• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

John(NWO) and I have gone back and forth about what will happen.

John was just saying a few weeks ago that everything was fine. lol

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Thank you for that message of hope.  This thread just gets more uplifting which is why I have basically stopped reading them.

That was my point.

I was trying to bring some REAL positives into the world rather than the doom and gloom.

Edited by VintageComics

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I miss the 1950s (okay... I was only there for 2 years of it)... none of this microscopic invisible thingys attacking us.  Yessir, in my day we had these big colossal grasshoppers, and spiders, and ants, and giant birds that looked like pinatas... somethin' you could see and analyze and blast the krapp out of.  Sure... briefly we had that one invisible thing... but then we got 'em to show themselves and they were just a bunch of brains hoppin' around on their spinal cords... squashed real easy.  Those were the days!

Guess you were too young to remember this one.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/timeline/polio

15 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I highly doubt in May corona will be as strong as it is now. 

Every state will be different. It all depends on when they started shutting down.

The states that JUST started? They have a couple of months ahead of them.

And the hard part will be prevent people from reinfecting, or people moving from states that don't take it seriously to states that DO take it seriously. This all started from one infected person, so it wouldn't take much for the pandemic to become fugly again.

That's why I'm excited about the whole anti-body immunity testing. If in fact people can be tested for antibodies and build immunity, those people can go back out into the world without it changing the course of the pandemic.

That's great news.

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I just today realized this has been on display in my front window for several months... might be a good idea to take it down for awhile!  :S

image.png.772b725ca77505766361255678cf9f68.png

The 50's were awesome.

Funny, I kind of had a similar experience yesterday.  I was scanning some books to sell and paused to wonder how this one would go over...

StarTrekDC34a.jpg

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

John was just saying a few weeks ago that everything was fine. lol

That was my point.

I was trying to bring some REAL positives into the world rather than the doom and gloom.

It's not doom and gloom.  It's preparing for how to react to the market and what to do in order to function in it.  Rainbows and unicorns aren't really the way to go.  that doesn't mean there aren't positive things or hope.  Telling yourself it's all going to be back to normal in may or June to me is foolish.  It's part of the problem we've been having which is that the manner in which we've been living may not be sustainable across the board.  I think the positive is that this can bring about changes that will make life take a more positive path even if it's more painful short term.  Telling everyone there's not going to be significant changes and the need for tough times in the short term doesn't mean there's not reason for optimism.  The fallacy is believing things are going back to way they were in weeks.  I think in a lot of places the curve is going to flatten and reduce, but people aren't going to be running back out and reopening things for mass gatherings.  Will you be locked down still?  Maybe not.  But as things begin to return to normal, the things people are going to worry about getting back to having functioning aren't large group gatherings.  So my point is, the hope is that things will start to improve virus wise in the short term, not business as usual for a long, long time.  That is the hopefulness.  That is real positives.

My sales during the past six weeks are actually close to on par with sales from this time during 2019.  Being a vintage comic dealer almost everything I sell is a unique skew so comparing one year to the next has variables, but comics online are still selling up to this point.  The middle of March was a little slower than the past week, so some uptick in online activity.   I recently made some rounds via car to some shops and spent some funds with those who are open.  They tried to hide the anxiety of lower sales, at that moment in time I made some purchases to give them some optimism at least for that week.  

Now on to local news, our governor has just moved our peak from late May, now its July.  We have a shut down all dine in restaurants, hair salons, bars, fitness facilities, playground equipment in parks, non essential medical and dental.  All schools public buildings and events have been postponed or canceled.  All public board meetings and gatherings have been canceled or moved to zoom participation.  Comic stores are still open with limited customers and social distancing between customers.    Walmart just started a person count and arrows on the isles to make rows one way.  Banks and food are drive through only.  

I'm not sure why SDCC is persisting with this farce that there's any chance that the SDCC will happen this year.  Here's what the Governor in CA said when asked about the possibility of sports in August or September:

California Gov. Gavin Newsom was asked about the possibility of sports hosting events and fans by August or September.

