• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, namisgr said:
14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

There's nothing to stop someone getting their 'friend' to bid a comic up on any auction site and there is no way for an auction house to prevent it.

Trust me, you don't need shill bidders to crush GPA records at the major auction houses.  I'm just one of many sellers able to do it for the past ten years now.  I think that certain genres of scarce and sought after material are still selling well.  I just went through selling 71 Marvel early bronze age ultra high grade books at auction in March (not via Heritage), and the results once again exceeded expectations based on GPA and other market sources.  With everyone at home with little to do, auctions are getting a lot of attention and eyeballs these days.

I was speaking to the propensity of some being unscrupulous and not how to achieve record numbers. I have had offers of people wanting to bid my auctions up for me. I've always said only bid what you're willing to pay and I've even stated numerous times on here how my auctions seemed to take their time to build in any site while comparable books reach a large percentage of fair market value early on.

But I agree that if you have poor products no amount of shill bidding will set records.

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

And for genres with falling prices, what better time to buy?

As I said earlier, some people are buying furiously right now.

23 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

I've heard from reputable people about shenanigans on CLINK as well.  When you get into, in this case, comic books worth thousands and tens of thousands of dollars that can attract some shenanigans... hm

I have heard similar rumours as well nothing ever verified or proven.. 

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:
On 4/14/2020 at 6:03 PM, trmoore54 said:

I've heard from reputable people about shenanigans on CLINK as well.  When you get into, in this case, comic books worth thousands and tens of thousands of dollars that can attract some shenanigans... hm

Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't really bif on CL auctions anymore then.  (thumbsu

I don't really care much for their auction format since it tends to encourage snipe bidding if you really want to win something.  I prefer auction formats whereby you know exactly what you have to bid in order to win something.  Then again, it's really a case of to each , their own as I know many bidders who also prefer the CL format over the HA or CC auction format.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:
On 4/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, trmoore54 said:

Josh once came on this site and addressed the problem of shill bidding and specifically said it was forbidden and anybody caught doing it would be punished (I can't remember what it was but maybe banning them from the site) so I think he takes it very seriously on Clink.

But there is nothing to stop your friend from bidding on your books. The only danger/consequence there is that if you (or your friend) end up winning it, you are paying for the book and out the 10% commission.

One purchase isn't a trend, but I made an offer on a silver age mega key last summer and was turned down. Made the same offer again this week and got it. 

My offer was 3/4 of the asking price.

Edited by MatterEaterLad

On 4/10/2020 at 10:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

Slim pickings in the next CLink auction.  I wonder how many buyers told Clink to pull their books?  Usually there are almost 15-20 pages of listings for original art.  This month there are 6.  The sessions were divided into two as well with the first containing 4 pages of listings and the other session containing 2 pages of listings.  

Very strong chance CLink held back this session or their consigners asked them to.

Not sure which ComicLink auction you're talking about? I was just on their site. The current auction has 195 pages. Next month's auction already has 12 pages and they're still accepting consignments.

38 minutes ago, taro90 said:

Not sure which ComicLink auction you're talking about? I was just on their site. The current auction has 195 pages. Next month's auction already has 12 pages and they're still accepting consignments.

Page 104 and onward of the current April auction are all sold listings from the last auction.

52 minutes ago, taro90 said:

11 minutes ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

Page 104 and onward of the current April auction are all sold listings from the last auction.

Yes... and this month there are only 6 pages of art listings... and nothing that is of the caliber that Clink has been auctioning off in the last year. 

A friend of mine told me that one of the big auction houses was asking around for consignments for upcoming auctions.  He turned them down in this market. However I did propose to him to list things in a more controlled environment on their respective exchanges. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Yes... and this month there are only 6 pages of art listings... and nothing that is of the caliber that Clink has been auctioning off in the last year. 

A friend of mine told me that one of the big auction houses was asking around for consignments for upcoming auctions.  He turned them down in this market. However I did propose to him to list things in a more controlled environment on their respective exchanges. 

Yeah, I just checked it again. It's 104 pages. But that's still pretty good considering all the stuff they managed to auction every month.

Actually, Douglas from ComicLink sent me an "checking in" email on Monday asking for consignments. Heritage last month sent me a similar email. But, Heritage always ask about consignments. Last year they offered me a 0% seller's premium if I was to consign at least 6K worth of CGC graded comics. I never took them up on their offer. I'm still not ready to part with the bulk of my collection yet.

6 minutes ago, taro90 said:

Last year they offered me a 0% seller's premium if I was to consign at least 6K worth of CGC graded comics.

In today's marketplace, $6K really doesn't sound like that much when it comes to collectible comic books and yet they were already willing to drop the SP completely!!!  :whatthe:

Makes me wonder how much more it would take for them to start giving you back some of the BP juice then?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

In today's marketplace, $6K really doesn't sound like that much when it comes to collectible comic books and yet they were already willing to drop the SP completely!!!  :whatthe:

Makes me wonder how much more it would take for them to start giving you back some of the BP juice then?  hm

Actually, it was only $5K. Just found the email. If they're offering 0% SP, I don't think they'll be offering any BP.

IMG_3016.jpg

Edited by taro90

8 hours ago, AndyFish said:

eBay sales have been great.  

What is your e-bay store?  I'd love to check to see what people are doing to get these great sales (my sales have been ok but lacking).

Just heard today the USA $350 billion...yes, with a b...for small business loans is ALL GONE!  That took like 2 weeks.  My wife (co-owner with her 2 sisters of their business...about 20 employees) applied the first few days and got approved.  Amazing when you think about the number.  I sure hope a lot of restaurants got their fair share...