• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I'm not going to pretend that things are great but statistics need context.

JP Morgan just came out today, forecasting the economy is going to contract by 40% and unemployment will reach 20%.  We will see if anybody cares about that blurb on Monday.  If it's true, then how do we not see the Market drop again? 

11 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
11 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Nah, just re-read all of them.  Way better than burning them. 

What would I do with all the broken plastic?(slabs)

lol

image.thumb.png.ffeab64eec8bfbaccc0e27322f10a9b6.png

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

JP Morgan just came out today, forecasting the economy is going to contract by 40% and unemployment will reach 20%.  We will see if anybody cares about that blurb on Monday.  If it's true, then how do we not see the Market drop again? 

They don't want to be the ones with to have rosey predictions if things get worse. 

Slim pickings in the next CLink auction.  I wonder how many buyers told Clink to pull their books?  Usually there are almost 15-20 pages of listings for original art.  This month there are 6.  The sessions were divided into two as well with the first containing 4 pages of listings and the other session containing 2 pages of listings.  

Very strong chance CLink held back this session or their consigners asked them to.

Edited by Buzzetta

On 4/8/2020 at 4:58 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

Saw a particular book that was 11hrs left on auction, it was at $105.00.

I thought I had a chance on it, but only for a couple hundred more.

So I kept my eye on it....literally in the last ten seconds the auction increased by $300...collectibles have yet to see the effect of Covid19 IMO.

So, from your comment and surprise here, I guess you've never participated in a CC Event Auction before then.  hm

With most of their auction lots, the real action doesn't start until the last few seconds and then the bids for hot items such as the HTF books or classic cover books usually goes into overdrive from that point on with the 3-minute extended bidding time periods kicking in until there's no more bids coming in.  :flipbait:

12 hours ago, romanheart said:
20 hours ago, the blob said:

The stock market is doing ok this week

Stocks are inflated by QE and money printing. Almost everything is being thrown at it to keep from sinking. It's not a market I trust frankly. It reacts to any bit of news that frankly isn't news.

Yes, just wait until the quarterlies come out along with the real bad negative guidance going forward for the coming quarters considering that most buisnesses are still shuttered down with still no real light at the end of the tunnel for when they will be opened back up again.  :tonofbricks:

Although I would love to be wrong here, I definitely don't see a quick V-shaped bottom like what the current stock market valuations seem to be hinting at.  hm  :(

18 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I personally lost my job over Covid19 but I'd rather burn my books before I resort to selling them for less then they are worth, and that is just my opinion.

Sorry to hear that you lost your job over this whole Covid-19 fiasco.............hope it's just temporary and you'll get hired back once everything opens back up. :wishluck:

Although you will not be selling given even your current employment (or lack of it :() situation, I imagine you will ,ost likely not be bidding to buy as many (or even any at all) books as you have before in the past.  hm

If so, and since this is a comic book marketplace that's affected by supply and demand in the determination of prices, it should be noted that demand would definitely be going down in this case if you and others who are also now sadly joining the unemployment rolls decide to pull back from their usual bidding on books.  :frown:

I just got a Make Offer to Owner via Heritage on a book I bought in late 2018. 47.8% more than what I paid according to the email, a pretty strong result. 

It surprised the hell out of me and I'm tempted to accept to bolster funds for future purchases, but I'm wary.

Has anyone flipped a purchase this way? Any unforeseen risk? Thanks in advance. 

21 hours ago, the blob said:

nyc has a subway and bus system that might as well be an incubation chamber. I was frigging terrified on the subway until March 16... The last day I commuted. And of course March 16 I had to get in by 9, so I was on a crowded train. With that said, new cases probably post date when a lot of folks would have started staying home. I could still fall ill from a 3/16 exposure, but it's unlikely. More likely I get sick from a grocery run. Dropping stuff off for my mother at a nursing home was scarey.

Oh yeah the NYC subway needs a month of spraying down thats for sure!  LA just announced they are extending lockdown till 5-15-20 and already got the email from Universal Studios both CA/FL parks will be closed till 5/31/20.  I am still optimistic corporate America and other non-essential workers can at some point in May go back to work.  That is more important to the country than me watching MLB or going to a dive bar. 

