• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I had all the Joes and saved the backing cards and all that too.  Had all the Star Wars figures too.  Had huge crates of the stuff that I think we ultimately donated in the late 80s.  Them's the breaks.

Yeah but at least you feel good that you donated it and someone else got to enjoy it.. I think every collector get to this stage at some point in their collecting life. 

I remember in March when this all started I got many messages from cheapskate lowballers asking for 70-80% off my prices because the "world was ending"... point is they thought it was a buyers market and we all know how that turned out.... 

Edited by littledoom

39 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

The only big difference I have noticed with COVID is how many more US sellers - including many sellers on these CGC sales forums - now refuse to ship to Canada. ¬¬

:censored:

I agree. I’ve been very fortunate that a boardie has been an intermediary and shipped books to Canada for me.

I think it has to do with people being bored out of their minds, spending more time working from home and thus spending more time on the computer procrastinating, and also a bit of fear which resulted in subconscious hoarding mentality similar to what we saw with toilet paper back in the early covid panic.  Those of us who are collectors release our hoarding urge on whatever it is we focus collecting.  I went the opposite direction and sold a bunch.
I think it is a bit funny my sales thread that was posted near the bottom of the crash has prices today that would make people angry.  I had a ton of books that went unsold and a few others that sold for 30-50% more not much afterwards.

Edited by 90sChild

5 hours ago, Asianassassincomics said:

Sports card market has also gone nuts and not a buyer's market. Unopened boxes, PSA 10s and Jordan / Kobe / Lebron stuff is crazy. 

Not to mention the graded, sealed video game market as well. Insane prices being paid for NES titles. Tyson, Zelda, Metroid, etc., all commanding big dollars in high grade.

BIG AUCTIONS THIS WEEK!
WALLETS WILL TAKE BEATINGS!

clinkvscconnect_kirk_gorn_batmobile.jpg.34f4bf3b3ca890277ce119f4ed3fd733.jpg

Now we'll really get to see if the long sought buyer's market will start to emerge. If you've been watching closely there has been downward price pressure on the higher grade keys, books that sell for five figures plus, but that just hasn't affected the books in the $500 - $5000 range much yet. I think we might start to see some signs of the buyer's market coming this week. It just feels like the number of sellers is on the rise, and the abundant cash is either kind of on pause or being used for more important things right now.

9 hours ago, snitzer said:

Not to mention the graded, sealed video game market as well. Insane prices being paid for NES titles. Tyson, Zelda, Metroid, etc., all commanding big dollars in high grade.

Yes, this is insane

I see Nerdygirl on Instagram selling sealed graded video games all the time and I'm like "What, this is a thing?"

6 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

BIG AUCTIONS THIS WEEK!
WALLETS WILL TAKE BEATINGS!

clinkvscconnect_kirk_gorn_batmobile.jpg.34f4bf3b3ca890277ce119f4ed3fd733.jpg

Now we'll really get to see if the long sought buyer's market will start to emerge. If you've been watching closely there has been downward price pressure on the higher grade keys, books that sell for five figures plus, but that just hasn't affected the books in the $500 - $5000 range much yet. I think we might start to see some signs of the buyer's market coming this week. It just feels like the number of sellers is on the rise, and the abundant cash is either kind of on pause or being used for more important things right now.

It will be interesting, but in defense of five figure books, those can fluctuate a few k here and there seemingly over night

On 8/20/2020 at 6:05 PM, Black_Adam said:

The only big difference I have noticed with COVID is how many more US sellers - including many sellers on these CGC sales forums - now refuse to ship to Canada. ¬¬

Agreed!

To all you Yanks, us Hosers are fine paying for it! You can track stuff and if we get but with customs, that’s on the buyer. It doesn’t even take that long anymore, couple weeks, same as usual.

On ‎2020‎-‎08‎-‎20 at 4:35 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Yeah

This thread aged horribly

Most all observations, reports and accounts here are anecdotal...which is fine but does not necessarily convey all reality and truth.  And a lot of these areas and items are quite niche-y.  Current CLINK Auction has as many uber/HG ASM I've seen in some time 1-50+ (seems like someone unloaded their HG collection) so I will be curious to see for these the final sales prices.  I will go so far as to say or feel that the market has remained fairly stable but I do not see any significant or slightly significant uptick in Silver Age market (my interest)...

31 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Most all observations, reports and accounts here are anecdotal...which is fine but does not necessarily convey all reality and truth.  And a lot of these areas and items are quite niche-y.  Current CLINK Auction has as many uber/HG ASM I've seen in some time 1-50+ (seems like someone unloaded their HG collection) so I will be curious to see for these the final sales prices.  I will go so far as to say or feel that the market has remained fairly stable but I do not see any significant or slightly significant uptick in Silver Age market (my interest)...

Yeah I noticed that as well... silver seems undervalued compared to copper or bronze which is just fine with me.  Most of the speculation coming into copper and even modern books seems very short sighted to me and is based only on the movie speculation train we've seen over the past 10-15 years.  It is a simple supply and demand equation and yet nobody is paying attention to just how much supply there is of 9.8 copper and modern books.  I'd take a 8.5 or 9.0 silver over a 9.8 modern any day and will continue to do so as I only add silver books to the collection.

Last book I bought was a FF#28 8.5, looking at the census counting all the 8.5 copies there are still less than 200 total graded.  It sells for roughly what a CGC 9.6 ultimate fallout #4 would get.  Nearly 2000 9.8's and 1500 9.6's on the census for the book, but as we all know, the 1st miles book will continue to climb higher and higher in price despite those numbers, and I have zero doubt it will outperform my FF#28 over the next few years.  That didn't stop me from buying it though, I'm sticking with the rarity side of the equation.

Edited by 90sChild

On 8/22/2020 at 7:10 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Agreed!

To all you Yanks, us Hosers are fine paying for it! You can track stuff and if we get but with customs, that’s on the buyer. It doesn’t even take that long anymore, couple weeks, same as usual.

I've noticed that sometimes key books in Canada sell for more then the same copy/grade in the U.S I especially remember a recent ASM 15 I ended up buying from My Comic Shop a full grade point higher then someone was selling here in Canada and I messaged the guy in Canada offering him what I deemed was FMV and he went into a tirade about my age and experience and if I'd ever bought a comic before, it was a very embarrassing experience for me...that being said I am happy with the book from My Comic Shop and I think I only paid $64 in duty charges which I was able to do online without slowing up the process...there are a few really good dealers in Canada but when they don't have what you want then buy American 

Edited by Hollywood1892