• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2020 at 10:03 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

This is accurate

That buying premium is ridiculous!

They should have a set rate range per premium ie $100-$500 $ 50 premium $1000-$2000 $100 premium ect ect. How many people are Heritage employing on this consignment site? The premium is crazy!

The buyer's premium is irrelevant as a buyer.

You just factor it into the price you're willing to pay just like everyone else does. It's the same level playing field for everyone...you just pay the price you're wiling to pay (BP included).

In fact, you don't even have to do the math. The site does it for you.

Edited by VintageComics

With the wine do you drink it eventually or resell it? I collect a lot if things so I get it. But to me comics are most exciting. Love the stories. Art. Buying and selling at right time. Speculation. Like with wine, if a bottle of boones creek gets rumored to be a set piece in a movie they don't all the sudden become $100 a bottle. If Disney buys a winery their bottles dont double in value. 

2 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

Hey all...thought I'd catch up with my post and offer some thoughts.  Been busy with work which is a good thing (actually busier than pre-shutdown because now everyone thinks take that 1-4 hour daily commute you're not doing anymore just convert it back into work/production...I'm an architect) and "off" the boards since early April.  So seems like there is still quite a bit of optimism and positive sales/activity and perhaps, as I read the posts at least, apparently still a seller's market for the most part.

However, I personally am waiting for the other shoe to drop (and believe me I am the ETERNAL OPTIMIST!) with 40M people unemployed in USA etc.  And I can't believe the resilience of the stock market but people have to put their money somewhere I guess.  Think about it.  There are approximately 156M people in the workforce in the USA so 40M/+ unemployed is 25%.  That's a lot!  This is tip of the iceberg type thing as it is early and will only worsen until said 40M people get re-employed and back on their feet etc.  As is the cycle, the rich will get richer and take advantage of those with less resources.  

For me personally, I turned 65 last NYE, things change.  I still love comics and love my comics but just about no one else in my life could care less.  So I love other things as well and right now my "collectible" focus is on wine.  Wine is fun and more people that I know like wine and I can enjoy that myself and enjoy with others.  Wine is also expensive, like the comics (higher grade) I like, so in that sense I have to navigate and manage my obsession and collect accordingly...and also get the same thrill when I get a deal.  (There aren't a lot of deals to be had in the wine collecting world...it's just about acquiring them and having them pretty much at market for whenever they are available to attain.)  Frankly, comics just don't mean that much to me as they did 5 or 10 years ago.  It may happen to you at some point in your collecting arc.  Don't get me wrong I'm not ditching my ASM 1-20 in CGC 9.0 anytime soon.  And I still do enjoy having them...that is the most intrinsic aspect.  But that will change again some time and I'll sell them all and give the money to my grandkids or something.  The cycle of collecting and life...

sounds like you need some more comic pals!

3 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

Hey all...thought I'd catch up with my post and offer some thoughts.  Been busy with work which is a good thing (actually busier than pre-shutdown because now everyone thinks take that 1-4 hour daily commute you're not doing anymore just convert it back into work/production...I'm an architect) and "off" the boards since early April.  So seems like there is still quite a bit of optimism and positive sales/activity and perhaps, as I read the posts at least, apparently still a seller's market for the most part.

However, I personally am waiting for the other shoe to drop (and believe me I am the ETERNAL OPTIMIST!) with 40M people unemployed in USA etc.  And I can't believe the resilience of the stock market but people have to put their money somewhere I guess.  Think about it.  There are approximately 156M people in the workforce in the USA so 40M/+ unemployed is 25%.  That's a lot!  This is tip of the iceberg type thing as it is early and will only worsen until said 40M people get re-employed and back on their feet etc.  As is the cycle, the rich will get richer and take advantage of those with less resources.  

For me personally, I turned 65 last NYE, things change.  I still love comics and love my comics but just about no one else in my life could care less.  So I love other things as well and right now my "collectible" focus is on wine.  Wine is fun and more people that I know like wine and I can enjoy that myself and enjoy with others.  Wine is also expensive, like the comics (higher grade) I like, so in that sense I have to navigate and manage my obsession and collect accordingly...and also get the same thrill when I get a deal.  (There aren't a lot of deals to be had in the wine collecting world...it's just about acquiring them and having them pretty much at market for whenever they are available to attain.)  Frankly, comics just don't mean that much to me as they did 5 or 10 years ago.  It may happen to you at some point in your collecting arc.  Don't get me wrong I'm not ditching my ASM 1-20 in CGC 9.0 anytime soon.  And I still do enjoy having them...that is the most intrinsic aspect.  But that will change again some time and I'll sell them all and give the money to my grandkids or something.  The cycle of collecting and life...

