• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You asked for a link; I gave you a link. Did you even click on it? That is not "trolling".

I don't want to engage with you and I don't want you quoting my posts, you came on this thread and went at me for a comment on FMV which I perceived as contentious, so please just stop responding to me and stay away from me, how hard is that?

And yes I clicked on it, you stated books you bought, didn't provide pictures and used emojis to describe your disdain with providing factual evidence of purchases

Incorrect and facepalm-worthy. Not worth potentially earning "points" one way or another.

Edit: Also completely off-topic and not worth getting the thread nerfed. Some gotta stop taking and making things personal.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 5/17/2020 at 10:03 PM, Myowncollector said:
On 5/17/2020 at 9:20 PM, Sqeggs said:

There were some books in the Platinum session of HA's last auction that underperformed, imo. Overall, though, if there are a lot of screaming bargains in recent auctions, I missed them. 

I didn't look at it. Not sure how many bargains I see on heritage so dont follow them too closely. But platinum age would be possible now. Over 5 grand might be some deals. Just anything popular and can be bought with a stimulus check is selling great.

Actually, Heritage's Platinum Session consists of the best books and OA in the auction rather than Platinum Age books. There were some that underperformed, at least to the extent of finishing well below guide. Four Color 9 and Young Allies 1 come to mind. There were some others as well that I noticed as I followed the auction. Of course, most books still did well but the results seemed spottier than normal. 

15 hours ago, bb8 said:

Heritage is a pain. You have to add buyer's premium and then nearly an extra 10% for taxes. It's hard to figure out exactly what the final ticket price will be. I've been burned a few times by not doing enough research into their additional costs.

Although they do show you the price + BP at the time you bid, so that calculation is done for you. The sales tax is definitely a significant bite, depending on what state you live in. There was some discussion when they (and other auction houses) first began collecting it whether we would see a decline in prices (net of the tax) but the answer to this point seems to be no. 

55 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Although they do show you the price + BP at the time you bid, so that calculation is done for you. The sales tax is definitely a significant bite, depending on what state you live in. There was some discussion when they (and other auction houses) first began collecting it whether we would see a decline in prices (net of the tax) but the answer to this point seems to be no. 

I wen on a deep dive to try and figure out Heritage taxes and it was very hazy and unclear. Even something as simple as shipping and handling is not easily spelled out. Yeah, it's on the buyer to figure that out. But they certainly don't make it easy.

12 hours ago, romanheart said:

To be honest, I have cash and I like nice things, but I don't feel comfortable buying comics just now.

So, I'm really surprised at how well overall sales are doing. I think it's good that the economy is resilient but I keep thinking there is a reckoning that's going to happen sometime in the near future.

For some reason, I have the same thought.  To some degree, I'm just nervous I'll lose my job the next day after I make a big purchase.

24 minutes ago, tdotcbc84 said:

For some reason, I have the same thought.  To some degree, I'm just nervous I'll lose my job the next day after I make a big purchase.

You guys are the minority for sure. Took a peak at eb n cc and its business as usual. I been spending $ like crazy. No big books. I have to get something at half off at least to buy it so I don't get big books too often online. Nothing even over a grand. Rarely over a 100. But just so many sellers I keep finding long term spec books, or something I want to read but never will. Just keep finding a lot of stuff. Buy enough small amount items and it adds up. But yeah I wouldn't recommend buying anything at fmv right now. Regression is coming on a lot of books. A lot of people are going to be out of work for a long time. At least until next year. If books go up it will be because of the weak dollar and more stimulus packages. I never want to have any cash but especially wouldn't want to now. Can easily see dollar getting weaker. I spend $ soon as I get it, buy comics, stocks, gold, silver, anything is better than cash. Put everything on credit so in 6 to 12 months maybe I am paying it off with monopoly money. I am selling everything that makes sense to sell. If comic market regresses I am ready to buy. So many people dont worry about losing a job or what happens when they cant flip books for a fast profit that there will be a lot of sellers still and even fewer buyers. I think a lot of comic shops will go out of business as well. Put on your mask and hit the store closing sales. 

8 hours ago, tdotcbc84 said:

Why wouldn't you just sell the book then?

That's the way I look at it (and convince my significant other) your buying money...something you enjoy that is actually worth something in resale, unlike a car which devalues 30% as soon as it is driven off the lot, same with computer technology as it is always evolving.

1 minute ago, romanheart said:

and it's not a good idea to finance your purchases if you can help it.

Better safe than sorry.

My mom is penny-pinching as much as possible. She is unsure if the company she works for will make it out of this economic mess. She has to prepare for the worst.

I've always spent almost as much as I bring in. Right now, I'm not spending a lot on collectibles. I'm paying off my bills, buying food, and other supplies that I may need. Comic books are certainly not a necessity.

I won't judge anyone for the amount of purchases they're completing right now. A lot; A little; None. Just don't look at them as "investments" when actual money is losing value, unemployment is skyrocketing, and there are no guarantees other than death and taxes.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Why wouldn't you just sell the book then?

That's the way I look at it (and convince my significant other) your buying money...something you enjoy that is actually worth something in resale, unlike a car which devalues 30% as soon as it is driven off the lot, same with computer technology as it is always evolving.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Comic books are not money. You lose taxes, shipping, etc if you have to resell immediately.

Money is safe. Comic books (all collectibles) aren't.

To answer @Hollywood1892 , I like @theCapraAegagrus 's answer.

You make the assumption that the value of comics never drop, and the method of transaction is fee-less / tax-less.  Whenever someone like me buys from HA, CL, or even eBay, I am subject to taxes or customs.  And don't forget about the ridiculous shipping prices I will have to endure.

A $1000 comic that I buy off HA, might end up costing me $1200-$1300 after it is all said and done.  GPA will record it as a $1000 sale.  You really think I can sell my $1000 for $1300 the next month if I lose my job?  Now lets expand that dollar amount to $10K or $100K books.  Sorry, I don't want to play that game.  I am also very adverse to risk.

Having said that, before I make any comic purchase, I basically tell myself, if I can only get 50% of the value I paid, do I still want to purchase?  If the answer is yes, then I will make the purchase :) To enjoy owning something I love!

Additionally, if I see a nice book I have been looking for, and I really want it....  I'm still making purchases right now.  I'm just more careful with my money these days.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I won't judge anyone for the amount of purchases they're completing right now. A lot; A little; None. Just don't look at them as "investments" when actual money is losing value, unemployment is skyrocketing, and there are no guarantees other than death and taxes.

Another CC auction ends tonight. It should serve as our canary in the coal mine at this exact instant

hint: I AM that canary