• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2020 at 3:17 PM, Myowncollector said:

You just factor all that in when you buy. If I see a book on heritage that I feel is worth buying at $1,000 then my max is $750 Of course I never won anything on heritage haha. Plenty of other auction sites that dont have 20% buyer premium. They have some huge books but I will never over pay to get something. 

Long as you don't buy over inflated books ff1 xmen 1 giant size hulk 181 uf4 etc they are not going to lose 50% of value and I think the economy is going down and so will comic market. I have been buying a lot of books though that I don't think the price will change much on.

Yeah, that 20% buyers premium is killer for me.  I just factor it in the price when I bid and about like you, I haven't won anything from Heritage in a long time. 

22 hours ago, 90sChild said:

That ASM 50 was $46k hammer and 55k AFTER buyers premium.  Boggles my mind prices are 7x higher from 9.4 to 9.8.  There's only 7 9.8's on the census and then 14 9.6's and 53 9.4's.  Is a 700% difference really justified to be in the top 0.2%tile instead of the top 2.1%tile?  The people who buy these are a bit like the people who buy the 2 million dollar special edition Ferrari's instead of buying themselves 10 different Ferrari's for 200k each. It just becomes a "look at me I have the best one ever made" contest... at least with Ferrari's you know how many they made... and there aren't a pile of 9.8's waiting to be graded in someone's closet.

7fE2ued.jpg

ZMhMs6J.jpg

That is probably the best analogy of paying for grade I have ever saw:roflmao:

I guess I was a few thou off...lol but it definitely moves the needle in terms of fair market value 

This book is smoking hot right now tho!

Edited by Hollywood1892

18 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I’d rather have ten Ferrari’s than one special edition low mileage rarity. Just like I would rather have the 4000 comics I own instead of a couple hundred keys.

I always asked myself if I would rather own an Action 1 over all the comics I have and quite frankly I think I would still want to own all the comics I have.. because I would feel very incomplete with the only one gem

Sales are still very strong.. I have buyers literally coming to me paying top dollar for the highest grades possible... I think they see this a "buying season" ... it'll be interesting to see how sales will be in autumn 

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Sales are still going strong

I've only listed 1 book so far, but it sold in less than a week so I was happy. 

Maybe I should try some books that didn't sell well in the past hm

A $3.99 newsstand and a wonder woman 189

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've only listed 1 book so far, but it sold in less than a week so I was happy. 

Maybe I should try some books that didn't sell well in the past hm

A $3.99 newsstand and a wonder woman 189

sell what you don't need to ppl who do need... there's buyers who have holes in their collection. do them service

4 hours ago, taro90 said:

Not seeing any kind of slow down. Not on the items that I'm bidding on. 

On ComicLink, eBay and Heritage, I'm getting outbid by multiples of hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars.....:(......:cry: 

This. Results have me wondering if it’s flipped and is a seller’s market :ohnoez:

4 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Best sellers market I have ever seen by far. Not even close. I thought there was a chance to see some noticeable decline but that stimulus package was unreal. Will there be another? Crazy. 

A recent history of the comic book market. For the younger ones or late night ers. 

I have been selling comics for 30 years. Always been a sellers market though. For sure since 2012. Probably since early 2000s. Late 90s might have been a buyers market. Shops closing, nice chunk of people stopped collecting. I dunno I have always sold well but can always find a deal as well but that time was probably best in last 30 years for buying. 80s were great for buying, not sure about selling. Then cgc came out and for 5 years at least you could get unreal $ for anything slabbed. That died down. But until last few years anything cgc would get surprisingly too much $. Now it's hard to move slabbed drek it seems. 2012 everything relevant jumped up 30 40 percent. Speculation became mainstream and brought in created and still is and will continue to grow comic book speculators flippers whatever you call them. Basically anyone buying books after 2012 is paying double. A lot of old timers sold, seemed to be a good time at the time but turns out too soon on a lot of stuff. I never seen anything like this though. Used to be something was announced book went up big time. Then all it would take is a rumor. Now people just jump on stuff without even a fake rumor. I think some site names the book to spec on. Some other sites people copy and do the same. Spreads on social media and bam book blows up.

Future of market.

Right now people are home with free $. Until that stops the record sales will continue. Another stimulus would even make things crazier. Even after all this. How many people got bored, discovered comic collecting it returned to it? How many seen spec sites or videos and decided to give this a try. Unless the unemployment runs out and there is still well into double digit unemployment, we won't see a buyers market. But it is always a buyers market or a sellers market depending on the book. I buy tons. But if you have been waiting for a buyers market on tec 27 af15 action 1 you have been waiting for a long time.

Sounds to me is if buyers have money then sellers have the books...