Yes, 40M unemployed but that number is heavily weighted in the retail and service industries as things were shut down. It isn't an actual lack of jobs, it is a forced lack of jobs. As everything starts to reopen, most of the people in those industries will go back to work. 

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The buyer's premium is irrelevant as a buyer.

You just factor it into the price you're willing to pay just like everyone else does. It's the same level playing field for everyone...you just pay the price you're wiling to pay (BP included).

In fact, you don't even have to do the math. The site does it for you.

I don't understand....

So if I win an auction with a bid of hypothetically speaking 5k, I don't have to pay anything on top of that?

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I don't understand....

So if I win an auction with a bid of hypothetically speaking 5k, I don't have to pay anything on top of that?

No, if you want to spend $5K on a book that's worth $5K, just bid $5K total with the buyer's premium.

So you'd bid $4200 (or whatever the exact number is) and you'd see with the software that your total bid is $5040

That's how you bid. That's how everyone bids on Heritage. Factor the premium into your bid the way everyone does.

Nobody bids $5000 for a $5000 book AND expects to pay another 20% BP on top of that....unless of course they're going all out to win the book at any cost. In that case you're not winning anyway.

How much you want to pay for a book on Heritage doesn't change if you factor in the BP, the only thing that changes is the way that final number is broken down on Heritage's software.

Edited by VintageComics

Back to the statement of instagram sales hitting huge prices, I was watching the live sale with elitecomics11 and Jeff the goldenageguru sell books last night. Jeff put up a TMNT 1 first print 9.4 for 14500 and it sold with an offer of 13750.
so I just checked go collect and that is like over 3k of the listed fmv for the grade.

instagram sales, especially those from big sellers are on fire

10 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

I don't think this is the tip of the iceberg and I don't believe it is "early" anymore. People are starting to go back to work. The worst is over, and that's a good thing. The comic market didnt crash like so many people predicted and it will remain steady. 

1 hour ago, oldbsturgeon said:

so I just checked go collect and that is like over 3k of the listed fmv for the grade.

on gpa the last sale in this grade was $13K in 10/2019 so not soooo on fire but hot yes [two sales before that were $10200 (2019) and $9999 (2018)]

14 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

So I love other things as well and right now my "collectible" focus is on wine.  

I tried collecting quality wine but it's a total failure as I always end up drinking it.. No investment there like comics, it's hard trying to resell an empty bottle while you can resell a comic even if you did read it.

58 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

I tried collecting quality wine but it's a total failure as I always end up drinking it.. No investment there like comics, it's hard trying to resell an empty bottle while you can resell a comic even if you did read it.

I'm sure the Dupcak's of the world would fill an empty bottle up with vinegar and sell it as original owner!

4 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

I don't think this is the tip of the iceberg and I don't believe it is "early" anymore. People are starting to go back to work. The worst is over, and that's a good thing. The comic market didnt crash like so many people predicted and it will remain steady. 

I'm starting work again next week, and you know what that means?

More keys!

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm sure the Dupcak's of the world would fill an empty bottle up with vinegar and sell it as original owner!

speaking of Dupcak of the wine world...

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/sep/11/the-great-wine-fraud-a-vintage-swindle

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

Very interesting article. I find it difficult to muster much sympathy when elitist snobs get shafted.

I for one will look out for this documentary, should be a good watch. 

1 minute ago, TimeToShine said:

So why is Heritage's 20% fee included in the total price? Why is any fee included when it's not part of the book's value? Seems to me the example book above should be listed as sold for $4,200 on GPA, not $5,000.

Because that is what the buyer paid for the book.  

GPA prices reflect the ebay fees.  Shipping and insurance are normally not in the sales price number.  

Use whatever "logic" you like but the buyer paid $5000 plus sales tax (Unless he lived in a state that doesn't charge or has a resale #),  shipping and insurance.  

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

GPA prices reflect the ebay fees.  Shipping and insurance are normally not in the sales price number.  

Use whatever "logic" you like but the buyer paid $5000 plus sales tax (Unless he lived in a state that doesn't charge or has a resale #),  shipping and insurance.  

So does that mean the book is worth $4200 or $5000?