• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

I agree that there are reasons to be positive, but that doesn't translate to what will happen and how long certain aspects of the comic book market will react to it.  Larger money is stepping up but it's again not pumping money into comics.  Right now, I think things are generally stable.  I don't see a high percentage of panic selling.  But there are folks unloading things.  I'm resistant to buy at too close to market right now because enough is being offered below if you are patient enough and there are fewer buyers at top levels.  When there's a slow down for many, more books come onto the market -- will the big buyers eat all of it?  probably not, and all I'm suggesting is that as things drag on there'll be more books coming on so folks can bridge financial gaps.  It's already begun.

I haven't disagreed in my post with anything you said so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. (shrug)

A month ago I was telling people that we're going to get locked down for longer than most people realized. Of course prices are going to fluctuate based on what's going on with CV-19 and the economy. Sell if you need to sell.

But there's a lot of negative talk with very little positive reinforcement or balance on both the news on ad on most social media and I am trying to bring some levity to the talk that the world is going to collapse and that all is doomed. That's it.

There are people making money through this (including people who are spending on non-essentials) and some people are even going to make their generational fortunes through this.

But most importantly, eventually we'll bounce back like we always do.

I have been working at home officially since March 13 (had been working at home most of the week the previous few weeks)...fortunately I am still able to work and get paid.  Did everything I needed to do on March 13 as far as making sure my laptop VPN was all was in order...connectivity to the company servers etc...packed up and told my co-workers...seeya in 2021...lol :insane: In for the long haul...

Still 8 states in US without formal "Stay At Home" dictates...pretty stupid.  My family and I are lucky to live in a pretty safe sector of the world...but who knows when and where the invisible virus will getcha...still have to venture out into the world occasionally for food/essentials but we're observing all the protocols.  Not buying comics these days but my current collecting passion...wine...I can get that delivered to my doorstep... :headbang:

10 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agree that large-scale shows are basically done for the year.

On the above, there's *zero* chance that NY/PA/DC/MD/VA open re-open by May 1 and even mid-June is optimistic.

I think the true deals will start a month from now, when May rent is due, unemployment's higher and many southern states are further along the COVID curve.

The great depression was just 24.5% unemployment. We'll likely hit that within the next 40 days.

I am that friend that said that to Foolkiller.

IMO you will start to see things reopen in May.  I didnt say large gathering, but I can see people being allowed back to work in May and some restaurants be able to open.  People can never see light in the dark which is the darkest right now.  I highly doubt in May corona will be as strong as it is now.  That would mean the most deadly outbreak of the virus per square mile was here in the USA if we are 2.5 months into this.  Think on that a little......  We still have an entire month to slow this down.  We wont see the full affects the lockdowns till 4-15-20.  These next two 2 weeks are gong to be bad.  Glimmer of light starts around tax day. (4-15 through 4-20ish).  Again I am not saying May 1st life is beautiful, but I do think May some normality comes back into play.  Slow but an improvement.

I think many here are failing to realize its easy for most of us that are still working and having income coming in to all gung-ho and go team on this.  However, for many people world-wide right now they dont have that luxury to wait this out.  By May 1st the powers that be will have to make a decision.  What will be worse CV-19 or economic deaths?  That is the big unknown right now.  I really hope we can stomp this virus out enough to wear those decisions do not have to come to a vote.  

I will say this about your possible mid-June, if that comes true (which I highly doubt) then you and many others will be begging for the Virus to come and take you out.   Just imagine the divorce rates.  (shrug)

Edited by NewWorldOrder

45 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I am that friend that said that to Foolkiller.

IMO you will start to see things reopen in May.  I didnt say large gathering, but I can see people being allowed back to work in May and some restaurants be able to open.  People can never see light in the dark which is the darkest right now.  I highly doubt in May corona will be as strong as it is now.  That would mean the most deadly outbreak of the virus per square mile was here in the USA if we are 2.5 months into this.  Think on that a little......  We still have an entire month to slow this down.  We wont see the full affects the lockdowns till 4-15-20.  These next two 2 weeks are gong to be bad.  Glimmer of light starts around tax day. (4-15 through 4-20ish).  Again I am not saying May 1st life is beautiful, but I do think May some normality comes back into play.  Slow but an improvement.

I think many here are failing to realize its easy for most of us that are still working and having income coming in to all gung-ho and go team on this.  However, for many people world-wide right now they dont have that luxury to wait this out.  By May 1st the powers that be will have to make a decision.  What will be worse CV-19 or economic deaths?  That is the big unknown right now.  I really hope we can stomp this virus out enough to wear those decisions do not have to come to a vote.  

