• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't suggest making assumptions of others' education without any knowledge to fall back on. 2c

The Risks of Investing in Art and Collectibles

:popcorn:

Where in that entire article was pandemics or recessions mentioned?

That is the entire point of this thread

Even when there is no pandemic those threats will still exists, those threats will always exists, but if your in the game for a quick flip, best of luck

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Where in that entire article was pandemics or recessions mentioned?

That is the entire point of this thread

Even when there is no pandemic those threats will still exists, those threats will always exists, but if your in the game for a quick flip, best of luck

Your assertion: "...the value of collectibles arent affected by the downturn in a market the same way stocks are..."

The article: "It is a mistake to believe that collectibles are immune to the performance of the greater financial markets—in general, the better the overall market, the better the collectible markets."

Goal posts matter.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

The article: "It is a mistake to believe that collectibles are immune to the performance of the greater financial markets—in general, the better the overall market, the better the collectible markets."

Goal posts matter.

Show me which keys have been affected by Covid19?

I do recall you suggesting I take a remedial class in English

With the evidence that it would assist in proper English communication, yes. By no means was it an assumption that you hadn't been educated at least once. Refresher courses are often required to remember/execute something. Rarely does someone 'master' something with a single lesson.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Show me which keys have been affected by Covid19?

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America Silver Age keys have all gone down in asking prices on eBay (of the few I follow).

Regardless of this particular tangent, that was not the premise I was refuting. Goal posts matter.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America Silver Age keys have all gone down in asking prices on eBay (of the few I follow).

Regardless of this particular tangent, that was not the premise I was refuting. Goal posts matter.

Well

I haven't seen it like you have seen it

Prices are still selling strong at Auctions

Have I got a few books under FMV? Yes of course, but I rarely pay FMV 

Maybe I'm being repetitive but selling price on ASM 50 has gone up $250 in the past month, at least according to reputable sites...

Is it a buyers market, that remains to be seen, but collectibles has always been a buyers market

24 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Its interesting when people think they have studied economics, but they don't realize the value of collectibles arent affected by the downturn in a market the same way stocks are...buy what you love, you only live once, just don't spend beyond your means 

I think during a downturn, everyone looks for value.  It can be comics, gold, real estate, stocks, magic cards, you name it!!  Heck, have you seen the value of sports cards lately???  Tons of cards have gone 10x in value!

I'll agree with your last statement: "just don't spend beyond your means" ..... AMEN!

Well

I haven't seen it like you have seen it

Prices are still selling strong at Auctions

Have I got a few books under FMV? Yes of course, but I rarely pay FMV 

Maybe I'm being repetitive but selling price on ASM 50 has gone up $250 in the past month, at least according to reputable sites...

Is it a buyers market, that remains to be seen, but collectibles has always been a buyers market

Of course. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Right now, from anecdotal evidence, prices seem to favor buyers. Cost decreases always favor the buyer.

If you want to "invest" in comics, by all means, go ahead. I'm not going to stop you. I would like to stop the narrative that comics/collectibles are a "good investment", though. As you mentioned - just buy what you like. If it appreciates in value, and you choose to sell one day, great! If not - don't be surprised. It's important to temper expectations.

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Has comfort food stocks gone up?

not sure but unfortunately the "meats" have, poor Arby's and "we have the meats!" lol 4 steaks around here are like $45, just don't eat them with ketchup :devil: 

:tink: 

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

not sure but unfortunately the "meats" have, poor Arby's and "we have the meats!" lol 4 steaks around here are like $45, just don't eat them with ketchup :devil: 

:tink: 

What kind? I can usually get four 8 oz tenderloin steaks for about $40. That is the best cut, too...

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What kind? I can usually get four 8 oz tenderloin steaks for about $40. That is the best cut, too...

all I know is they're ribeye's from Sam's, I usually buy a 3-4 pack :shy: for $30 a couple of weeks ago, now they're $45

I was getting a bone in ribeye at the grocery store for like $25-30 depending on size, but you had to have they're rewards card etc.

Sam's seems to be declining by me. Last time they didn't have any hamburger meat, and they said it was because they're "meat wrapper was broken" :insane: 

Regular striploins were always under $30, but now with that covid at a meat plant here in Texas that was a "hot spot", even the striploins are above $30.....

Hopefully it doesn't last long :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

all I know is they're ribeye's from Sam's, I usually buy a 3-4 pack :shy: for $30 a couple of weeks ago, now they're $45

I was getting a bone in ribeye at the grocery store for like $25-30 depending on size, but you had to have they're rewards card etc.

Sam's seems to be declining by me. Last time they didn't have any hamburger meat, and they said it was because they're "meat wrapper was broken" :insane: 

Regular striploins were always under $30, but now with that covid at a meat plant here in Texas that was a "hot spot", even the striploins are above $30.....

Hopefully it doesn't last long :) 

There is a shortage on some meats right now.  HEB is limiting raw meat purchases for instance.

Sucks cause I just changed my lifestyle a month ago dropping sugar and carbs.  Meat is where it is at!