• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes I am sure the thousands of people that are and soon to be jobless in California thank him.  :smirk:

I think you mean tens of thousands or many more.  The economic devastation, worldwide, from this crisis is unprecedented.  We'll bounce back, but a lot of people will suffer.  I already know people who have lost their jobs (at least until their employers re-open).   But, if Pesident Trump is right that we are now facing 100,000 to 250,000 deaths, on a good result, than I can't fault any governor for trying to save lives.  

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

LoL!  You exagerate, but I agree that the homeless situation is worse now than it was.

SF was in great shape when his Mayoral term ended.  Both Brown and Newsom were great (and I am not a GN fan, I have strong criticisms of his personal judgment based on my own personal experiences).  The next mayor, Lee, screwed up because he sacrificed proper funding for city services to line the pockets of tech companies (his daughter started Lyft, I think).  I was skeptical of the current Mayor London Breed, but her leadership is showing results.  A comparison:

SF - 568 cases - 8 deaths. 

SD - 1,323 cases - 16 deaths.

So far, California is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than NYC, and SF is the best off.  Results speak volumes.  

I am for sure not a fan of Lee.  To be fair NYC has a lot more people and more international travel.  I think there are some other factors that come in play I yes I generally agree with you.

I am not saying he is handling this bad, I am still frustrated that an amazing city like SF has gone so downhill.  Talking pre corona now.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

I think you mean tens of thousands or many more.  The economic devastation, worldwide, from this crisis is unprecedented.  We'll bounce back, but a lot of people will suffer.  I already know people who have lost their jobs (at least until their employers re-open).   But, if Pesident Trump is right that we are now facing 100,000 to 250,000 deaths, on a good result, than I can't fault any governor for trying to save lives.  

Again the real question is at what point will the economic lives be worse than the cost of saving CV lives.  Not a fun topic, but still the truth none the less.

Either way I hope you, friends, and family are safe.  Be well!

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I've been an entertainer for 35 years and have ALWAYS found work in that time.  

BUT you can't do gigs when no one is allowed to gather.  All my gigs have cancelled until June 1st.  I have 75 gigs booked in June and July & I fear that they are ALL gone.  Maybe, just maybe I can start working again in August.  Fingers crossed.

Long story short.... I am selling comics full time right now.  My low dollar stuff is doing fine and I feel like I can get by on that, but I felt the need to give myself some breathing room so I unloaded 2 of my huge key comics ($17,500 for the 2 of them).  If the buyers got a great deal I am SO happy for them, I am also very happy and grateful for ME because I feel like I have some breathing room.

If you've got money to spend, I'm sure there's others like me who have lost their jobs and are selling right now.  I sure won't be buying anything big right now because of my personal situation.

really stinks about losing all your gigs now. sadly there are tons of folks in the same boat. congrats at least on selling some big books! just curious where you choose to sell; the boards, auctions, or private sales?

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

sales have been great for non-comic items.. I would say it's even a seller's market.. if you have the goods no one else has it's a good time to be selling ..

You mean masks, gowns and ventilator's?  Yup,  I'm rolling in them.  NWO Cali just shipped a bunch of ventilators to NY.  

3 hours ago, JJ-4 said:

I would not read too much into this data, too soon to tell what the outcomes will look like.

The number of cases is really tied to just how many tests they have and how quickly they get the results back and also speaks to which city the virus started transmitting the virus from person to person first (not just a few outlier cases that were well documented).

The number of deaths is a very low so very variable on outcome as well as which population was impacted (young and healthy or sick and old). 

SF had cases before NYC, but also dived quickly into the lockdown - well before the state as a whole.  And even before the city went into lockdown, many area employers had already told employees to work remotely.  At my office, we had already closed for a day for a clean-up (an employee had been in contact with a positive result) before the lockdown.  As a result, the curve in SF is much flatter than other parts of the country.  It was very good leadership.  Our health care system is not overloaded.  

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

SF had cases before NYC, but also dived quickly into the lockdown - well before the state as a whole.  And even before the city went into lockdown, many area employers had already told employees to work remotely.  At my office, we had already closed for a day for a clean-up (an employee had been in contact with a positive result) before the lockdown.  As a result, the curve in SF is much flatter than other parts of the country.  It was very good leadership.  Our health care system is not overloaded.  

Population density in New York is far, FAR greater than SF. You're comparing apples and oranges.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:46 AM, VintageComics said:
On 4/4/2020 at 7:23 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I highly doubt in May corona will be as strong as it is now. 

Every state will be different. It all depends on when they started shutting down.

The states that JUST started? They have a couple of months ahead of them.

