• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Myowncollector said:

I understand. Just Ebay I am paying the price. Heritage I am paying the same price but only 80% is actual price of book. 20 % their fee. As a buyer I have no problem with it. They can have a 90% buyer premium. I would just bid $10. 

Sellers though it isn't equal. Ebay seller would get $87 Heritage $70 to $80 depending on their collection and if the negotiated. 

I agree. And it can be confusing the way auction houses do it.

With the "consignment" (tax?) And other taxes and fees being considered seperately, the auction house gives the "illusion" that the book is going for cheaper and that there is still room to bid.

EBay, face value can equal fmv, no illusion

Auction houses would be considered more premium stuff, so an illusion or allusion to bid more seems unfair.

When in reality practical matters it lays out what the seller will net, while giving the illusion that the seller hasn't got fmv for the item yet....

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Its suprising tho going to shows and seeing some sellers using Ebays sold items to determine how much a comic is worth

That's the best way to price a item. What something sold for on the foremost online comic selling platform that has easy to look up sales results that is a known brand. I find cons and shops to ask over fmv. If they did ask the same it is fair for a customer. If price is same it is the same. 

2 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

That's the best way to price a item. What something sold for on the foremost online comic selling platform that has easy to look up sales results that is a known brand. I find cons and shops to ask over fmv. If they did ask the same it is fair for a customer. If price is same it is the same. 

Overstreet is just a price GUIDE.. guide

Only thing with heritage I find a lot of stuff doesn't sell for the 20% less. So they know what they are doing. Sure a lot of things are rare. But even common stuff gets good prices. I am a bargain hunter though. Only buy spec books. So if. And big if because it doesn't happen often say a hulk 181 or af 15 that is worth 10 grand goes for 6 or 7 grand I would buy it to flip instantly. But 8,500 wouldn't interest me but to others they would be posting about their huge deal they got. Yeah I don't buy too many hot books. 

The confusion comes from Heritage calling it a 'Buyer's Premium'

It's not really a BP it's a consignment fee that the seller gives up.

I think that's where all the confusion comes from.

Just change Buyer's Premium to Consignment Fee that is transparent for everyone to see and all of a sudden it looks completely different.

Now WHY they call it a BP is another discussion. :whistle:

20 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

How about now? Still strong? 

Yes.. Throughout today on Sunday .. multiple sales of diff items, diff platforms, from $20-190 sales.. Busy night.. It's keeping me inside packaging .. unfortunately my printer is broken so I have more driving to do

4 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Yes.. Throughout today on Sunday .. multiple sales of diff items, diff platforms, from $20-190 sales.. Busy night.. It's keeping me inside packaging .. unfortunately my printer is broken so I have more driving to do

Way to go. The postage savings will pay for the printer.

This has been an interesting thread for me.

Back in the 90's I used to add the postage costs into the books I bought mail-order, but ignored the costs associated with going to a convention, or driving to a comic shop, because mail-order was the exception to the rule. 

Now, I totally ignore postage costs, as I buy everything online, and I don't go to conventions, and I never buy from comic shops in person. The only exception to that general rule, is that I deduct the true cost of postage from "free shipping" offers from the total cost. 

I know..., weird.

11 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The confusion comes from Heritage calling it a 'Buyer's Premium'

It's not really a BP it's a consignment fee that the seller gives up.

I think that's where all the confusion comes from.

Just change Buyer's Premium to Consignment Fee that is transparent for everyone to see and all of a sudden it looks completely different.

Now WHY they call it a BP is another discussion. :whistle:

I've never bid on Heritage but how upfront are they with the 20% premium?  I'm assume they make sure you know about it when you are signing up but since pretty much everyone skips over the sign in info I'd hate to think of all the people who are shocked with the 20% add on at the end.  Doesn't comiclink add on a 10% fee for some of the books they sell?  You would have to be blind to miss the notice for the 10% buyers fee on there.

39 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Doesn't comiclink add on a 10% fee for some of the books they sell?  You would have to be blind to miss the notice for the 10% buyers fee on there.

???

You pay what you want to pay for a comic. There is no 'extra' 10% fee. Comiclink, like any other consignor, takes 10% off the final price of the comic and pays the seller 90% of that price. That's how they've been doing it since they've opened (as has every other consignor)

40 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I've never bid on Heritage but how upfront are they with the 20% premium?  I'm assume they make sure you know about it when you are signing up but since pretty much everyone skips over the sign in info I'd hate to think of all the people who are shocked with the 20% add on at the end. 

It's there every time you bid. No company would be able to hide anything as obvious as a 'buyer's premium'.

Just think of it as a transparent commission. It's nothing more than that.

These are bids on some random items to illustrate. I'm not actually bidding on these items.

Bid 1.png

Bid 2.png

42 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

???

You pay what you want to pay for a comic. There is no 'extra' 10% fee. Comiclink, like any other consignor, takes 10% off the final price of the comic and pays the seller 90% of that price. That's how they've been doing it since they've opened (as has every other consignor)

It's there every time you bid. No company would be able to hide anything as obvious as a 'buyer's premium'.

Just think of it as a transparent commission. It's nothing more than that.

These are bids on some random items to illustrate. I'm not actually bidding on these items.

Bid 1.png

Bid 2.png

It’s Mycomicshop that imposes a 3% fee to buyers on consignment items.

0377E992-9A45-41E0-BD61-732A476C37F3.png

6 minutes ago, TimeToShine said:

I don't understand this. The final bid is the final bid which doesn't include any fees. Unless you mean people with free shipping adding the shipping costs to the opening bid?

Agreed. Buyer premium ≠ seller fees.

33 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
40 minutes ago, TimeToShine said:

I don't understand this. The final bid is the final bid which doesn't include any fees. Unless you mean people with free shipping adding the shipping costs to the opening bid?

Agreed. Buyer premium ≠ seller fees.

the final bid is the final bid whether there is something called a "buyer's premium" or not, So I Disagree......

Buyer premium is same as seller fee's, just under a different name. Either way you're spending a $100 

Just at Heritage, it would look like seller gets $80 and buyers premium is $20, either way: that way or ebay, buyer still pays $100; on ebay it's an undisclosed buyers premium (shrug) 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

the final bid is the final bid whether there is something called a "buyer's premium" or not, So I Disagree......

Buyer premium is same as seller fee's, just under a different name. Either way you're spending a $100 

Just at Heritage, it would look like seller gets $80 and buyers premium is $20, either way: that way or ebay, buyer still pays $100; on ebay it's an undisclosed buyers premium (shrug) 

It's not, though. Your final bid on eBay is final. There are no added fees outside of taxes.

If you bid $1k on Heritage - you're paying taxes and more. If you bid $1k on eBay - you're only paying taxes (where applicable).

There are ways of mitigating seller fees on eBay, too.