I hope you, and especially your mom stay safe!   :foryou:

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sorry to hear that you lost your job over this whole Covid-19 fiasco.............hope it's just temporary and you'll get hired back once everything opens back up. :wishluck:

Although you will not be selling given even your current employment (or lack of it :() situation, I imagine you will ,ost likely not be bidding to buy as many (or even any at all) books as you have before in the past.  hm

If so, and since this is a comic book marketplace that's affected by supply and demand in the determination of prices, it should be noted that demand would definitely be going down in this case if you and others who are also now sadly joining the unemployment rolls decide to pull back from their usual bidding on books.  :frown:

I’ve been pushed to reduced hours and many family and friend have also fallen the same fate I’m trying to help them out so my demand and buying of comics has dried up in the last month and I don’t think I’ll be buying for awhile till I can stabilize and have my close family stabilize as well rent groceries and bills unfortunately come due... and I was starting to shop for a x men1... maybe next year... 

again hope everyone staying safe 

I thought there were some decent deals at HA today...I bought ST126 8.0 but decent buy on Detective 359 and maybe the Submariner 1s. I had not really seen great deals on things I am interested in but this week was a little down in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

I thought there were some decent deals at HA today...I bought ST126 8.0 but decent buy on Detective 359 and maybe the Submariner 1s. I had not really seen great deals on things I am interested in but this week was a little down in my opinion. 

Nice buy!  I was watching that one too, I have a 7.0 and 9.0 already though I didn't want to get carried away.  Good price on that one.  Had my 7.0 up for $320 shipped, no bids. no surprise but no reason for me to sell it with Dormammu hopefully having a much bigger role in the next film.

Edited by 90sChild

3 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Nice buy!  I was watching that one too, I have a 7.0 and 9.0 already though I didn't want to get carried away.  Good price on that one.

I have 2 low grade raw and 6.5 and 7.0 myself. I do not have a ST110 so I seem to be getting these as some sort of consolation prize!

On 4/5/2020 at 7:40 PM, NewWorldOrder said:
On 4/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, sfcityduck said:

I think you mean tens of thousands or many more.  The economic devastation, worldwide, from this crisis is unprecedented.  We'll bounce back, but a lot of people will suffer.  I already know people who have lost their jobs (at least until their employers re-open).   But, if Pesident Trump is right that we are now facing 100,000 to 250,000 deaths, on a good result, than I can't fault any governor for trying to save lives.  

Again the real question is at what point will the economic lives be worse than the cost of saving CV lives.  Not a fun topic, but still the truth none the less.

Well, highly doubt that the death count will be as high as 100K to 250K since every model that I have seen, whether it be for another country or another province in Canada always seems to assume the worst and the numbers look so high that they are almost unbelieveable.  On second thought, 100,000 deaths might just be possible for the U.S. by the time it's all said and done based upon the rate it's going, but I certainly hope not.  :wishluck:

Not sure how accurate the counts are from the WHO database since they only started capturing cases and deaths starting from January 20th or thereabouts which was well after the virus had long already started.  Nevertheless, I certainly wished the Western countries had responded to the virus as fast as some of China's neighbouring densely populated countries since some of their WHO reported death counts are still only in the low single digits as they reacted immediately with mandatory masking of their population, testing for travellers coming from China, and contact tracing as soon as they first heard rumours of this virus back in December.  I guess past practice also helped here since they've definitely had previous bad experiences with viruses coming out from China in the past before, so kudos to them for knowing what to do right away instead of wasting countless months and still arguing about the pros and cons of masking.  :screwy:   The best part about this proactive strategy is that they don't have to suffer through the massive and widespread kind of lockdown which we now have to endure whereby we can't even go to our favorite LCS or attend our usual comic convention to hunt for our books.  :(

I assume knowledge of this virus must have been out there late last year and it really just depended upon how each nation or jurisdiction responded to the news and how long they waited before deciding to take action to address it.  I was watching the news on the weekend and it looked like the province of Alberta was definitely on the ball as they apparently started ordering PPE supplies way back in late November and early December when they first heard the rumours of the virus.  Definitely a proactive move on their part which is going to help the rest of the country out as they are now sitting there with 9 massive warehouses stuffed full of PPE supplies which they are just about to ship in the millions to provinces like Ontario and Quebec as they appear to be the epicenter for Canada.  I guess it's always good to share with your fellow citizens to save lives across the entire country, especilly when your province has weeks of excess supplies and yet has somehere in the range of only 50 Covid-19 hospitalization cases with only 13 of these being ICU cases.  Now, that's called being well-prepared!!! :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/10/2020 at 10:06 PM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I just got a Make Offer to Owner via Heritage on a book I bought in late 2018. 47.8% more than what I paid according to the email, a pretty strong result. 

It surprised the hell out of me and I'm tempted to accept to bolster funds for future purchases, but I'm wary.

