• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics General - Stuck in the House: AMA Buzzetta
5 5

486 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I sneak on by.  I am usually hoodie, jeans, non comic t shirt and a Yankee hat. 

I am a blender too... I can not wait until I realize someone I like on the boards I do not like in real life or vice a versa when I put 2 and 2 together lol

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Actually Follow Up response... this is the book I truly feel was shortchanged... 

I picked this up in 2010 I believe at NYCC. 

As @PeteFromPetesBasement said when he saw it in person... (Pete rarely stops by) "Why is that not a 4.0?  Whose blank would you have had to blank to get a 4.0?"

AF15cgc35a.jpg

AF15cgc35b.jpg

They definitely got angry at that piece out of the back cover.  ¬¬

18 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Presents very well though.  I picked this up from Gator at the show. 

Oh absolutely it does.  Despite the Gold vs. Silver dichotomy, my Batman 23 has an even bigger piece out of the front cover and it got a 4.0.  Your 15 definitely has an argument.  Next time write “Gator” on the invoice maybe (thumbsu

Last year at WW Chicago was the first time I met him, wanted to give him money just for looking at the books.  But I did buy a Batman 232.  Which me, Rick, and CGC graded an 8.0 :banana:

8 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

SO many collectors right in the tri- state area.. I always wonder when I pass people from these boards at a show or something and have no Idea lol

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I sneak on by.  I am usually hoodie, jeans, non comic t shirt and a Yankee hat. 

You didn't fool me at NYCC  :preach:

1 hour ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Here is a question. How did you getting into selling jewelry? I saw you have a lot of listings on eBay right now. 

Ha - I will keep this going at least throughout Saturday... then I might nominate a couple of people to do their own. 

Fair question and one that I did not actually consider would be asked. 

It is a mix of things.  Some was originally another family member's. Some still is another family members.   At one point they were giving it away and one family member was simply storing it in their attic.  That was kind of ridiculous to me.   I originally offered to consign it for the relative and all they had to do was take care of the fees.  Now it has come to my operating a couple of eBay handles depending on who gets what.   

What is more interesting is that I can honestly say that I am single handedly changing the collecting market for the collectors of those pieces.   Every collecting base has its own mindset.  For example when it comes to comics, if we replace the staples on a comic we consider it restored.  If you replace the tires on a car it is not considered as invasive since they have to be replaced.  When it comes to the collecting market for that jewelry they believe that once the design is discounted to move the remainder of the stock that the reduced price is the new established 'value'.  With comics we understand that once something is no longer in production that if there is a resurgence in demand for that item down the road that a premium will be added. 

So... I will get messages from that collecting base telling me, "That the piece was clearanced out a year ago at $X... why are you charging $Y for it?  That's not fair."

Well, if I am the only one that seems to be offering that piece and there is a demand for it, they will pay the premium.  They should have bought it for $50 when they had the opportunity.    As time moves on eventually I get what I am looking for.  

Another board member taught me early on that eventually everything sells and if you have a day job that pays the bills that it does not matter when the other stuff actually sells... 

Edited by Buzzetta

25 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Good Morning 

Will you be watching any movies today?

And have you been watching any since isolation began?

Not really... been bogged down with work.  In the early stages of this I recognized that there would be artificially created shortages and started stocking up.  The idea was that I could either stand against the hurricane or I could shelter in.  I was very busy stocking things up so did not have to be in the stores.    This was a good thing as I was definitely exposed to this at work. 

Since I’ve been home and have been working all day, I listed more things on eBay, Facebook and other forums and been trying to make the most of my time.  On the little off time I’ve had, I’ve been doing some household projects like cleaning things out.  I don’t watch a lot of TV and movies as it is.  I only have one TV in the house, two if you count the one in the basement that goes on once in awhile as I am doing something with LEGO. 

Caught up on Clone Wars, This is Us, Chicago PD, Fire and Law and Order...  Only movies I’ve seen is Hobbes and Shaw and I’m almost done with Manchester by the Sea.

i just found out that this was placed on Disney+ though.  

oh there has been a LOT of concerts played in the house.  My music collection is vast.  

