• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'd say 80% of my sales (or good offers that lead to sales) come in the middle of the night.  Could be because CA buyers have been on a tear lately but it's always nice to get some cash when I check my messages in the morning.

yup late evengins/ dead of night, early morning 

13 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What about a moderate economy and skyrocketing prices on certain books? What is that a sign of?

I'm not too sure about "signs", but many people living carefree... I wonder where the value of the dollar is in all this.....

On 4/4/2020 at 11:00 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

What's more important. Having money to survive as you are out of work or holding onto that rare comic? People will start to sell off comics at lower prices so they can eat. I know I would.

That’s one option. Perhaps a more interesting route would be to take out a line of credit at 2.75%, which is a lot less than the annual increase in value for a Hulk 181

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 7/29/2020 at 10:29 PM, Krismusic said:

My guess is that the income people spent on going out, bars, restaurants, vacations, leisurely outdoor activities is now available to them and they are buying other things as many set aside money for vacations or dining out a month etc.. with lock downs people didn’t spend that cash... so they are burning it in other places. I’ve seen a huge up tick in home Reno projects and materials that the Home Depot and stuff are starting to run low of stuff on the shelves... just my guess and theory to your question :) 

This makes a lot of sense to me. I know that my wife and I have been working from home since March, and have saved a ton on gas (we both used to fill up at least once a week. Now it's more like once a month, and gas was also much cheaper for the first couple of months), as well as money we used to spend eating lunch at work, ordering out, etc. We're spending more on groceries for our at home meals, BUT that food/money goes a lot farther. The home reno stuff is also true, at least out here. A couple of weeks ago, each of the three houses next to ours was having  work done the same week. I came out one morning and saw contractors and constructions guys in each of those driveways putting in bathrooms, kitchens and pools on the same days. Meanwhile, I hung some new blinds on my own, and walked around the house feeling like Bob F'n Vila.

Personally, I expected it to be a good time to buy, but instead, everything I'm interested in has exploded, particularly vintage toys. GI Joes, for instance, have gone nuclear in the last two or three months.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, F For Fake said:
On 7/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, Krismusic said:

My guess is that the income people spent on going out, bars, restaurants, vacations, leisurely outdoor activities is now available to them and they are buying other things as many set aside money for vacations or dining out a month etc.. with lock downs people didn’t spend that cash... so they are burning it in other places. I’ve seen a huge up tick in home Reno projects and materials that the Home Depot and stuff are starting to run low of stuff on the shelves... just my guess and theory to your question :) 

This makes a lot of sense to me.

^^

Yes. lots of potential bidders sitting at home with nothing much to spend their "play" money on, so why not toss a bit into some of the comic book auctions.  (thumbsu

Must be a seller's market when you can see 2nd or 3rd tier GA titles like this Doc Savage book in non HG condition selling for almost double condition guide:

Golden Age (1938-1955):War, Doc Savage Comics V2#3 (Street & Smith, 1943) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white to white pages....

If I remember correctly, didn't these kinds of books sell for much closer to condition guide or were even lucky to hit guide back in the day, or was Doc Savage always a hot title? (shrug)

On 8/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, F For Fake said:

This makes a lot of sense to me. I know that my wife and I have been working from home since March, and have saved a ton on gas (we both used to fill up at least once a week. Now it's more like once a month, and gas was also much cheaper for the first couple of months), as well as money we used to spend eating lunch at work, ordering out, etc. We're spending more on groceries for our at home meals, BUT that food/money goes a lot farther. The home reno stuff is also true, at least out here. A couple of weeks ago, each of the three houses next to ours was having  work done the same week. I came out one morning and saw contractors and constructions guys in each of those driveways putting in bathrooms, kitchens and pools on the same days. Meanwhile, I hung some new blinds on my own, and walked around the house feeling like Bob F'n Vila.

Personally, I expected it to be a good time to buy, but instead, everything I'm interested in has exploded, particularly vintage toys. GI Joes, for instance, have gone nuclear in the last two or three months.

this is a weird revelation for me. around 10-12 years ago, i noticed that star wars and transformers were steadily gaining all the time, so i figured gi joe would not be far behind. i started thinning out my collection, but prices were really flat. i was so bummed, i stopped selling altogether and figured i’d be stuck with them for the long-haul. fast forward to the beginning of the year, i sold some foreign joes for absolutely zany money. i regret selling some of my rarer pieces in the early 2000’s, but i’m relieved i didn’t purge everything 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, kHAoS said:

this is a weird revelation for me. around 10-12 years ago, i noticed that star wars and transformers were steadily gaining all the time, so i figured gi joe would not be far behind. i started thinning out my collection, but prices were really flat. i was so bummed, i stopped selling altogether and figured i’d be stuck with them for the long-haul. fast forward to the beginning of the year, i sold some foreign joes for absolutely zany money. i regret selling some of my rarer pieces in the early 2000’s, but i’m relieved i didn’t purge everything 10 years ago.

It’s pretty nuts. Prices had been slowly creeping up over the last couple of years, but have really gone crazy in recent months. A good example is the original BAT. Used to be a $35-50 figure. Now they’re $80-100.

Joe was dormant for some time, but with the new Classified line out, a retro line coming in the fall, and a Snake Eyes movie in production, the property is the most visible it’s been in 5 years or more. This plus people staying at home and spending money on FB/eBay has lead to some craziness. Not sure how long it will last. Good time to be a seller, not a great time to be buying. 

On 8/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes. lots of potential bidders sitting at home with nothing much to spend their "play" money on, so why not toss a bit into some of the comic book auctions.  (thumbsu

Another perfect example would be this raw VG+ copy of a mid-run 3rd or 4th tier title like this Crackajack Funnies 34 that was still able to fetch more than double condition guide:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Crackajack Funnies #34 (Dell, 1941) Condition: VG+....

I am sure prices weren't this high on these kinds of mid-run GA titles in mid-grade condition a few years ago, but something that is definitely good to see.  :applause:

On 8/4/2020 at 5:11 PM, kHAoS said:

I wish I still had my GI joe toys and vehicles I had a ton of them and the big black jet that was as big as me...unfortunately mom asked if she could give it to my Younger cousins and some family Friends kids.. I was at the time 18 or something and wasn’t going to play with them anymore and let them go to someone else who would enjoy them and play with them... so sucks that I don’t have them but glad someone else  got to enjoy them as much as I did.

Edited by Krismusic

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

I wish I still had my GI joe toys and vehicles I had a ton of them and the big black jet that was as big as me...unfortunately mom asked if she could give it to my Younger cousins and some family Friends kids.. I was at the time 18 or something and wasn’t going to play with them anymore and let them go to someone else who would enjoy them and play with them... so sucks that I don’t have them but glad someone else  got to enjoy them as much as I did.

I had all the Joes and saved the backing cards and all that too.  Had all the Star Wars figures too.  Had huge crates of the stuff that I think we ultimately donated in the late 80s.  Them's the breaks.