I will say this about your possible mid-June, if that comes true (which I highly doubt) then you and many others will be begging for the Virus to come and take you out.   Just imagine the divorce rates.  (shrug)

Here in Virginia, the governor's already placed us under a stay-at-home order through June 10.

And today DC's Mayor announced the peak is expected to hit greater DC in late June-early July.

Given that each of these announcements are very tough ones to make politically, they must know we're closer to the beginning of this thing than the end.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Here in Virginia, the governor's already placed us under a stay-at-home order through June 10.

And today DC's Mayor announced the peak is expected to hit greater DC in late June-early July.

Given that each of these announcements are very tough ones to make politically, they must know we're closer to the beginning of this thing than the end.

Man things are rough in Virginia. That whole situation of having to choose who dies and who lives that Italy experienced is happening in hospitals right now. I hear it from my cousin who is a doctor in Portsmouth. I can't believe it's come to that already.

And just so I stay on topic: I still don't really see it being a buyer's market. It's rather stable still from what I am looking at and there are even some record highs as well.

Edited by William-James88

Mega key books will sell for their mega key prices.. don't expect to snag a $3,000 comic for $50...there are always buyers .. I've seen CGC high grade slabs sell for above retail this week.. if the condition is lower grade raw that might be a different story

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

There are people making money through this (including people who are spending on non-essentials) and some people are even going to make their generational fortunes through this.

Ah ha.....................so you are buying into the conspiracy theory that this whole CV-19 fiasco was all the work of some high level global financial cabal to make a ton of money.  :bigsmile:  :flipbait:  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Ah ha.....................so you are buying into the conspiracy theory that this whole CV-19 fiasco was all the work of some high level global financial cabal to make a ton of money.  :bigsmile:  :flipbait:  :flipbait:

If you wanted to take over the world, a global pandemic is where you would start.:baiting:

I wanted to run an experiment as people seem to be buying Lego.

I listed a Star Wars Lego set in a trashed box.  It was basically falling apart. 

Mint boxes go for $90-$125... the last two sales before mine were $104 and $105 in brand new boxes.   There were a bunch of others listed higher than that though.

I sold it last week for $120 + Shipping and the buyer never paid.  Filed the case and got the fees back.

I relisted it at $135 + shipping just to see what would happen.  By the end of the day it sold. 

Another one sold later that day for $150 shipped which worked out to be cheaper because it's a larger set so shipping is around $20.

People are still spending money... just maybe not on comics right now. 

Edited by Buzzetta

47 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I wanted to run an experiment as people seem to be buying Lego.

I listed a Star Wars Lego set in a trashed box.  It was basically falling apart. 

Mint boxes go for $90-$125... the last two sales before mine were $104 and $105 in brand new boxes.   There were a bunch of others listed higher than that though.

I sold it last week for $120 + Shipping and the buyer never paid.  Filed the case and got the fees back.

I relisted it at $135 + shipping just to see what would happen.  By the end of the day it sold. 

Another one sold later that day for $150 shipped which worked out to be cheaper because it's a larger set so shipping is around $20.

People are still spending money... just maybe not on comics right now. 

There's no doubt people are spending money -- but for how long is the question, because as unemployment climbs and reality starts to set in, the need to be more conservative is going to scare people.  Also, when things don't exactly return to normal right away, it's going to spook people too.  John(NWO) and I have gone back and forth about what will happen.  I agree with him in so far as a lot of folks are going to be upset with how long it will go, but there's probably (and this isn't a political statement) nobody more frustrated than Trump now with the economic closures.  But even he's recognizing that it's going to go quite some time and be rough.  Individual governors are going to control how long a lot of places stay in lock down, so as indicated above, some are saying definitely through May.  I disagree with things really reopening in May at any significant level -- I do think corporate America will go back to work first and then slowly restaurants and then sports at a level where there may be no fans or something along those lines.  But even then it's going to be slow and gradual and several business will flat out not survive this so there won't be things reopening because they will have ceased to exist.  The trickle down effect will be people simply spending less -- not just on comics and legos -- but a lot of less essential consumer goods -- in part because of the psychology and in part because they won't have the money.  I don't think the reality has set in for a lot of Americans -- nor do they understand how dramatic the long term impact is going to be -- and they're telling themselves that things will be back to normal.  I think we will get through this, but the recovery time is closer to years than weeks.  This is why when people say the cure can't be worse than the disease, I'm sympathetic.  People haven't adjusted yet to the fallout.  

