• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

So if you're buying a book from a dealer (whether it be Highgrade, myself or Comiclink) and they all charge a 10% fee for buying from them you want that fee removed from recorded sales prices?

If that fee is included in FMV then that book keeps rising and rising in value until its completely out of reach for most rational spenders

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

If that fee is included in FMV then that book keeps rising and rising in value until its completely out of reach for most rational spenders

It's the same as eBay, which has a 13% "buyers premium", because eBay takes 10% of purchase price for the consignment and PayPal take 3% for the funds transaction....

You can't get hung up because certain auction houses lay that out for the seller watching their book be bid on.

If your going to pay a $100 then buyer pays that regardless, just at an auction house it will look like you bid $87 and they'll lay out the $13 (10%&3%) seperately so the seller knows his share already.

Thanks tho the "buyers premium" on ebay and Texas 8%sales tax that's a whopping 21% 

If I buy a book I have to be confident that I'm getting a good enough deal that I can at any time sell it for 23% more just to break even....

This is simple but auction houses make it even simpler for the seller to know what they're getting paid

Maybe you haven't listed a lot on ebay, but if I bought something in 2016, it's a pain yo look at fmv on gocollect, calculate the fees and such eBay and PayPal will "collect" and that's just to calculate a price I can make my money back to break even, doesn't include any profit I may want to consider listing at....

5 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

I've seen this documentary Sour Grapes.  It's pretty excellent...and pretty amazing.  The guy didn't really have any guilt...his attitude was these rich people wanted to groove on acquiring and sharing a $25K bottle of wine (or higher) with their clients or buds and he was just fulfilling their dreams.  Definitely worth checking out especially if you are into wine.

1 hour ago, G G ® said:

It's all a load of hooey.

BP is not a true reflection of a book's price, it's a commission, a fee, a tax, it is not part of the book's value. People can twist 'logic' any which way they like but BP is money for jam.

Let's say a book sells on ebay for $4200, then the next week a similar copy sells on Heritage for the same amount, but with inflated fees that puts it over 5 grand. That's an inflated price.

If people are daft enough, or rich enough to stump up BP then do not reflect it in sales data. That might help put a stop to it.

I agree as well that for ebay or CLINK or any other consignment seller/site that charges basically 10% that comes from the seller.  So you sell a book for $5000 and ebay/other site sends you a check for $4500.  The market value of the book is $5000.  If you sell it on CGC you get the whole $5000.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's the same as eBay, which has a 13% "buyers premium", because eBay takes 10% of purchase price for the consignment and PayPal take 3% for the funds transaction....

You can't get hung up because certain auction houses lay that out for the seller watching their book be bid on.

If your going to pay a $100 then buyer pays that regardless, just at an auction house it will look like you bid $87 and they'll lay out the $13 (10%&3%) seperately so the seller knows his share already.

Thanks tho the "buyers premium" on ebay and Texas 8%sales tax that's a whopping 21% 

If I buy a book I have to be confident that I'm getting a good enough deal that I can at any time sell it for 23% more just to break even....

This is simple but auction houses make it even simpler for the seller to know what they're getting paid

Maybe you haven't listed a lot on ebay, but if I bought something in 2016, it's a pain yo look at fmv on gocollect, calculate the fees and such eBay and PayPal will "collect" and that's just to calculate a price I can make my money back to break even, doesn't include any profit I may want to consider listing at....

In short the seller can see the fees for selling as seperate and not be concerned on what they will net when all is said and done....

It's just written in plain language for the seller

If I'm a seller and the auction house is taking 20% off the top

The least they can do is make it plain for what is my share...as a seller

Is 20% too much? Probably, but that's my choice to sell with them

They better bend over backwards to please me the seller if they're taking 20 % lol

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Seller pays those fees though. Heritage the buyers pays the %20. On heritage I would take 20% off of my max bid. Ebay I would go to max.

21 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
48 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

So if you're buying a book from a dealer (whether it be Highgrade, myself or Comiclink) and they all charge a 10% fee for buying from them you want that fee removed from recorded sales prices?

No it doesn't, because people still pay what they think is fair market value for the book.

They don't pay fair market value plus the premium.