8FFDE2E9-D4AD-47D7-B839-B355D3C2DB91.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Not really... been bogged down with work.  In the early stages of this I recognized that there would be artificially created shortages and started stocking up.  The idea was that I could either stand against the hurricane or I could shelter in.  I was very busy stocking things up so did not have to be in the stores.    This was a good thing as I was definitely exposed to this at work. 

Since I’ve been home and have been working all day, I listed more things on eBay, Facebook and other forums and been trying to make the most of my time.  On the little off time I’ve had, I’ve been doing some household projects like cleaning things out.  I don’t watch a lot of TV and movies as it is.  I only have one TV in the house, two if you count the one in the basement that goes on once in awhile as I am doing something with LEGO. 

Caught up on Clone Wars, This is Us, Chicago PD, Fire and Law and Order...  Only movies I’ve seen is Hobbes and Shaw and I’m almost done with Manchester by the Sea.

i just found out that this was placed on Disney+ though.  

oh there has been a LOT of concerts played in the house.  My music collection is vast.  

8FFDE2E9-D4AD-47D7-B839-B355D3C2DB91.jpeg

My wife's associate friends at CCAD (Columbia College of Art and Design) - Nathan Greno and Dan Scanlon.

Dan directed Onward and Monsters U and Nathan is an artist but he directed Tangled.

Nathan Greno signed his comic book for me after my wife's request.

Here is the comic book:

269816476_Grenocardboard.thumb.jpg.f2498b287e58f2d9d6fc2c5377211b62.jpgStarWarsGreno.thumb.jpg.92a3a42e2b2e4b62522097a4c678f23a.jpg

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

My wife's associate friends at CCAD (Columbia College of Art and Design) - Nathan Greno and Dan Scanlon.

Dan directed Onward and Monsters U and Nathan is an artist but he directed Tangled.

Nathan Greno signed his comic book for me after my wife's request.

Here is the comic book:

269816476_Grenocardboard.thumb.jpg.f2498b287e58f2d9d6fc2c5377211b62.jpgStarWarsGreno.thumb.jpg.92a3a42e2b2e4b62522097a4c678f23a.jpg

That's awesome actually.  The creative talent behind these films are beyond impressive.  I really am looking forward to watching this later. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

What is more interesting is that I can honestly say that I am single handedly changing the collecting market for the collectors of those pieces.   Every collecting base has its own mindset.  For example when it comes to comics, if we replace the staples on a comic we consider it restored.  If you replace the tires on a car it is not considered as invasive since they have to be replaced.  When it comes to the collecting market for that jewelry they believe that once the design is discounted to move the remainder of the stock that the reduced price is the new established 'value'.  With comics we understand that once something is no longer in production that if there is a resurgence in demand for that item down the road that a premium will be added. 

So... I will get messages from that collecting base telling me, "That the piece was clearanced out a year ago at $X... why are you charging $Y for it?  That's not fair."

Well, if I am the only one that seems to be offering that piece and there is a demand for it, they will pay the premium.  They should have bought it for $50 when they had the opportunity.    As time moves on eventually I get what I am looking for.  

Another board member taught me early on that eventually everything sells and if you have a day job that pays the bills that it does not matter when the other stuff actually sells... 

This is incredible.  
"I am charging this because the baseline assumptions in the collectible jewelry market are all incorrect".

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

My MaRoe passed away in 2016 at the age of 96... 

I am sad to say in some ways that I do not remember her best dish... 

But in other ways I am glad to say that.   I bought the house from my mom and my Aunt after she passed in a little bit of a bidding war with remaining family and a stone cold bluff of walking away from it at one point.   We all live in the area or at least my Aunt lives in Staten Island.   When my grandmother was alive for the last few years of her life my mom and dad and myself made sure she didn't really have to cook.  My parents cooked for her and I made sure on weekend to get take out for her.  I would sneak her Taco Bell (which even I do not eat) and I would get a sandwich or I would take out food from local restaurants.  Toward the end even, when she was at her worst at 96 when she would be discharged from the hospital she said she wanted to be left alone... Instead I would call her and tell her I was hungry and was going to get something to eat.  "Well as long as you are going out... and that would be nice."  I would offer her ice cream and she would immediately snap back to life and say I will see you in 15? 20? minutes lol 

Every time I am in my / her kitchen which I have remodeled I remember some of these pictures vividly...   She loved it when I would get her food and sit with her.  I would always snap a picture and send it to my mom and aunt who told me to let my grandmother get some rest.  Eventually they conceded that it was okay for me to bother her anytime I wanted. 

