• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

I'm generally in the market for a nice restored AF15...pretty much the only book I'm interested in acquiring.  And I check eBAY and the auction houses, not every day, but frequently.  And I'll be interested to see if some of these books that just languish as Buy-I-Nows (I guess I get that for a lot of these they are just advertisements to get people to look at their other books/items) go to regular auctions whereby the market, wherever it goes and is, dictates the price.  We shall see...

I agree with Foolkiller and some others that things are going to be pretty shut down for the remainder of 2020.  And that doesn't even take into account that if the pandemic levels out mid-year there is speculation that a second surge could come in the fall/winter. There certainly won't be any San Diego Comic-Con in July...

1 hour ago, Asianassassincomics said:

It seems that there are more copies of popular books in the $100-$1000 range available than a few months ago as people are more willing to sell. I haven't seen much evidence of the market prices lowering though. All these extra available copies are not priced to move but just available to market. I'm with others who have voiced that the market prices will come down, the longer this environment drags on. 

I assume you must be referring to the GA books with respect to your comment above.  (shrug)

If it's the SA or BA market, this little spreadsheet tracking some of the just completed CL results would definitely go against your viewpoint of the current marketplace:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=58778883

Except for the Iron Man's and a few of the odd books here and there, everything else looks pretty much down as compared to GoCollect.  :gossip:

43 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

And I'll be interested to see if some of these books that just languish as Buy-I-Nows (I guess I get that for a lot of these they are just advertisements to get people to look at their other books/items) go to regular auctions whereby the market, wherever it goes and is, dictates the price. 

I highly doubt that the hopeful sellers of these BIN auctions at stratospheric prices looking for a sucker have the balls to ever place their books into a true regular bidding type of auction format.  :fear:

My bet is that they'll still want and hope to get the best price possible by continuing with their BIN auctions, but with continually decreasing prices as time goes on.  hm

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I assume you must be referring to the GA books with respect to your comment above.  (shrug)

If it's the SA or BA market, this little spreadsheet tracking some of the just completed CL results would definitely go against your viewpoint of the current marketplace:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=58778883

Except for the Iron Man's and a few of the odd books here and there, everything else looks pretty much down as compared to GoCollect.  :gossip:

I wasn't referring to GA books. I'm referencing what I'm seeing available on ebay as fixed price buy it nows or instagram live sales and posts. 

Wasn't referring to auctions that have closed, I saw that spreadsheet and prices closing lower than GoCollect values for the vast majority. 

1 hour ago, Asianassassincomics said:

I'm referencing what I'm seeing available on ebay as fixed price buy it nows

Well, from my personal point of view, fixed price BIN's means absolutely nothing since the sellers can simply ask anything at all they want and hope to sang a sucker every now and then.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

except those are only single data points at this time, and many of those prices are likely within gpa "range", so I wouldn't put much stock in that sp[readsheet until more data points are added. It is a snapshot of the market on that day though, sure.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

except those are only single data points at this time, and many of those prices are likely within gpa "range", so I wouldn't put much stock in that sp[readsheet until more data points are added. It is a snapshot of the market on that day though, sure.

Especially since bidders probably had much more important things on their mind when these CL auctions were closing, as they were probably getting used to the new reality that we all now find ourselves in.  :(

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Especially since bidders probably had much more important things on their mind when these CL auctions were closing, as they were probably getting used to the new reality that we all now find ourselves in.  :(

I have been watching the Heritage auctions for the past three weeks and books I was interested in definitely did not go for great discounts and many really stunned me with the strong performance. You would think that the auctions will have some nice lower prices but not on the things I was watching. 

That reminds me I haven't put in my tracking on tomorrows HA!

Just now, VintageComics said:

5th, and I find this news the most exciting, authorities are talking about testing people who have had CV-19 for antibodies and the possibility of allowing people (first essential employees) back into the workforce if they've already had it and built up immunity. It's early to tell and hope for it but it's a possibility

I was really excited about this but I read a report yesterday that said the G7 countries have not been able to make a reliable antibodies test. That surprised me (and I hope that it is wrong) because US media is talking about anitbody testing like it is ready to go.

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

I haven't even looked at the spreadsheet because to me it has little value other than as just a curiosity.

It's like looking at a stock price on any given day. It's meaningless without context and not really useful except as a talking point.