There was a large gap in my collecting from childhood until now...and a disparaging one from hopeful collector to determined one

What I have noticed on Ebay is alot of the books I want are available cheaper in the U.S then Canada but that doesn't mean cheaper then any available fair market value platforms/tools like GPA or Gocollect.com and I still get stung with import charges, albeit a recent purchase of ASM 15 only cost me $64 in duty from MCS (which is awesome)

I haven't noticed any drastic changes to the market due to Covid19 thankfully....books are still selling, and hopefully will continue to do so in the foreseeable future

6 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Best sellers market I have ever seen by far. Not even close. I thought there was a chance to see some noticeable decline but that stimulus package was unreal. Will there be another? Crazy. 

A recent history of the comic book market. For the younger ones or late night ers. 

I have been selling comics for 30 years. Always been a sellers market though. For sure since 2012. Probably since early 2000s. Late 90s might have been a buyers market. Shops closing, nice chunk of people stopped collecting. I dunno I have always sold well but can always find a deal as well but that time was probably best in last 30 years for buying. 80s were great for buying, not sure about selling. Then cgc came out and for 5 years at least you could get unreal $ for anything slabbed. That died down. But until last few years anything cgc would get surprisingly too much $. Now it's hard to move slabbed drek it seems. 2012 everything relevant jumped up 30 40 percent. Speculation became mainstream and brought in created and still is and will continue to grow comic book speculators flippers whatever you call them. Basically anyone buying books after 2012 is paying double. A lot of old timers sold, seemed to be a good time at the time but turns out too soon on a lot of stuff. I never seen anything like this though. Used to be something was announced book went up big time. Then all it would take is a rumor. Now people just jump on stuff without even a fake rumor. I think some site names the book to spec on. Some other sites people copy and do the same. Spreads on social media and bam book blows up.

Future of market.

Right now people are home with free $. Until that stops the record sales will continue. Another stimulus would even make things crazier. Even after all this. How many people got bored, discovered comic collecting it returned to it? How many seen spec sites or videos and decided to give this a try. Unless the unemployment runs out and there is still well into double digit unemployment, we won't see a buyers market. But it is always a buyers market or a sellers market depending on the book. I buy tons. But if you have been waiting for a buyers market on tec 27 af15 action 1 you have been waiting for a long time.

What is the name of your e-bay store?  I'm interested what kind of books people are selling in droves.  April was great but May has been really slow with a tons of low ball buyers.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:18 PM, 90sChild said:

That ASM 50 was $46k hammer and 55k AFTER buyers premium.  Boggles my mind prices are 7x higher from 9.4 to 9.8. 

It boggles my mind that someone would willingly pony up an extra 9 grand for absolutely nothing. If auction houses only made commission this way, then fair enough, but they charge commission on the sale to the seller, do they not?

I know this is common practice with several auction houses but it's wrong, and it could be stopped in a heartbeat if all buyers refused to play ball.

But they won't.

Imagine going into anywhere and handing over the money for a purchase, no matter what it was and being told...'Hey, you really want this item don't you? Thanks for that, but because you really want it, you need to give us 20% more!'

Most people would tell said establishment to shove it even if it was a $5 purchase.

BP......Beware, piranhas.

Gordon Gecko lives. 

meh

2 minutes ago, G G ® said:

It boggles my mind that someone would willingly pony up an extra 9 grand for absolutely nothing. If auction houses only made commission this way, then fair enough, but they charge commission on the sale to the seller, do they not?

I know this is common practice with several auction houses but it's wrong, and it could be stopped in a heartbeat if all buyers refused to play ball.

But they won't.

Imagine going into anywhere and handing over the money for a purchase, no matter what it was and being told...'Hey, you really want this item don't you? Thanks for that, but because you really want it, you need to give us 20% more!'

Most people would tell said establishment to shove it even if it was a $5 purchase.

BP......Beware, piranhas.

Gordon Gecko lives. 

meh

Haha I think most people are smart enough to factor in BP, so in your example instead of being scaped $9k they think of it as well "I'm not going to pay that $9k BP but I will pay $55k for this book, so I'm going to bid $46k."  If there wasn't a BP then I think hammer price would just be driven to $55k instead.  Whatever reason they have for doing this besides collecting more fees or whatever, perhaps there's some tax loophole or back-end accounting where they can mess around with this buyer's premium number to make the books look nicer.

20 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

But it is your choice to sell to them...

Personally I think 'Keys' are selling pretty good

True - it is part of the current "game" when selling books.  It doesn't make it any less irritating when somebody makes an offer of $3 on a $5 book that is a steal at $5.  People seem to have a ton of time on their hands so they are using that time to try to snipe books in auction or make tons of offers on books and see if anyone is hungry for sales.  I'm just curious what books people seem to be selling like crazy over the last couple months.  I keep an eye on my own books and books that sell in my categories (Copper/Bronze/Silver) and I don't really see a huge increase in sales over the last month. 

Big keys do seem to be selling very well.