• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Plus there's so many free listings

200 a month! Yeah I seen a avenging spiderman, how the heck I miss listing that! Some books if you missed took a big hit. Shazam ms marvel. Same here though just tying up lose ends. Pretty much anything that has been in movie or show I have sold. Thought I would miss some books, nope not at all. Plus the newest reprints are pretty good, way better than the true believers. May never keep a af 15 hulk 181 etc again unless market crashes. 

40 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There were some books in the Platinum session of HA's last auction that underperformed, imo. Overall, though, if there are a lot of screaming bargains in recent auctions, I missed them. 

I didn't look at it. Not sure how many bargains I see on heritage so dont follow them too closely. But platinum age would be possible now. Over 5 grand might be some deals. Just anything popular and can be bought with a stimulus check is selling great.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:25 AM, oldbsturgeon said:

Since all of this began I started going on instagram a lot and have been watching lots of claim sales and auctions. Notably the elitecomics11 remedy tour broadcasts are getting tons of sales and getting some prices I am surprised at too. Same goes for the torpedo comics streams, basically getting graded prices on raw.

occasionally I have seen comments in the stream saying the prices are high which gets shut down really quickly, but it doesn’t seem to affect buying anyway 

This.  i've noticed some pretty high prices on these IG live broadcasts where buyers are just relying on someone telling them a raw book's grade during the broadcast with no real close-ups or interior inspection of the book.  Some of these prices are sticker prices you would see at cons and, boom, the books are getting sold very quickly.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:03 PM, Myowncollector said:

I didn't look at it. Not sure how many bargains I see on heritage so dont follow them too closely. But platinum age would be possible now. Over 5 grand might be some deals. Just anything popular and can be bought with a stimulus check is selling great.

Heritage is a pain. You have to add buyer's premium and then nearly an extra 10% for taxes. It's hard to figure out exactly what the final ticket price will be. I've been burned a few times by not doing enough research into their additional costs.

5 hours ago, bb8 said:

Heritage is a pain. You have to add buyer's premium and then nearly an extra 10% for taxes. It's hard to figure out exactly what the final ticket price will be. I've been burned a few times by not doing enough research into their additional costs.

100%

The reason FMV on books are so inflated

21 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

FMV = "Fair Market Value"

If something is "FMV", how can it be "inflated"? Asking for a friend.

Well for example before a sale on HA a 9.8 of ASM 50 was $34,000 because of the sales premium on HA after auction the book was $58,000.

But do you even collect?

Asking for a friend

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well for example before a sale on HA a 9.8 of ASM 50 was $34,000 because of the sales premium on HA after auction the book was $58,000.

But do you even collect?

Asking for a friend

Inflation.

This week in your collection?

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread

L2R. 2c

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Totally confused

You gave me an outdated inflation chart

Where are you in "this week in your collection?"

And I can't make sense of the other thread

Also what does

L2R mean?

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Totally confused

You gave me an outdated inflation chart

Where are you in "this week in your collection?"

And I can't make sense of the other thread

Also what does

L2R mean?

1. Incorrect.
  2. Everywhere.
  3. Surprised.

To be honest, I have cash and I like nice things, but I don't feel comfortable buying comics just now.

So, I'm really surprised at how well overall sales are doing. I think it's good that the economy is resilient but I keep thinking there is a reckoning that's going to happen sometime in the near future.

6 hours ago, bb8 said:

Massively.

Far too many ifs, buts and maybes with their auctions. You never know where you stand until beyond the last minute, even if you have actually won a book, and as you say all the extras are a deal breaker anyway.

And call me crazy, but I've never been comfortable with an auction house that operates out of a state where 'shill bidding' is in fact legal. 

Edited by G G ®
ytpo

2 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Massively.

Far too many ifs, buts and maybes with their auctions. You never know where you stand until beyond the last minute, even if you have actually won a book, and as you say all the extras are a deal breaker anyway.

And call me crazy, but I've never been comfortable with an auction house that operates out of a state where 'shill bidding' is in fact legal. 

Yeah its ridiculous 

And the only benefit to the company is the rarity of some of the books they acquire

4 minutes ago, romanheart said:

but I don't feel comfortable buying comics just now.

I get where you are coming from because I feel exactly the same about Football.

For me during this pandemic, I have immersed myself back into the world of comic books, bought a few nice books and sold a couple. Maintaining focus on the hobby I love has really helped me deal with the day to day much more effectively.

But I guess it's each to his own.

2 minutes ago, G G ® said:

For me during this pandemic, I have immersed myself back into the world of comic books, bought a few nice books and sold a couple. Maintaining focus on the hobby I love has really helped me deal with the day to day much more effectively.

But I guess it's each to his own.

I'm in the same boat...tragedy brings people closer together, and collecting in a hobby we all love Unites us!

I have spent a considerable amount of money in the last 60 days