“Look, I’m not here to second guess anybody, but I am here to say this, our decision on that basis, at least here in the state of  California, will be determined by the facts, will be determined  by the health experts, will be determined by our capacity to meet this moment, bend the curve and have the appropriate community surveillance and testing to confidently determine whether or not that’s appropriate and right now I’m just focused on the immediate, but that’s not something I anticipate happening in the next few months.”

Had two internet auctions close today. The results were mixed but not as bad as I was expecting. Three items got sold at about what I was hoping for, and one didnt meet the minimum so I get it back. I bought a half dozen things and only lost one item I really wanted. With two minutes to go, I was high bid at $14, and it ended up going for $ 165 in a  violent three way dance.

1 hour ago, Topnotchman said:

My sales during the past six weeks are actually close to on par with sales from this time during 2019.  Being a vintage comic dealer almost everything I sell is a unique skew so comparing one year to the next has variables, but comics online are still selling up to this point.  The middle of March was a little slower than the past week, so some uptick in online activity.   I recently made some rounds via car to some shops and spent some funds with those who are open.  They tried to hide the anxiety of lower sales, at that moment in time I made some purchases to give them some optimism at least for that week.  

Now on to local news, our governor has just moved our peak from late May, now its July.  We have a shut down all dine in restaurants, hair salons, bars, fitness facilities, playground equipment in parks, non essential medical and dental.  All schools public buildings and events have been postponed or canceled.  All public board meetings and gatherings have been canceled or moved to zoom participation.  Comic stores are still open with limited customers and social distancing between customers.    Walmart just started a person count and arrows on the isles to make rows one way.  Banks and food are drive through only.  

Wow, from late May to July. And you live in the Mt Rushmore state? I would think places like that would be the safest. As of yesterday, I think I heard your state was one of the few still "open". Guess they finally got smart.

I live in LA. Next to NY one of the big ones for this. We are pretty much locked down other than super essential businesses like grocery store, pharmacys, hardware stores, plumbers and car repair shops oh, and gun stores...(shrug). NO comic book stores, unless you pay with Paypal and they put it in your trunk. I have a couple of vintage motorcycles. My local shop will be open until Tuesday. I will be able to pick up some parts if they load them in my trunk hopefully after that. Working on my bikes is very soothing and helps me not think a lot. 

We were the first to shut down. They said it might peak in two to three weeks. Because of that, hospitals at this time, have a decent grip on it. The curve, although moving up every day has been gradual but not mind blowing. In my mind, it will be maybe June before a slow open up but what do I know? As of today, EVERYONE in Riverside county is REQUIRED to wear masks or be fined. Fine with me. Most people are complying pretty well here.

Comic sales for me online have been pretty decent with no real dips or increases. I have kept the listings to lower grade or less expensive stuff. More work but same results. I also deal in old toys, advertising, vintage sports stuff and other "Americana" That has slowed a bit more and I have to drop my prices a bit to move stuff. Not being able to do live shows has curtailed a lot of business. I'm putting the better stuff away until the "sun starts shining" a little better and it will eventually.

Oh, and heard that one Tiger in Iowa and three in NY have tested positive for this. WTF?  Luckily, I am a dog owner...

Stay well and stay safe!

Edited by Robot Man

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, from late May to July. And you live in the Mt Rushmore state? I would think places like that would be the safest. As of yesterday, I think I heard your state was one of the few still "open". Guess they finally got smart.

I live in LA. Next to NY one of the big ones for this. We are pretty much locked down other than super essential businesses like grocery store, pharmacys, hardware stores, plumbers and car repair shops oh, and gun stores...(shrug). NO comic book stores, unless you pay with Paypal and they put it in your trunk. I have a couple of vintage motorcycles. My local shop will be open until Tuesday. I will be able to pick up some parts if they load them in my trunk hopefully after that. Working on my bikes is very soothing and helps me not think a lot. 

We were the first to shut down. They said it might peak in two to three weeks. Because of that, hospitals at this time, have a decent grip on it. The curve, although moving up every day has been gradual but not mind blowing. In my mind, it will be maybe June before a slow open up but what do I know? As of today, EVERYONE in Riverside county is REQUIRED to wear masks or be fined. Fine with me. Most people are complying pretty well here.

