• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Comics
2 2

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Storage facilities continue to be public enemy #1 of comic hobbyists.

Well, from several long time collectors with rather extensive collections who I have heard about, the real public enemy #1 for comic hobbyists is your better half who is suddenly no longer your better half.  :gossip:  :slapfight:

26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from several long time collectors with rather extensive collections who I have heard about, the real public enemy #1 for comic hobbyists is your better half who is suddenly no longer your better half.  :gossip:  :slapfight:

pre nuptial comic agreement.  unfortunately you cant make pre storage unit non theft agreement.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, truefan77d said:

Hi everyone.  Thieves broke into my storage locker in Las Vegas and made off with around 3000 silver and bronze age books.  All boarded and bagged.  Many CGC slabbed,  Collection includes, X-Men 1-100, DD 1-100 and almost full runs of FF, Spider-Man and almost every good release thru mid 70's.  If anyone see's or hears of large collections being offered up, especially by someone appearing sketchy, please do the right thing and contact police or respond to this post.

Take care fellow comic brothers and sisters.  We all need to look out for each other.  Stay healthy!

how long a period of time was it between you last seeing the collection in storage and noticing it was stolen?

I ask because I didn't read where you stated the potential time period that the books might have been taken. I can imagine some folks don't visit their storage stuff for many months at a time. Regardless-- a better idea of knowing when this possibly happened might help track the books movement.

Just a quick update....well no update actually. 

A detective has been assigned to my case, but has yet to investigate although it has been over a week since I reported it.  So forget everything you see on TV about them coming quickly to the scene of the crime, doing fingerprints, interviewing witnesses.  Ain't happening.  Understand in these COVID times one can't expect things to move quickly, but not even a phone call?

Cant reveal too much on the storage locker details without compromising investigation.  One thing to put out (and will do a pitfalls of the storage locker industry later) is to really really tell everyone to look over their contract (10 pages in my case) if they have a locker.  Did you know that the storage locker company cannot even be held liable when a break-in is caused by negligence on their part?  They can pretty much leave the gate open and forget to turn off the alarms.  You and your lock are on your own.  That is the risk one takes.  Crazy!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the concern and support.  Will keep posting news as I get it.  Hopefully something good eventually.

Hopefully, these were insured. I had three storage units in Henderson until last year and my home owners insurance covered a break in. The storage units I used insisted you have insurance or buy theirs.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:18 AM, lou_fine said:
On 4/5/2020 at 1:27 AM, James J Johnson said:

Storage facilities continue to be public enemy #1 of comic hobbyists.

Well, from several long time collectors with rather extensive collections who I have heard about, the real public enemy #1 for comic hobbyists is your better half who is suddenly no longer your better half.  

Unfortunately, the largest culprit is the internet and people posting their collections for everyone to admire. It's almost like telling everyone how much money you have and asking thieves to try to find out where you keep it.

If you're going to do that you should probably have everything locked down and fully insured.

On 4/5/2020 at 1:27 AM, James J Johnson said:

Storage facilities continue to be public enemy #1 of comic hobbyists. Always have been, always will be. Sadly, it's probable that the overwhelming majority of theft is inside-job based.

There was a local theft here last year out of a collector's locker in his condo building.  The building had great security, but I suppose those locker facilities are still generally open to anyone in the building...those books ended up on Facebook, I highly recommend you spend a lot of time looking on Facebook (as well as the other sites).  You'd be amazed that these thiefs were dumb enough to post the books right from their public profile...

13 hours ago, truefan77d said:

Just a quick update....well no update actually. 

A detective has been assigned to my case, but has yet to investigate although it has been over a week since I reported it.  So forget everything you see on TV about them coming quickly to the scene of the crime, doing fingerprints, interviewing witnesses.  Ain't happening.  Understand in these COVID times one can't expect things to move quickly, but not even a phone call?

Cant reveal too much on the storage locker details without compromising investigation.  One thing to put out (and will do a pitfalls of the storage locker industry later) is to really really tell everyone to look over their contract (10 pages in my case) if they have a locker.  Did you know that the storage locker company cannot even be held liable when a break-in is caused by negligence on their part?  They can pretty much leave the gate open and forget to turn off the alarms.  You and your lock are on your own.  That is the risk one takes.  Crazy!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the concern and support.  Will keep posting news as I get it.  Hopefully something good eventually.

