• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I've noticed that sometimes key books in Canada sell for more then the same copy/grade in the U.S I especially remember a recent ASM 15 I ended up buying from My Comic Shop a full grade point higher then someone was selling here in Canada and I messaged the guy in Canada offering him what I deemed was FMV and he went into a tirade about my age and experience and if I'd ever bought a comic before, it was a very embarrassing experience for me...that being said I am happy with the book from My Comic Shop and I think I only paid $64 in duty charges which I was able to do online without slowing up the process...there are a few really good dealers in Canada but when they don't have what you want then buy American 

You know what I agree. I’ve been buying and selling to the US for years. Anytime I try to buy something key within country it is almost always more expensive. I try to say that I can get it cheaper and shipped to my door for less than what they are asking and I still get turned down. So I hear ya.

As a seller occasionally, I try to base it off what they usually go for. And if I am too high, please, make me an offer. Most of the time I will make it happen (unless you are like the guy who recently offered me $60 for Hulk 180...in which case I just say Sorry I can’t sell that low and move on. He was Canadian)

Basically I just want people stateside to continue to sell to me during these times because I need comics!!

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

As a seller occasionally, I try to base it off what they usually go for. And if I am too high, please, make me an offer. Most of the time I will make it happen (unless you are like the guy who recently offered me $60 for Hulk 180...in which case I just say Sorry I can’t sell that low and move on. He was Canadian)

Must have been the same guy that offered me $1000 for my entire collection, then proceeded to apologize for low balling me, then asked if he could give me a proper valuation of my books using the gocollect tool, which I politely said yes just because I was interested to see what he would come up with, and when he came up with a much higher number I then asked him why he audaciously offered me $1000 in the first place, which he responded "I'm sorry for misjudging you, but it's business" its shrewd and offensive. I welcomed him to join the boards, which I tend to with most comic book collectors I run into.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Must have been the same guy that offered me $1000 for my entire collection, then proceeded to apologize for low balling me, then asked if he could give me a proper valuation of my books using the gocollect tool, which I politely said yes just because I was interested to see what he would come up with, and when he came up with a much higher number I then asked him why he audaciously offered me $1000 in the first place, which he responded "I'm sorry for misjudging you, but it's business" its shrewd and offensive. I welcomed him to join the boards, which I tend to with most comic book collectors I run into.

Ha, so basically he said "Just wanted to see if you were a sucker! No offense!"  I'd tell him to take a flying f at a rolling donut, rather than invite him on the boards, but that's just me. You must have a kinder heart!

So . . .  there is an auction going on today  . . . I was interested in maybe picking up the Thor 165.  Based on online pics I thought maybe it was in the 4.0-5.0 range.  It went for $550 plus the 25% commission.  https://www.proxibid.com/Art-Antiques-Collectibles/Collectibles/Marvel-Comics-The-Mighty-Thor-No-165-comic-book/lotInformation/56072018

Am I crazy in thinking this is crazy?

1 hour ago, OuterboroGuy said:

So . . .  there is an auction going on today  . . . I was interested in maybe picking up the Thor 165.  Based on online pics I thought maybe it was in the 4.0-5.0 range.  It went for $550 plus the 25% commission.  https://www.proxibid.com/Art-Antiques-Collectibles/Collectibles/Marvel-Comics-The-Mighty-Thor-No-165-comic-book/lotInformation/56072018

Am I crazy in thinking this is crazy?

check ebay.. buyers value 165, 166 for more than they're worth. these books will look like a bargain when warlock hits the screen

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, with this new Covid-19 business environment that everybody is living in, will the pretty much shuttered down movie theatres and these movie related hype books really have as much of an impact on the pricing of books going forward as they used to have in the past?  hm  (shrug)

excellent inquiry.... what are ppl speculating on? Pure speculation.. no solid foundation.... Hopefully this time next year ppl will buy comics not for film related investments.. but because they like them? 

On 9/5/2020 at 12:55 PM, littledoom said:

check ebay.. buyers value 165, 166 for more than they're worth. these books will look like a bargain when warlock hits the screen

They are selling 9.0s for double FMV. I'm not sure how much it is gonna blast once he hits MCU...I still haven't got one yet, for some reason I keep passing on it when it comes around

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, with this new Covid-19 business environment that everybody is living in, will the pretty much shuttered down movie theatres and these movie related hype books really have as much of an impact on the pricing of books going forward as they used to have in the past?  hm  (shrug)

Theaters have been open for a few weeks now in the US, longer worldwide. New movies opened this weekend.

17 hours ago, littledoom said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

excellent inquiry.... what are ppl speculating on? Pure speculation.. no solid foundation.... Hopefully this time next year ppl will buy comics not for film related investments.. but because they like them? 

I've said this before. I don't think I will ever see another time in my life as seller when conditions are this good. The money being spent on comics is staggering. 
Of course alot of this is due to a lower amount of stores and no conventions so we are seeing their business. And some dealers staying on the side because
they don't want to pay taxes.(They only do conventions/shows for cash business.) 

All that said summers are generally slow for me and usually my buying time. Not this year. 

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, snitzer said:

Theaters have been open for a few weeks now in the US, longer worldwide. New movies opened this weekend.

Box office grosses in the US were horrible over Labor Day weekend, so, not quite business as usual.

Over 4 days:
  Tenet 20.2 mil.
  New Mutants 3.5 mil.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2020W36/occasion/us_laborday_weekend

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I've said this before. I don't think I will ever see another time in my life as seller when conditions are this good. The money being spent on comics is staggering. 
Of course alot of this is due to a lower amount of stores and no conventions so we are seeing their business. And some dealers staying on the side because
they don't want to pay taxes.(They only do conventions/shows for cash business.) 

All that said summers are generally slow for me and usually my buying time. Not this year. 

never say never