This is very true as I believe it really depends on which part of the country got hit first and then if they took corrective action immediately.  hm

Just take a look at the case for North America where the initial epicenters for America was the state of Washington and the province of B.C. for Canada.  I assume Washington probably took the same steps as B.C. which was to institute testing immediately and do contact tracing as much as possible for all positive cases identified in order to minimize community spread.  Interesting to note that the state of Washington which was at the top of the CV-19 list when this whole thing started dropped down into #7 or #8 spot on the weekend and has today actually fallen into the #12 spot in terms of states with the highest total of CV-19 cases.  (thumbsu

Same trend with the province of B.C. which started off at the top of the list with hundreds of more cases than any other province when this whole thing started to ramp up a few weeks ago.  They've now fallen from the top spot into #4 spot with 25 new cases today for a total of 1,291 total cases to date.  Definitely looking a lot better as B.C. appears to be flattening the curve now with cases either staying the same or dropping every day for the past week or so.  Definitely a lot better than Ontario which is now almost 4 times a high as BC, even though they apparently have done the lowest amount of provincial testing by far on a per capita basis, with both Alberta nd B.C. running at the top of the charts for this indicator.  Sad to say, definitely a whole lot better than those fun-loving and wild party animal French Canadiens in the out of control province of Quebec who are now more than 7X higher than B.C. with something like 9,340 total cases to date and still rising substantially on a daily basis.  :sick: :sick: :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/5/2020 at 9:40 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Again the real question is at what point will the economic lives be worse than the cost of saving CV lives.  Not a fun topic, but still the truth none the less.

Either way I hope you, friends, and family are safe.  Be well!

There is no such real question, no such "at what point". 

I've lived through nine recessions in my lifetime. Not one was a threat to my life, only my economic well being. Good and bad economic times are inevitable, one always follows another. Deaths during a recession are almost entirely by suicide, alcohol related and by men between the ages of 45-60. While any death is regrettable, suicides are still the individual's choice.  And if your out of work, 50 year old male neighbor or friend is out of work and drinking constantly, go talk to him. You might save his life.  

No amount of talking to your neighbor or friend will prevent death by the coronavirus. Might make it worse. And COVID 19 isn't by choice. 

As for the OP's original question - it appears moderately priced comics are doing fine. Now is not the moment one will get the best price on expensive mega keys.  But more reasonably priced  - but still collectible - books don't look to have changed much. Most LCS are closed. MCS is closed. More people are at home and more people are now purchasing stuff online. So far at least it seems to be (mostly)  balancing out.  If this drags out into July or August, who knows. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This is very true as I believe it really depends on which part of the country got hit first and then if they took corrective action immediately.  hm

Just take a look at the case for North America where the initial epicenters for America was the state of Washington and the province of B.C. for Canada.  I assume Washington probably took the same steps as B.C. which was to institute testing immediately and do contact tracing as much as possible for all positive cases identified in order to minimize community spread.  Interesting to note that the state of Washington which was at the top of the CV-19 list when this whole thing started dropped down into #7 or #8 spot on the weekend and has today actually fallen into the #12 spot in terms of states with the highest total of CV-19 cases.  (thumbsu

Same trend with the province of B.C. which started off at the top of the list with hundreds of more cases than any other province when this whole thing started to ramp up a few weeks ago.  They've now fallen from the top spot into #4 spot with 25 new cases today for a total of 1,291 total cases to date.  Definitely looking a lot better as B.C. appears to be flattening the curve now with cases either staying the same or dropping every day for the past week or so.  Definitely a lot better than Ontario which is now almost 4 times a high as BC, even though they apparently have done the lowest amount of provincial testing by far on a per capita basis, with both Alberta nd B.C. running at the top of the charts for this indicator.  Sad to say, definitely a whole lot better than those fun-loving and wild party animal French Canadiens in the out of control province of Quebec who are now more than 7X higher than B.C. with something like 9,340 total cases to date and still rising substantially on a daily basis.  :sick: :sick: :(

It was the Canadians.  No doubt about it. 

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yes, it was those 2 nasty Chinese spies who stole it from a Canadian lab and in their rush to bring it back to their virology lab in Wuhan, ended up........oops....big big oops.......dropping it on the floor of their lab in all their excitement at having just stolen the perfect biological weapon.  :whee:  :juggle:  :fear:

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
24 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yes, it was those 2 nasty Chinese spies who stole it from a Canadian lab and in their rush to bring it back to their virology lab in Wuhan, ended up........oops....big big oops.......dropping it on the floor of their lab in all their excitement at having just stolen the perfect biological weapon.  :whee:  :juggle:  :fear:

At least you admit it.  First step..., and all that.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:41 PM, NewWorldOrder said:
On 4/5/2020 at 8:03 PM, Robot Man said:

God bless him. He is a calm, honest voice of reason in this hurricane of misery. He is doing what ever it takes. Rough job but it is making a little difference here I hope.

Yes I am sure the thousands of people that are and soon to be jobless in California thank him.  :smirk:

He left SF in great shape.   I am surprised the homeless in SF really didn't cause Corona.   Those streets are more 3rd world now than in some of the poorest South American cities.   But hey at least the people who invented the poop app are making SF citizens very proud. :banana:

You think it's bad in CA? Check out the situation in Florida particularly south Florida. There was a near riot today at a library in Miami where local officials were handing out forms to apply for unemployment benefits. People had to risk their own health to stand in a looooong crowded line around the building for hours & hours. Google it if you want. The state unemployment website crashed from being overloaded weeks ago and no one can get through on the phone. This here is what poor leadership looks like not California. This state is a basket case!

16 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

This state is a basket case!

Why, was Florida another one of the states that wasted invaluable weeks laying on the nice sunny beaches with their fingers up their butt instead of preparing for the Coronavirus, based upon the assumption that it would never ever hit their shores?  hm  doh!

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why, was Florida another one of the states that wasted invaluable weeks laying on the nice sunny beaches with their fingers up their butt instead of preparing for the Coronavirus, based upon the assumption that it would never ever hit their shores?  hm  doh!

Affirmative!