Comic sales for me online have been pretty decent with no real dips or increases. I have kept the listings to lower grade or less expensive stuff. More work but same results. I also deal in old toys, advertising, vintage sports stuff and other "Americana" That has slowed a bit more and I have to drop my prices a bit to move stuff. Not being able to do live shows has curtailed a lot of business. I'm putting the better stuff away until the "sun starts shining" a little better and it will eventually.

Oh, and heard that one Tiger in Iowa and three in NY have tested positive for this. WTF?  Luckily, I am a dog owner...

Stay well and stay safe!

Yes the Rushmore state.  Since we do not have an international air port its going to take time as people move around before it gets established in our state, I'm sure the metro areas on the coasts will send us there ventilators as you will be on the downhill side when it escalates here.   Our governor pushed the responsibility to cities and counties to create ordinances to lock down locally, most of the counties with more than a few thousand people have stepped forward and closed everything up.    The summer tourism is basically going to be a total loss. 

7 minutes ago, Topnotchman said:

Yes the Rushmore state.  Since we do not have an international air port its going to take time as people move around before it gets established in our state, I'm sure the metro areas on the coasts will send us there ventilators as you will be on the downhill side when it escalates here.   Our governor pushed the responsibility to cities and counties to create ordinances to lock down locally, most of the counties with more than a few thousand people have stepped forward and closed everything up.    The summer tourism is basically going to be a total loss. 

Hopefully, with everything shut down you won't need many ventilators. In NY, they are now having to choose who gets them and who doesn't. I can't imagine having to make that choice. It is simply criminal that supplies are in such short supply. We just can't do enough for these very brave souls. Take heed and stay home...

As many said before there are millions out of work and due to the virus the economy may take a while to rebound. There are millions with no income for food, rent, or medical supplies. I bet comics are the farthest thing from their minds unless it’s sell them. I was on  another forum and I have been hearing that a lot of people are saying that this experience have put a lot of things into perspective. Family, health and having some savings is a lot more important than collectibles. I don’t know if these collectors will ever return. I think the longer this drags on the worse it will get. 

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

It's not doom and gloom.  It's preparing for how to react to the market and what to do in order to function in it.  Rainbows and unicorns aren't really the way to go.  that doesn't mean there aren't positive things or hope.  Telling yourself it's all going to be back to normal in may or June to me is foolish.  It's part of the problem we've been having which is that the manner in which we've been living may not be sustainable across the board.  I think the positive is that this can bring about changes that will make life take a more positive path even if it's more painful short term.  Telling everyone there's not going to be significant changes and the need for tough times in the short term doesn't mean there's not reason for optimism.  The fallacy is believing things are going back to way they were in weeks.  I think in a lot of places the curve is going to flatten and reduce, but people aren't going to be running back out and reopening things for mass gatherings.  Will you be locked down still?  Maybe not.  But as things begin to return to normal, the things people are going to worry about getting back to having functioning aren't large group gatherings.  So my point is, the hope is that things will start to improve virus wise in the short term, not business as usual for a long, long time.  That is the hopefulness.  That is real positives.

Again, I don't disagree with anything you've said. In fact, I've been telling people all of those same things since it all started.

Nobody was talking about Rainbows and Unicorns. I think maybe NWO needed that line, not me. lol

I've been an entertainer for 35 years and have ALWAYS found work in that time.  

BUT you can't do gigs when no one is allowed to gather.  All my gigs have cancelled until June 1st.  I have 75 gigs booked in June and July & I fear that they are ALL gone.  Maybe, just maybe I can start working again in August.  Fingers crossed.

Long story short.... I am selling comics full time right now.  My low dollar stuff is doing fine and I feel like I can get by on that, but I felt the need to give myself some breathing room so I unloaded 2 of my huge key comics ($17,500 for the 2 of them).  If the buyers got a great deal I am SO happy for them, I am also very happy and grateful for ME because I feel like I have some breathing room.

If you've got money to spend, I'm sure there's others like me who have lost their jobs and are selling right now.  I sure won't be buying anything big right now because of my personal situation.

Edited by gadzukes