I really hope the police involvement has a positive outcome; but even at the best of times and the best police investigations there isn't a lot they can (or will) do.  

I strongly recommend you contact all the large online comic companies that buy collections.  I would not be surprised if the thieves contacted a company like 'sellmycomicbooks' (just using them as an example) looking to quickly get rid of the stolen collection.  Not every thief is sophisticated enough to launder stolen slabs by cracking them out of their case and sending them off to CGC.  

Sorry this happened it sucks. I will keep an eye out. It would be helpful if you have a list, I know I’m on the market for some  x men books, so will keep an eye out for anything I come across that might be suspect.

Edited by Krismusic

8 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Unfortunately, the largest culprit is the internet and people posting their collections for everyone to admire. It's almost like telling everyone how much money you have and asking thieves to try to find out where you keep it.

If you're going to do that you should probably have everything locked down and fully insured.

This is true

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
8 hours ago, VintageComics said:

This is true

No, no it isn’t.  We shouldn’t blame people for being burglarized any more then we would for being assaulted (walking in that neighborhood) or raped (wearing that sexy outfit).  The culprit in this case is the thief.

relying solely on the police is not advisable based on previous reports of theft and how things panned out. Most of the people I have seen have any luck recovering any of their items was through the detective assitance of many of the people from these forums. Sharing as much of the information helps provide a better understanding of the theft- and knowing simple things like WHEN it happened is basic. So pardon me if I find your response to sound ridiculous.  You are basically hindering the people who can help you the most.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

No, no it isn’t.  We shouldn’t blame people for being burglarized any more then we would for being assaulted (walking in that neighborhood) or raped (wearing that sexy outfit).  The culprit in this case is the thief.

You're right. Culprit is probably the wrong word.

Although the internet does enable thieves.

For example, I wouldn't walk down the street if I had $20K in my pocket and advertise it out loud. I would be well within my right to but I'd also be putting a lot of effort into enabling someone to steal from me.

Unfortunately, that's the reality.

Edited by VintageComics

35 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

relying solely on the police is not advisable based on previous reports of theft and how things panned out. Most of the people I have seen have any luck recovering any of their items was through the detective assitance of many of the people from these forums. Sharing as much of the information helps provide a better understanding of the theft- and knowing simple things like WHEN it happened is basic. So pardon me if I find your response to sound ridiculous.  You are basically hindering the people who can help you the most.

Yes.  I live in a big and here the police will not act on crimes that are non violent or do not rise to felonies.  Had two wheels stolen right off my new car.  Officer told me even if he knew who stole them there was nothing he could do, as the Court process would result in nothing.  That and the fact that they have a lot to do, if you are in a big town don't count on the police doing anything unless you have violence or a felony.

1 hour ago, Warren Oates said:

Yes.  I live in a big and here the police will not act on crimes that are non violent or do not rise to felonies.  Had two wheels stolen right off my new car.  Officer told me even if he knew who stole them there was nothing he could do, as the Court process would result in nothing.  That and the fact that they have a lot to do, if you are in a big town don't count on the police doing anything unless you have violence or a felony.

Especially now, when resourcefulness, presence of mind, and self-reliance are the keys to coming out of this Covid meat-grinder in one piece.

that is not the main point I was making-- I am referring to the ability of fellow collectors being the best resource to help you track down the items. Restricting the information you provide is not helping - it is as if you are purposely avoiding doing what works or has worked for others.

4 hours ago, Warren Oates said:

In Nevada, grand larceny is $650 or more. It is a felony.

The national clearance rate for property crimes has never broken 20%, and that rate is propped up by auto thefts which are easier to solve. When it comes to recovering your stolen property, if it’s not a car, you’re foolish to expect law enforcement to have success. 88B81A1D-316F-43DE-B397-DBDF4E3179FA.png.d11f0c47c427e18b2286dcc0bd843023.png

Withholding information from this thread because it might compromise the law enforcement investigation is like waiting two weeks to turn on your sprinkler so you can give your drunk uncle’s rain dance a chance to work.