• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Was this Make Offer to Owner option a feature that you specifically requested to be set up for you from Heritage or just an option that's automatically given to all buyers?  ???

Yes, a return of 47.8% for just over a year sure sounds good, but definitely not as good as this one here for the Billy Wright copy of All-Star 3:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Brought by the buyer for $49K+ back in 2012 and then sold a fast and short week later for $200K to our comic book embezzler at Tadano America Corporation.  (tsk)  

:takeit:  the money, that is!!!  

Hah I had no idea about this.. looks like the evidence collectors took a few books for their own, too.

https://www.equipmentworld.com/tadano-america-comic-book-embezzler-named-one-of-top-10-costliest-frauds/

On 4/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes I am sure the thousands of people that are and soon to be jobless in California thank him.  :smirk:

He left SF in great shape.   I am surprised the homeless in SF really didn't cause Corona.   Those streets are more 3rd world now than in some of the poorest South American cities.   But hey at least the people who invented the poop app are making SF citizens very proud. :banana:

Third world countries don't have million dollar condo's

Real estate inflation caused homelessness.

But a booming middle and upper class will do that.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:38 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I am still frustrated that an amazing city like SF has gone so downhill.  Talking pre corona now.

It is a free country no?

If people want to pay millions for a home on a fault line you would do what?  

Ban real estate free market?

On 4/6/2020 at 8:04 PM, bb8 said:

Population density in New York is far, FAR greater than SF. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The virus is widely believed to have come out of China.

There is far greater trade and travel from China on the west coast.

Yes apples and oranges.

One city was very quick to react , one was not. One state was quick to react, others were not.

The results show California was right and it's leadership was better than others.

41 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

The virus is widely believed to have come out of China.

There is far greater trade and travel from China on the west coast.

Yes apples and oranges.

One city was very quick to react , one was not. One state was quick to react, others were not.

The results show California was right and it's leadership was better than others.

I don’t believe for one second that China has been at all forthcoming about their statistics.

21 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I don’t believe for one second that China has been at all forthcoming about their statistics.

Agree 100%

This thing was going around California earlier than China was reporting the outbreak.

yeah, i wonder what the auction houses know and don't know and/or pretend they don't know. someone posted that in this thread about not trusting some auction house. i guess it would be illegal if an auction house manipulated an auction and when things are not legal I trust my fellow humans not to engage in that activity. See, I believe.

Anywho....I put in a large bid on some comic I wanted at an auction house and walked away and did something else and just let it ride. I won. For somewhat less than my bid, so if there was some shilling or other tomfollery wouldn't it have ridden up to my bid top $?

What do I know? I'm thinking about selling my comic collection and buying more TVs. One for every room.  I really like all that I'm seeing now that I'm watching a bit more of it. Well, a lot more of it. On Maury today there was a woman who didn't know who her baby's father was, you see. This was the 17th time she had been on the show to test the DNA of who she thought was the father - this time. This guy wasn't the father either so she has to figure out  who he is. The next woman that came on the show to figure out the father of her child, well, the DNA tests proved her theory to be correct. The father promised to be a good dad and I feel things are ok now. 

51 minutes ago, NoMan said:

yeah, i wonder what the auction houses know and don't know and/or pretend they don't know. someone posted that in this thread about not trusting some auction house. i guess it would be illegal if an auction house manipulated an auction and when things are not legal I trust my fellow humans not to engage in that activity. See, I believe.

I think the reference to Heritage is that shilling is legal in Texas, but I might be wrong.

13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I think the reference to Heritage is that shilling is legal in Texas, but I might be wrong.

I think they call it chandelier bids because the auctioneer just looks at the chandelier and adds a bid!

On 4/7/2020 at 11:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Why, was Florida another one of the states that wasted invaluable weeks laying on the nice sunny beaches with their fingers up their butt instead of preparing for the Coronavirus, based upon the assumption that it would never ever hit their shores?  hm  doh!

I was thinking about this same thing too about California, but was surprised it was the exact opposite and majority if not all actually listened and stayed home

6 hours ago, bb8 said:

Actually, I'd read that China now admitted to not reporting asymptomatic cases and some other stuff.

But that might just be a smoke screen for poor reporting in general or fudging the numbers. I'll bet their actual numbers are multiples of what they show as their official numbers.

There were reports a few weeks ago of as many as 40,000 urns being delivered to funeral services. A far cry from the 3000 or so officially listed as passed away.

49 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
7 hours ago, bb8 said:

Actually, I'd read that China now admitted to not reporting asymptomatic cases and some other stuff.

But that might just be a smoke screen for poor reporting in general or fudging the numbers. I'll bet their actual numbers are multiples of what they show as their official numbers.

There were reports a few weeks ago of as many as 40,000 urns being delivered to funeral services. A far cry from the 3000 or so officially listed as passed away.

One odd thing I heard last night on the "news" was that smoker's had some type of immunity.  If that is truly the case, that might be why China's case reporting is so low.

I bought some Winstons today, just in case...., lol

In comic related news, I think this perspective means there's not going to be any shows in CA for some time to come.  Not SDCC, not Wonder Con, not Dolmayan's show.  None of them.  Now in other states -- maybe it will be different, but given that a number of the governors have decided to form a coalition about formulating a plan to reopen, I think this is a good indication about what's going to happen.  This is not gloom and doom.  This is learning how to plan in reality.  No more shows this year.  Now -- things like the VCC seem like a great idea and could be done on a dedicated platform.  

"The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity, and we get to a vaccine. So large-scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers all together across every conceivable difference, health and otherwise, is not in the cards based upon our current guidelines and current expectations," Newsom said.

26 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

One odd thing I heard last night on the "news" was that smoker's had some type of immunity.  If that is truly the case, that might be why China's case reporting is so low.

I bought some Winstons today, just in case...., lol

I have not heard anything about smokers having any immunity, they are probably more as risk if anything.  Older people, people will immune issues and obese people are most at risk and the numbers from China are completely unreliable.