• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics General - Stuck in the House: AMA Buzzetta
5 5

486 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Chazgee said:

@Buzzetta

What's your favorite cut of steak?

Favorite wine?

Favorite whiskey?

DESSERT: Rocco's or Ferrara's?

Dessert - Roccos of the West Village?  I love that place... that was and still sometimes is my go to spot after a night of wings at Down the Hatch or Off the Wagon.   However, nothing says sit down date night like Ferraras.  

Whiskey... currently Glenlivet and Macallan... I am not too particular there... I have a bottle of each buried in the back cabinet. 

Wine... right now there are about 25 different bottles of wine around the house at all times... in various places around the kitchen... utilizing the cabinet, a wine rack on a center preparation table and the wine rack near the kitchen outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed  Not going crazy with the whine... I don't believe you have to spend crazy amounts and can find decent wines in the $15-$20 range.  I have a lot of different things but never got into the wine thing as seriously as a couple of others... 

Cut of steak... depends on what you are doing with the steak.   Skirt steak is a favorite recently... seem to be buying a lot of that.  It marinates and cooks well and cuts well if you are using the steak for other dishes. 

17 minutes ago, slym2none said:

1) This is Buzz's thread
2) there is no wrong answer

(:

-slym

Mary Anne... I think the whole cast agreed that Ginger was full of herself. 

Edited by Buzzetta

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

First question that came to mind when I saw the thread title - how did you steal Mr. Clark’s gig hosting the American Music Awards?

Stole it from Seacrest.  That guy can give up a job or two. 

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Dessert - Roccos of the West Village?  I love that place... that was and still sometimes is my go to spot after a night of wings at Down the Hatch or Off the Wagon.   However, nothing says sit down date night like Ferraras.  

Whiskey... currently Glenlivet and Macallan... I am not too particular there... I have a bottle of each buried in the back cabinet. 

Wine... right now there are about 25 different bottles of wine around the house at all times... in various places around the kitchen... utilizing the cabinet, a wine rack on a center preparation table and the wine rack near the kitchen outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed  Not going crazy with the whine... I don't believe you have to spend crazy amounts and can find decent wines in the $15-$20 range.  I have a lot of different things but never got into the wine thing as seriously as a couple of others... 

Cut of steak... depends on what you are doing with the steak.   Skirt steak is a favorite recently... seem to be buying a lot of that.  It marinates and cooks well and cuts well if you are using the steak for other dishes. 

Wow, I haven't been to Down the Hatch since the 90s, fun place.

Ferraras & Roccos are equally awesome. Personal favs cannoli @ Roccos and the ricotta cheesecake @ Ferraras.

Ever eaten the Strip House on 12th Street?  Excellent, and great service.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

It's known I have three copies.  Probably this one is the most meaningful. This is the one I scrimped and saved to get and bought as I was in college.  I might have been 19 when I bought this. 

Now... the story behind it is that I purchased it raw from this guy who was setting up tables at the old Rockville Centre Holiday Inn shows on Long Island.  Back then people were passing restored books off left and right as the real thing.  I had no idea what any of that was until the guy that sold it to me wanted to point out that it was untouched and no one had used any marker on it or anything.  I did not know what that meant but I was listening.

What I was most impressed with was that this guy didn't treat me as a kid and treated me as a serious buyer.  Other vendors did not.  So I bought this from him.

The guy who I bought this from?  Vincent Zurzolo before there was a Metropolis Comics. 

Currently sitting in a 1.8... I never had it pressed.   This is my keeper AF15 not because it was the lowest grade of the three but because this one I really worked for. 

AF15cgc18a.jpg

AF15cgc18b.jpg

That is an awesome story... thanks for sharing. I wish I did not stop buying SA when I was in college and after. 

Just now, Chazgee said:

Wow, I haven't been to Down the Hatch since the 90s, fun place.

Ferraras & Roccos are equally awesome. Personal favs cannoli @ Roccos and the ricotta cheesecake @ Ferraras.

Ever eaten the Strip House on 12th Street?  Excellent, and great service.

Never been to Strip House... will throw that on the list. 

Ever go to Fortunato's on Manhattan and Devoe in Williamsburg? 

BTW @jaybuck43 Good old school italian in Williamsburg is Bamonte's  Better old school Italian in Williamsburg is Frost Street. 

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Follow-up question having nothing to do with the first - ever feel like your AF 15 got shortchanged with a 1.8?  Minimum 2.5 imho from the photos after 4ish sodas. 

maybe... I think it hits a 2.0... maaaaybe... 

I am more scared it goes to a 1.5... The spine probably hammered it.  I know there is pencil writing on the inside title page of one of the backup stories... I think it was 50+50 = 100 if I remember correctly. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Never been to Strip House... will throw that on the list. 

Ever go to Fortunato's on Manhattan and Devoe in Williamsburg? 

BTW @jaybuck43 Good old school italian in Williamsburg is Bamonte's  Better old school Italian in Williamsburg is Frost Street. 

I'm never in Brooklyn. I really should venture out more. Getting boring in my old age. 

I'll put that on my list for post shutdown dining.

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Great place... I haven't been in probably 2/3 years but we would go late night from Jersey until way past last call! Good times.

A group of friends and I last went to a Sunday football thing there.  It was a decent enough deal to get us back into the city since between most of my friends and I, we already have LIRR train passes or get to ride for free.   

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Follow-up question having nothing to do with the first - ever feel like your AF 15 got shortchanged with a 1.8?  Minimum 2.5 imho from the photos after 4ish sodas. 

Actually Follow Up response... this is the book I truly feel was shortchanged... 

I picked this up in 2010 I believe at NYCC. 

As @PeteFromPetesBasement said when he saw it in person... (Pete rarely stops by) "Why is that not a 4.0?  Whose blank would you have had to blank to get a 4.0?"

AF15cgc35a.jpg

AF15cgc35b.jpg

3 minutes ago, greggy said:

If Joey and I ever go back to the Reed show at Javits, who would get the bigger hug?

Asking for a friend.

xoxo

greggy

lol 

You do. 

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

SO many collectors right in the tri- state area.. I always wonder when I pass people from these boards at a show or something and have no Idea lol

I sneak on by.  I am usually hoodie, jeans, non comic t shirt and a Yankee hat.