• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

My sales have slowed as well. But I have been shopping a lot. Books are selling great. No deals on anything popular. See a bunch of trash selling. If you want sales throw it up for auction. If you aren't selling good it because you don't have anything good or are asking too much. If I had anymore she future red hulk rogue miles, hot Campbell covers, silver age ff xmen keys I am sure my sales would be amazing. I no longer have any hope of a down market so back to buying at full speed. Will go through some long boxes and see what I can find. But yeah my over priced garbage that few people have any interest in isn't selling. Look at your inventory or have board look at it and see if anyone says I would buy that at that price. I don't have a single book listed that I would be interested in. Just waiting for a sucker to come along. I ask for top $ and if the book isn't hot I don't expect it to sell fast. Some junk has been for sale for years.

trash always sells great haha ... people will literally buy anything

19 minutes ago, littledoom said:

trash always sells great haha ... people will literally buy anything

They sure do. I sold plenty of $3 books that people paid $50 just because they are in a plastic case. Lately though the trash isn't moving. See tons of auctions were trash is being sold at surprising prices. Just my trash I guess. Market is fantastic. I just haven't been listing. Will take 2 weeks and dig through my boxes. Will sell everything good then I will be done until new books get hot. Pretty much done now. Not going to find any silver age I missed. Figure I will come across some miles and she hulk or something. Will set aside riri ms marvel silk and such so I won't have to search for them in future. I am not organized at all so will be a project. Then you will post some trash that sells for $50 bucks now that I never knew was a thing and will be right back to the same mess. Might have to take longer and get better organized. Fun to buy comics. The sorting not so much.

11 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

My sales have slowed as well. But I have been shopping a lot. Books are selling great. No deals on anything popular. See a bunch of trash selling. If you want sales throw it up for auction. If you aren't selling good it because you don't have anything good or are asking too much. If I had anymore she future red hulk rogue miles, hot Campbell covers, silver age ff xmen keys I am sure my sales would be amazing. I no longer have any hope of a down market so back to buying at full speed. Will go through some long boxes and see what I can find. But yeah my over priced garbage that few people have any interest in isn't selling. Look at your inventory or have board look at it and see if anyone says I would buy that at that price. I don't have a single book listed that I would be interested in. Just waiting for a sucker to come along. I ask for top $ and if the book isn't hot I don't expect it to sell fast. Some junk has been for sale for years.

I'm not 100% sure I completely understand your post(s) but I think you are saying hot books or keys are selling great and the rest are cold unless blown out via auction.  I 100% agree with this. 

The "over priced garbage" is getting harder and harder to sell for prices that would have been snatched up a couple years ago unless designated as a hot book on a speculation website - I agree with this also. 

I'm hoping we don't have to use the boards as the metric to determine if a book is at a good price - board members are notoriously cheap.  A do agree E-Bay buyers are quickly becoming as cheap as board members.

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm not 100% sure I completely understand your post(s) but I think you are saying hot books or keys are selling great and the rest are cold unless blown out via auction.  I 100% agree with this. 

Pretty much it. Just saying if you don't think things are selling well you need to take a look in the mirror. What are you selling and for how much. I watch as many auctions as I can and see things sell and for $ I don't understand. Why did somebody pay that much for that. Hot spec books always sell fast. Silver bronze keys gone the same day. Can't say it's a buyers market when buyers are paying 40 50 bucks for jackpot and yellow hulk. Stargirl $100. Ahsoka who knows how much now. Some black plague. Yeah my sales suck but I haven't been trying to sell anything that the masses want. Havnt been listing anything. Anything I listed sold fast and for good money. I simply sold everything that was good. 

I am not much of a ebay seller anymore. But in the past if I listed 10 things every day at least sales always picked up. Running some auctions always drove traffic to my items. 

30 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Pretty much it. Just saying if you don't think things are selling well you need to take a look in the mirror. What are you selling and for how much. I watch as many auctions as I can and see things sell and for $ I don't understand. Why did somebody pay that much for that. Hot spec books always sell fast. Silver bronze keys gone the same day. Can't say it's a buyers market when buyers are paying 40 50 bucks for jackpot and yellow hulk. Stargirl $100. Ahsoka who knows how much now. Some black plague. Yeah my sales suck but I haven't been trying to sell anything that the masses want. Havnt been listing anything. Anything I listed sold fast and for good money. I simply sold everything that was good. 

I am not much of a ebay seller anymore. But in the past if I listed 10 things every day at least sales always picked up. Running some auctions always drove traffic to my items. 