For the comic folks, I'd say simply hold and wait.  If you own high end books, don't be anxious to sell into this market.  I think there's still going to be an appetite for slightly lower end items and there's still money in the market -- premium items will still sell.  But I think that some of the folks holding high end items will not be able to afford to hold onto them -- and the folks spending unemployment checks on collectibles are going to find it may not be so easy to just go back to work right away in many industries.  That will then turn into some sales as well.  

Edited by Foolkiller

2 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

There's no doubt people are spending money -- but for how long is the question, because as unemployment climbs and reality starts to set in, the need to be more conservative is going to scare people.  Also, when things don't exactly return to normal right away, it's going to spook people too.  John(NWO) and I have gone back and forth about what will happen.  I agree with him in so far as a lot of folks are going to be upset with how long it will go, but there's probably (and this isn't a political statement) nobody more frustrated than Trump now with the economic closures.  But even he's recognizing that it's going to go quite some time and be rough.  Individual governors are going to control how long a lot of places stay in lock down, so as indicated above, some are saying definitely through May.  I disagree with things really reopening in May at any significant level -- I do think corporate America will go back to work first and then slowly restaurants and then sports at a level where there may be no fans or something along those lines.  But even then it's going to be slow and gradual and several business will flat out not survive this so there won't be things reopening because they will have ceased to exist.  The trickle down effect will be people simply spending less -- not just on comics and legos -- but a lot of less essential consumer goods -- in part because of the psychology and in part because they won't have the money.  I don't think the reality has set in for a lot of Americans -- nor do they understand how dramatic the long term impact is going to be -- and they're telling themselves that things will be back to normal.  I think we will get through this, but the recovery time is closer to years than weeks.  This is why when people say the cure can't be worse than the disease, I'm sympathetic.  People haven't adjusted yet to the fallout.  

For the comic folks, I'd say simply hold and wait.  If you own high end books, don't be anxious to sell into this market.  I think there's still going to be an appetite for slightly lower end items and there's still money in the market -- premium items will still sell.  But I think that some of the folks holding high end items will not be able to afford to hold onto them -- and the folks spending unemployment checks on collectibles are going to find it may not be so easy to just go back to work right away in many industries.  That will then turn into some sales as well.  

Thank you for that message of hope.  This thread just gets more uplifting which is why I have basically stopped reading them.

I am just thankful that I have lots of inventory that I can grade and price.  That there are customers out there still buying.  That my website works.   That I have good and supportive friends out there that feel I will survive as a business in whatever business world we wind up having.  But I would be lying if that "faith" isn't rattled when I don't see things improving to "my timeline" 

Edited by blazingbob

17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I am trying to bring some levity to the talk that the world is going to collapse and that all is doomed. That's it.

I just today realized this has been on display in my front window for several months... might be a good idea to take it down for awhile!  :S

image.png.772b725ca77505766361255678cf9f68.png

8 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I just today realized this has been on display in my front window for several months... might be a good idea to take it down for awhile!  :S

Yeah not exactly the poster of hope.  

I miss the 1950s (okay... I was only there for 2 years of it)... none of this microscopic invisible thingys attacking us.  Yessir, in my day we had these big colossal grasshoppers, and spiders, and ants, and giant birds that looked like pinatas... somethin' you could see and analyze and blast the krapp out of.  Sure... briefly we had that one invisible thing... but then we got 'em to show themselves and they were just a bunch of brains hoppin' around on their spinal cords... squashed real easy.  Those were the days!

Edited by Bookery

31 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Those were the days!

I'm sensing some Mary Hopkin's song lyrics forthcoming to add to The Bookery's "Greatest Coronavirus Hits" collection! (available soon from K-Tel records)

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I love it. It's a GGA Green Dress piece of art, which is what I collected back in the day.

57 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I miss the 1950s (okay... I was only there for 2 years of it)... none of this microscopic invisible thingys attacking us.  Yessir, in my day we had these big colossal grasshoppers, and spiders, and ants, and giant birds that looked like pinatas... somethin' you could see and analyze and blast the krapp out of.  Sure... briefly we had that one invisible thing... but then we got 'em to show themselves and they were just a bunch of brains hoppin' around on their spinal cords... squashed real easy.  Those were the days!

People keep telling me that as society progresses everything becomes more awesome but as society progresses the less awesome things become bigger too.

Can't have one without the other.

Law of Entropy and all that.

Edited by VintageComics

22 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

I'm sensing some Mary Hopkin's song lyrics forthcoming to add to The Bookery's "Greatest Coronavirus Hits" collection! (available soon from K-Tel records)

Yeah... i do gotta apologize to everyone.  I've posted more in the past week than I have in the past 2 years, I think.  Usually my posts are a little dry and analytical, but silly is keeping me grounded right now.  Of course... my sanity means the rest of you must suffer!