Has anyone flipped a purchase this way? Any unforeseen risk? Thanks in advance. 

Was this Make Offer to Owner option a feature that you specifically requested to be set up for you from Heritage or just an option that's automatically given to all buyers?  ???

Yes, a return of 47.8% for just over a year sure sounds good, but definitely not as good as this one here for the Billy Wright copy of All-Star 3:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Brought by the buyer for $49K+ back in 2012 and then sold a fast and short week later for $200K to our comic book embezzler at Tadano America Corporation.  (tsk)  

:takeit:  the money, that is!!!  :flipbait:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, highly doubt that the death count will be as high as 100K to 250K since every model that I have seen, whether it be for another country or another province in Canada always seems to assume the worst and the numbers look so high that they are almost unbelieveable.  On second thought, 100,000 deaths might just be possible for the U.S. by the time it's all said and done based upon the rate it's going, but I certainly hope not.  :wishluck:

Not sure how accurate the counts are from the WHO database since they only started capturing cases and deaths starting from January 20th or thereabouts which was well after the virus had long already started.  Nevertheless, I certainly wished the Western countries had responded to the virus as fast as some of China's neighbouring densely populated countries since some of their WHO reported death counts are still only in the low single digits as they reacted immediately with mandatory masking of their population, testing for travellers coming from China, and contact tracing as soon as they first heard rumours of this virus back in December.  I guess past practice also helped here since they've definitely had previous bad experiences with viruses coming out from China in the past before, so kudos to them for knowing what to do right away instead of wasting countless months and still arguing about the pros and cons of masking.  :screwy:   The best part about this proactive strategy is that they don't have to suffer through the massive and widespread kind of lockdown which we now have to endure whereby we can't even go to our favorite LCS or attend our usual comic convention to hunt for our books.  :(

I assume knowledge of this virus must have been out there late last year and it really just depended upon how each nation or jurisdiction responded to the news and how long they waited before deciding to take action to address it.  I was watching the news on the weekend and it looked like the province of Alberta was definitely on the ball as they apparently started ordering PPE supplies way back in late November and early December when they first heard the rumours of the virus.  Definitely a proactive move on their part which is going to help the rest of the country out as they are now sitting there with 9 massive warehouses stuffed full of PPE supplies which they are just about to ship in the millions to provinces like Ontario and Quebec as they appear to be the epicenter for Canada.  I guess it's always good to share with your fellow citizens to save lives across the entire country, especilly when your province has weeks of excess supplies and yet has somehere in the range of only 50 Covid-19 hospitalization cases with only 13 of these being ICU cases.  Now, that's called being well-prepared!!! :applause:

Deaths in NYC are likely undercounted by 20-30%. If paramedics pick up a body of someone who had not previously tested positive it is not counted. The # of random dead bodies picked up is up 800%. Like an extra 150 a day. They are not testing dead people.

Edited by the blob

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

Deaths in NYC are likely undercounted by 20-30%. If paramedics pick up a body of someone who had not previously tested positive it is not counted. The # of random dead bodies picked up is up 800%. Like an extra 150 a day. They are not testing dead people.

Definitely not a place I would want to be right now, although I was on the deadly Diamond Princess for about 10 days cruising around Japan back only in October of this past year.  Absolutely loved the Japanese style toilets they had on the ship as they certainly kept you clean down there.  lol

No, I think I'll try to ride this out in the original epicenter for this virus in Canada (i.e. namely B.C.) as it seems much safer with the curve for new cases seemingly flattening out between 20 to 45 new cases per day now for the past dozen days or so, with a total of 1,490 cases to date and something like 69 deaths in total. :(

Definitely a lot more free time to check out the comic book auctions, but haven't really seen too much out there that gets my trigger finger going yet, as compared to previous auctions during the past few years.  I guess I'll just have to be a bit more patient toi see what comes along because Mitch keeps telling all of us here that there's going to be a ton of quality books coming out due to this current economic downfall we are experiencing.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/4/2020 at 1:58 PM, Bird said:

I have been watching the Heritage auctions for the past three weeks and books I was interested in definitely did not go for great discounts and many really stunned me with the strong performance. You would think that the auctions will have some nice lower prices but not on the things I was watching. 

They may have gone to the in-house shill.

I don't believe anything on Heritage

On 4/5/2020 at 12:02 PM, Foolkiller said:

the manner in which we've been living may not be sustainable across the board.  I

I don't know where you are living, but it has been tent city under the over-passes here for several years.

So yes, I think that is sadly sustainable.