• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, it was those 2 nasty Chinese spies who stole it from a Canadian lab and in their rush to bring it back to their virology lab in Wuhan, ended up........oops....big big oops.......dropping it on the floor of their lab in all their excitement at having just stolen the perfect biological weapon.  :whee:  :juggle:  :fear:

It’s 28 Days Later

Saw a particular book that was 11hrs left on auction, it was at $105.00.

I thought I had a chance on it, but only for a couple hundred more.

So I kept my eye on it....literally in the last ten seconds the auction increased by $300...collectibles have yet to see the effect of Covid19 IMO.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:58 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

Saw a particular book that was 11hrs left on auction, it was at $105.00.

I thought I had a chance on it, but only for a couple hundred more.

So I kept my eye on it....literally in the last ten seconds the auction increased by $300...collectibles have yet to see the effect of Covid19 IMO.

One auction for one book jumped $200 at the end, so the entire collectibles market is doing fine?

The drive through lane at a Chik-Fil-A in Nashville was packed when I drove by today. The entire restaurant industry will be relieved to hear that it has nothing to fear.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

So during the height of summer your state is all going to be inside with 90-100 degree weather, kids screaming, wife or husband annoying most,  economy crippled, and people out of work.  Yeah I will take the economic deaths with be greater than CV deaths.... and I thought my Governor was a tool bag lol

However, if things get better of course your state has the power to rescind such mandates.  (shrug)

All I know is if my pansy state lets us to things before yours does that is very bad luck for you!  :whatthe:

Either way stay safe! :foryou:

I don't think stay at home means stay inside. Maybe it does. People are still allowed out here in NYC. The cops may scream at you if you're in a group congregating. Our parks are open. I think you can walk on the frozen beach. Of course maybe that's why so many folks are dying, but it is easy enough to go outside and be 10-15 feet away from others. I have a tough time seeing it going to memorial day. But maybe I'm just delusionally optimistic. .. But you keep on talking about economic issues... If businesses stay open and 50, 60% of the employees get sick, where does that get them? The problem is there isn't enough PPE out there. No reason mycs or cgc or any number of places can't operate with reduced staff in staggered shifts to give everyone space, but if folks don't have ppe ....

On 4/5/2020 at 10:38 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I am for sure not a fan of Lee.  To be fair NYC has a lot more people and more international travel.  I think there are some other factors that come in play I yes I generally agree with you.

I am not saying he is handling this bad, I am still frustrated that an amazing city like SF has gone so downhill.  Talking pre corona now.

nyc has a subway and bus system that might as well be an incubation chamber. I was frigging terrified on the subway until March 16... The last day I commuted. And of course March 16 I had to get in by 9, so I was on a crowded train. With that said, new cases probably post date when a lot of folks would have started staying home. I could still fall ill from a 3/16 exposure, but it's unlikely. More likely I get sick from a grocery run. Dropping stuff off for my mother at a nursing home was scarey.

Edited by the blob

On 4/10/2020 at 1:31 AM, october said:

One auction for one book jumped $200 at the end, so the entire collectibles market is doing fine?

The drive through lane at a Chik-Fil-A in Nashville was packed when I drove by today. The entire restaurant industry will be relieved to hear that it has nothing to fear.

Recently, Someone bought a 5.0 New Mutants 98 in an auction with 39 bidders $200 above fair market value, so there is that too.

People on Instagram are running live auctions non stop, (in which I follow) like Torpedo comics and people are buying books at fair market value or above.

Am I saying the economy is stable or doing fine, no that's not what I'm saying, but what I am saying is "Hobbies are fun, and in a time like this people are more apt to do something that makes them feel good then not" 

But nevertheless if there comes a point where I can get an ASM 129 9.8 for $1000 then I'm going to do that, as for now things seem fine in the comics market, outside of people pumping non stop fear that our collectibles will soon be worthless.

What I can say is people may not be able to afford them, which has nothing to do with a restaurant being filled or not, and everything to do with people worrying about the value of their books and jumping ship (selling for less then FMV) at the first sign of economic adversity.

Unlike most assets collectibles are far different then stocks, the only similarity is that there is a dollar sign attached to it. For example if people stop buying apple iPhones then Apple stocks will go down, if people stop buying books then the value goes into stasis, The difference too is that there is a company having to continously pump out its product in order to stay in business. (When it comes to no longer going out to dinner it is inevitable that restaurants will go out of business, they have an overhead to cover, food goes bad) Clearly a ridiculously horrible comparison, I mean I'm not even sure what you were thinking to use that analogy. Pffft

The great thing about collectibles is that the collectors set the value of the book, so you have a large group of people selling the same book for a consistent window of value (say between $200-300) then you get an idea for its FMV, but a collectible doesn't rot if it is preserved correctly and you dont have to cover an overhead like restaurants or technology firms like Apple with readily available stocks, it just sits.

I personally lost my job over Covid19 but I'd rather burn my books before I resort to selling them for less then they are worth, and that is just my opinion.

Edited by Hollywood1892

5 hours ago, the blob said:

The stock market is doing ok this week

I am leery on this. I think we are just in the beginning stages of the economic shake down.  Unemployment numbers continue to go up, small companies (both large and small), may have been paying their employees this month, but how long can they keep that up if income dries up?  Universal just announced they are closed thru June, and Disney is probably on the same tract.   Once the stimulus checks get spent, then I think the real economy will appear, and the stock market will drop down again, before it ramps up.  

10 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I am leery on this. I think we are just in the beginning stages of the economic shake down.  Unemployment numbers continue to go up, small companies (both large and small), may have been paying their employees this month, but how long can they keep that up if income dries up?  Universal just announced they are closed thru June, and Disney is probably on the same tract.   Once the stimulus checks get spent, then I think the real economy will appear, and the stock market will drop down again, before it ramps up.  

Depends on your investment horizon.  Market generally moves in the direction of moving averages, most modeling is built around those numbers.  
Market is still below the daily 50MA & 200MA. 
Market went above the weekly 200MA and has held it for the past two days, which is good.   
If I had to take a wild guess, it will close in on the 2909-2995 before it either trades sideways at a massive indecision point or it rejects and heads back down to the weekly 200MA.

Q61w5jp.jpgoPMbsZk.jpg

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

Mass furloughing will generate inflated unemployment numbers for the next 2-3 months. The SBA loans, while having access challenges, will start going out in the next few weeks as well.

I'm not going to pretend that things are great but statistics need context.

My MCS sales were completely normal until they shut down. 

My C-link art sales were pretty much in line with what I expected. The stuff that I got wasn't really a steal I don't think. Marginally maybe. Tough to gage. 

The only fire type sale I've experienced is buying a shop that had a 10 year lease expiring literally this month, but that's just a perfect storm scenario. 

The art purchases I've made at Ebay auction may have been a tad lower than usual. Nothing brag worthy. 

Honestly, from my perspective things have barely changed. I wouldn't have noticed a thing if not for trying to. 

If things do start getting bad I'm staying a buyer for a long time. In this climate as long as you are patient and make the right moves you can come out on the other end of it relatively unscathed. Example? Even if my Clink art sold a little lower than it would have, I bought about 1/2 the same amount. No $ going out. Some coming in. New art I like more.

No MCS sales, but buying this store will keep my people doing Ebay/Amazon/Facebook/Insta for months. Word on the street is that those venues are doing fairly well. 

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What would I do with all the broken plastic?(slabs)

lol

Use it as a food tray? 

Edited by Krismusic