The premium is a part of the FMV. Not added on top of it.

Edited by VintageComics

1 minute ago, trmoore54 said:
2 hours ago, G G ® said:

It's all a load of hooey.

BP is not a true reflection of a book's price, it's a commission, a fee, a tax, it is not part of the book's value. People can twist 'logic' any which way they like but BP is money for jam.

Let's say a book sells on ebay for $4200, then the next week a similar copy sells on Heritage for the same amount, but with inflated fees that puts it over 5 grand. That's an inflated price.

If people are daft enough, or rich enough to stump up BP then do not reflect it in sales data. That might help put a stop to it.

I agree as well that for ebay or CLINK or any other consignment seller/site that charges basically 10% that comes from the seller.  So you sell a book for $5000 and ebay/other site sends you a check for $4500.  The market value of the book is $5000.  If you sell it on CGC you get the whole $5000.

That's more simple and plain thank you lol

Suprised this is even conversation... ALL sale results should be taken with a grain of salt lightly... For some taxes on a purchase is an afterthought to some it's 10% ... Oh if you're Top Rated or have a store subscription the FVF are less.

1 minute ago, Myowncollector said:
7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Seller pays those fees though. Heritage the buyers pays the %20. On heritage I would take 20% off of my max bid. Ebay I would go to max.

Its the same difference though

Item costs 100

Enay you bid $100 pay $100

Auction at 10% buyers premium you bid $90 pay $100

At both places the seller is getting $90 but at the auction house the seller knows that before the auction ends what is his part....

Buyer pays the premium at both places 

1 minute ago, trmoore54 said:

If its a hot book...maybe. Remember everyone here basically will factor in those fees when making an offer. Even then, if they pay via PayPal you still lose some of that $5,000.00.

2 minutes ago, Comicshrine said:

I’m just catching the end of this thread, and I can use some advice. Where currently is the best auction house to sell comic art,  not key pieces but commissions or splash pages value around $2000 a piece? I was edging towards heritage but unsure now. 

For me isn't local or repeat customers. Then Facebook Instagram etc. 

If I had to use 3rd party then ebay or mycomicshop comic link connect. Would never use heritage when the entire forum states they avoid it or pay 20 percent less.

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Its the same difference though

Item costs 100

Enay you bid $100 pay $100

Auction at 10% buyers premium you bid $90 pay $100

At both places the seller is getting $90 but at the auction house the seller knows that before the auction ends what is his part....

Buyer pays the premium at both places 

Only talking about the buyer. And if I buy on ebay I pay no buyer premium. Heritage I would so I have to take 20% off my max bid. If I buy local or social media I can pay over max bid. 

3 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Only talking about the buyer. And if I buy on ebay I pay no buyer premium. Heritage I would so I have to take 20% off my max bid. If I buy local or social media I can pay over max bid. 

My point is even if you take 20%off you'd still enjoy paying the 20 %

If the item your buying you're willing to pay $100

Ebay bid $100 pay $100

Auction 20%off your max bid, bid $80 pay$100....

Either way your paying $100 and the seller is getting $80

Either way the reason I mention the seller, is he knows he gets. $80 immediately with an auction house 

As oppose to Ebay where it has to be calculated...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Seems silly to not bid just because you'd be paying the same either way 

But if anyone is not comfortable

Then follow me, I dont buy from auction houses either, but basically because I dont think I can afford the unique or sometimes rather expensive books held for auction

:foryou:

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My point is even if you take 20%off you'd still enjoy paying the 20 %

If the item your buying you're willing to pay $100

Ebay bid $100 pay $100

Auction 20%off your max bid, bid $80 pay$100....

Either way your paying $100 and the seller is getting $80

Either way the reason I mention the seller, is he knows he gets. $80 immediately with an auction house 

As oppose to Ebay where it has to be calculated...

I understand. Just Ebay I am paying the price. Heritage I am paying the same price but only 80% is actual price of book. 20 % their fee. As a buyer I have no problem with it. They can have a 90% buyer premium. I would just bid $10. 

Sellers though it isn't equal. Ebay seller would get $87 Heritage $70 to $80 depending on their collection and if the negotiated.