I ask myself who cared $500+ dollars much about Ahsoka a year(s) ago? Usually a comic at that price slowly moves up in price over the years.. but that happened within a year.. nutz

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

I ask myself who cared $500+ dollars much about Ahsoka a year(s) ago? Usually a comic at that price slowly moves up in price over the years.. but that happened within a year.. nutz

Its fomo man. Or keeping up with the Jones's. Nobody cared about jackpot until rumor. Nobody cared about starlord or rocket. Some people cared about thanos and deadpool but not $1,000 worth of caring. I love star wars and Ahsoka. I love Godzilla and Indiana Jones as well. But can care less about their comic book. Some tv or movie characters 1st Appearance in a comic is nothing to me. Ahsoka has been everywhere though, but it takes the live action. Guess miles has more room to grow maybe. It's great how someone all the sudden wants something once it is announced for tv or movie. Made a lot of $ from it. Been happening since 90s at least but really got crazy with iron man movie. Nothing us too stupid to spec on. Remember the last jedi comic haha. 

1 hour ago, Myowncollector said:

It's great how someone all the sudden wants something once it is announced for tv or movie.

This phenomenon seems to work primarily with more recent books that are actually plentiful in supply and relatively easy to find, even in uber high grade.  :p

Doesn't seem to work so well with TV shows which are constantly introducing new characters, especially when it comes to the GA comic book characters since these books are clearly not as easy to find.  If it actually works this way, then since the new Stargirl TV show has an episode entitled "Hourman and Dr. Midnight", then shouldn't books like Adventure Comics 48 & 61 and All-American 25 wake up from their decades long slumber and see some type of spike up in prices.  :taptaptap:  zzz  :whee:

Definitely don't see much action on all 3 of these books, although truth be told, they hardly ever show up in the marketplace.  Sad to say, but even when they do, they don't really seem to set the marketplace on fire.  :(

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This phenomenon seems to work primarily with more recent books that are actually plentiful in supply and relatively easy to find, even in uber high grade

Works on just about every thing. I remember selling wild dog and ragman when they were coming to arrow. Silver age biggest winners. 

Golden age little to no effect. It takes years just to have a chance at buying those books. And people don't part with their golden age books easily and aren't worried about making $ off of them. Af 15 ff1 5 48 hulk 181 any silver age key can be bought any day of the week. Golden age hard to replace. 

On 6/9/2020 at 9:17 PM, lou_fine said:

This phenomenon seems to work primarily with more recent books that are actually plentiful in supply and relatively easy to find, even in uber high grade.  :p

Doesn't seem to work so well with TV shows which are constantly introducing new characters, especially when it comes to the GA comic book characters since these books are clearly not as easy to find.  If it actually works this way, then since the new Stargirl TV show has an episode entitled "Hourman and Dr. Midnight", then shouldn't books like Adventure Comics 48 & 61 and All-American 25 wake up from their decades long slumber and see some type of spike up in prices.  :taptaptap:  zzz  :whee:

Definitely don't see much action on all 3 of these books, although truth be told, they hardly ever show up in the marketplace.  Sad to say, but even when they do, they don't really seem to set the marketplace on fire.  :(

Those are some pretty pricey books.

33 minutes ago, piper said:

Those are some pretty pricey books.

Myabe that's why they tend to sell for less than condition guide whenever they do come to market, which definitely seems to be the trend for many of the second tier DC titles with superhero characters which most collectors in the marketplace have probably forgotten over the decades.  :(

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Myabe that's why they tend to sell for less than condition guide whenever they do come to market, which definitely seems to be the trend for many of the second tier DC titles with superhero characters which most collectors in the marketplace have probably forgotten over the decades.  :(

I have long thought about putting the Star Man run together, look at the prices, and spend my money on GGA instead. I have a soft spot for the Jack Burnley covers in Adventure.

41 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I must be late to the game on this, but what is Clink Exchange? I searched but couldn't really find anything. 

its comiclink.com - they have regular auctions and also a permanent exchange where you can sell books and they get a ten per cent cut. 

Could see some changes in market coming up. Summer is always slow for sales. Kids are home, weather is nice, vacations. Covid delayed that. With lock downs ending people will get out. Comics have somewhat been immune from this because people wanted to buy books to get signed at cons. More shops closed or slow along with dealers unable to sell at cons means more books for sale online. Another stimulus check though and things will go bananas. Election could come into play with the mega books depending on what people think will happen. As a buyer I have seen no change since March. I have found some deals but that is nothing new. Seen plenty of books go for 10 20 or even 30 percent off GPA fmv but that is nothing new. Way more people selling and they are getting great prices would be my general observation. Always will have exceptions. 

Sales are actually still kind of strong and have picked up big this week... had a dip and is now stable where customers are dropping $$$ on big dollar purchases... but it is not what it was in mid March-May.... had maybe 6-8 sales a day.. now it is steady 2-3