• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, First Edition
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I know that this is not comics related, but Stephen King has written some comics ....

I have a first edition copy of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger by Stephen King. I've checked with online pictures, and I have no doubt that it is a first edition. I have absolutely no idea of how to grade a book. It still has the dust jacket. This book has sat on my bookshelf for almost 38 years, and I have never read it. I acutally listened to this book on CD. I got no enjoyment from it, and I have never bought/read any of the subsequent books in the series. Considering that Stephen King is one of my favorite authors, this is quite unusual. I would rather sell it and use the proceeds to buy a comic book rather than keep it.

Does anyone know of a venue where I could sell this, other than Ebay? I have purchased comics on Ebay, but I haven't sold anything there for many, many years. And each time I read another Ebay horror story, it pushes me closer to never using the site again.

Any advice you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Joe Ankenbauer

Actually I think you could take some nice pictures and sell it here on the boards in the for sale ‘mixed’ section.  

You said you looked at pictures online to identify it as the first edition. Did you verify the book measures 6.2" x 9.25" x 1.0", states FIRST EDITION on the copyright page, is bound in maroon cloth and are there color pictorials on the end papers? Also the dust jacket will have a $20 price.

8 hours ago, Vintage_Paper said:

You said you looked at pictures online to identify it as the first edition. Did you verify the book measures 6.2" x 9.25" x 1.0", states FIRST EDITION on the copyright page, is bound in maroon cloth and are there color pictorials on the end papers? Also the dust jacket will have a $20 price.

It measured 9.25" x 6.25" x 1". It was slightly less than 6.25". My wife cut off the pricing on the inside front of the dust jacket; it was a gift, and she didn't want me to know the price. All four corners on the dust jacket have some general wear. The top of the dust jacket has some rippling. There is a corner bend on the right-hand front of the dust jacket. On the book itself, there is a splotch and slight discoloration on the front cover and there is some slight discoloration on the back cover.

As I stated in my original post, I have no idea of how to grade this book. It's clearly not mint, but fine? good? poor? I don't know.

Please look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

20200404_100541.jpg

20200404_100555.jpg

20200404_100606.jpg

20200404_100627.jpg

20200404_101818.jpg

20200404_101831.jpg

20200404_101834.jpg

20200404_101842.jpg

20200404_101846.jpg

20200404_101902.jpg

20200404_102455.jpg

20200404_102503.jpg

20200404_102758.jpg

20200404_102806.jpg

20200404_102817.jpg

20200404_102822.jpg

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

5 hours ago, picon3 said:

http://www.bettsbooks.com/w95020ai.html

One of the premiere online Stephen King book buyers and sellers.  

Paul

I got an email from Dave Williamson of Betts Books.Dave did verify that it was a first edition, and he said that the book was in Near Fine with a Near Fine- dust jacket. Dave said the approximate retail value is $700, and he offered me $560. I looked on eBay to check prices (yes, I checked in the Sold category), and I saw prices from $900 - $1100. I think I will take the advice of @revat and try to sell it to a board member in the Mixed section. I will first have to check out if other books are listed in the Mixed section.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:18 PM, Motor City Rob said:

My opinion is to sell on ebay. Great seller protection. You can also try Facebook Marketplace or Instagram, but I dont have much experience with those. You could try a phone app like Offerup. Or, as a last resort, there's always craigslist.

That book is pretty valuable. Good luck. Hope you make a sale!

@Motor City Rob , I appreciate your advice. However, I have been researching selling it on eBay, and all I read about is that buyers have all the power. If a buyer claims the "item was not as described", then you, as a seller, have virtually no choice but to refund the money. In fact, I read that people sell items, the buyer decides it's not good enough, and then the buyer returns it the seller in worse condition than when you sent it.

If you could provide me some additional information on the protections for sellers on eBay, I would really appreciate it if you could share it with me.

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

On 4/4/2020 at 2:23 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I got an email from Dave Williamson of Betts Books.Dave did verify that it was a first edition, and he said that the book was in Near Fine with a Near Fine- dust jacket. Dave said the approximate retail value is $700, and he offered me $560. I looked on eBay to check prices (yes, I checked in the Sold category), and I saw prices from $900 - $1100. I think I will take the advice of @revat and try to sell it to a board member in the Mixed section. I will first have to check out if other books are listed in the Mixed section.

Remember you still have to pay eBay 10% seller's fee. Also some eBay buyers can be sleazy to screw you up.  eBay intends to protect the buyers more than the sellers. You have to fight with them through mud. Dave may pay you the shipping cost and you don't have to pay any fees. You can counteroffer him.  It's not hurting to try it.   It's cool to see that you have the first edition.  I don't see it with the dust jacket often.

Edited by JollyComics