game camera up (it just snaps photos of movement), hunters use it to scout areas. 

12 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I worked at a lab and we had no problems with theft.  Someone got the bright idea we needed security guards at night.  Things immediately started disappearing like stereos.  They were busted fairly quickly and we got new security guards.  Yeah that'll fix 'er.  Employee theft blows shoplifting right outta the water.