Just now, Bird said:
2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

5th, and I find this news the most exciting, authorities are talking about testing people who have had CV-19 for antibodies and the possibility of allowing people (first essential employees) back into the workforce if they've already had it and built up immunity. It's early to tell and hope for it but it's a possibility

I was really excited about this but I read a report yesterday that said the G7 countries have not been able to make a reliable antibodies test. That surprised me (and I hope that it is wrong) because US media is talking about anitbody testing like it is ready to go.

I only read what namisgr posted in another thread but what he posted said that they wouldn't know anything before the end of April.

And really, watching the news day to day on this CV-19 pandemic is like watching the stock market too. It's meaningless because everything is so fluid and changing so quickly that what is news one day is meaningless the next day.

Like anything, let's get some perspective. There are billionaires out there who want the world to work and businesses to run and they're pushing to find ways to make it happen by stopping this pandemic.

Necessity is the mother of invention and we've haven't had necessity like this for decades, so things are going to start happening.

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

Haven't you learned anything at all about the U.S. media during the past few years.  :makepoint:

Supposedly, everything on there is nothing more than FAKE NEWS or a hoax.  lol

On a more serious tone though, they are still finding out new things every single day about this particular Coronavirus, and hopes are high even though there's nothing solid or concrete to beat it to this point in time yet.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

4th big money is stepping up. For example, to speed things up, Bill Gates is throwing billions at possible vaccines even though they may not work out.

Roy;

Can you please call Bill up and ask him to throw a few loose millions from his pocket change towards the comic book marketplace while he's digging through his wallet looking for his billions to throw at possible vaccines?  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Roy;

Can you please call Bill up and ask him to throw a few loose millions from his pocket change towards the comic book marketplace while he's digging through his wallet looking for his billions to throw at possible vaccines?  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Sure, I'll just call him up and conference call him while I'm talking to Putin and Prince Charles about the same thing. :headbang:

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Sure, I'll just call him up and conference call him while I'm talking to Putin and Prince Charles about the same thing. :headbang:

Well, don't forget to add in the Queen since it's probably a good idea for her to diversify her portfolio away from having the top stamp collection in the world.  (thumbsu

Or the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia with his bags full of money since he's definitely young enough to be hip with all of the super hero movies and the like.  :flipbait:

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Or the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia

I was actually going to mention I was calling him too but I didn't want to brag.

41 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

And yet, there are still people making LOTS of money in all of this. I've sold some big books at market prices in the last two weeks. Not everyone is suffering financially.

There will be a slow down for many but not everyone.

If people just wait for this virus to run it's course naturally, sure it's going to be a long wait. But there is new hope coming out every day.

For one (and most importantly) the mortality rate is likely going to be MUCH lower than initially reported. Initial reports were 3-4% but it's realistically looking more like 0.6%-1.5%

2nd, population clusters that are actually practising PROPER SOCIAL DISTANCING are already flattening curves but population cluster that AREN'T practising it properly are going to suffer and slow it down for the rest of us.

3rd, they are doing clinical testing through this entire thing and new information is being found every day on treatment

4th big money is stepping up. For example, to speed things up, Bill Gates is throwing billions at possible vaccines even though they may not work out.

5th, and I find this news the most exciting, authorities are talking about testing people who have had CV-19 for antibodies and the possibility of allowing people (first essential employees) back into the workforce if they've already had it and built up immunity. It's early to tell and hope for it but it's a possibility.

So there is lots to be positive about. It's not all doom and gloom.

And let's face it, there is not a single time in history that humanity hasn't bounced back from anything.

The key is to learn from our past and move forward.

Roy -- 

I agree that there are reasons to be positive, but that doesn't translate to what will happen and how long certain aspects of the comic book market will react to it.  Larger money is stepping up but it's again not pumping money into comics.  Right now, I think things are generally stable.  I don't see a high percentage of panic selling.  But there are folks unloading things.  I'm resistant to buy at too close to market right now because enough is being offered below if you are patient enough and there are fewer buyers at top levels.  When there's a slow down for many, more books come onto the market -- will the big buyers eat all of it?  probably not, and all I'm suggesting is that as things drag on there'll be more books coming on so folks can bridge financial gaps.  It's already begun.

53 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

And let's face it, there is not a single time in history that humanity hasn't bounced back from anything.

Well, there was that whole australopithecus debacle...