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_9538.JPG

Glad she lived a long and hopefully happy life Buzz. I lost my Nana last year at the ripe old age of 101. 

My question is about the black rocking chair she’s in in the first pic. Is it a Hitchcock? I grew up about 20 minutes from their factory. 

10 minutes ago, Foley said:

Glad she lived a long and hopefully happy life Buzz. I lost my Nana last year at the ripe old age of 101. 

My question is about the black rocking chair she’s in in the first pic. Is it a Hitchcock? I grew up about 20 minutes from their factory. 

Good eye... yes actually... 

When I bought the house, certain pieces of furniture came with it.  A few things were taken like certain cabinets... my mom has one in her house now and my Aunt has another.  My Aunt took the bedroom set.  However I kept the dining room table (to be replaced this year) and I have show pictures of the China giant wall sized china cabinet that now houses vintage toys from the early 1900's to current in my journal.    Things like the couch had to go as it looked like the couch you would see in the waiting room of a funeral parlor and it was much too small anyway.   Other things had to go as well... 

Before anyone knew anything about the house though... before anyone knew anything about who could get what I demanded one thing...  I wanted that chair as that was the chair that she sat in when we would get together and watch Yankee games, Jeopardy or sometimes have lunch or a snack that I would bring over.  I got that chair.  Some other people wanted it but my mom and aunt realized that I should get the chair. 

She loved the growing Lego city that I had in the basement and sometimes she would go down there to look it over.   (Another reason I wanted the house was because I was already storing a lot of stuff here lol)  When I redid the living room and replaced all the older furniture with country type stuff, I needed a new place for the chair.  It did not really fit and I also did not want anyone sitting in it and breaking it.  The chair is currently parked in the corner of the basement facing the growing Lego city.  I pulled it away from the wall and turned it around to take a picture. 

IMG_7299.jpeg

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

That's awesome actually.  The creative talent behind these films are beyond impressive.  I really am looking forward to watching this later. 

Based on Dan's inspirational experience, (also my wife told me about it and suggested me to quote the line from Wiki) In July 2017, Pixar announced a "suburban fantasy world" film at the D23 Expo, with Scanlon directing and Rae producing.The film's inspired by Scanlon's father's death when Scanlon and his brother were younger (he was only infant and his older brother was 3 years old), and their relationship. He decided to write the story after hearing an audio clip of his father (their mother and grandmother saved them for Dan and his brother). On December 12, 2018, the title was revealed.  In 2019, Headley and Bunin were hired to rewrite the screenplay.   He proposed his idea to his company and they accepted it unanimously.

Edited by JollyComics

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:
13 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Betty or Veronica?

Archie would find permanent happiness with Betty. 

Veronica is fun when you are in hs or college but would be too much drama later on.  

@comics4all :foryou:

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

My MaRoe passed away in 2016 at the age of 96... 

I am sad to say in some ways that I do not remember her best dish... 

But in other ways I am glad to say that.   I bought the house from my mom and my Aunt after she passed in a little bit of a bidding war with remaining family and a stone cold bluff of walking away from it at one point.   We all live in the area or at least my Aunt lives in Staten Island.   When my grandmother was alive for the last few years of her life my mom and dad and myself made sure she didn't really have to cook.  My parents cooked for her and I made sure on weekend to get take out for her.  I would sneak her Taco Bell (which even I do not eat) and I would get a sandwich or I would take out food from local restaurants.  Toward the end even, when she was at her worst at 96 when she would be discharged from the hospital she said she wanted to be left alone... Instead I would call her and tell her I was hungry and was going to get something to eat.  "Well as long as you are going out... and that would be nice."  I would offer her ice cream and she would immediately snap back to life and say I will see you in 15? 20? minutes lol 

Every time I am in my / her kitchen which I have remodeled I remember some of these pictures vividly...   She loved it when I would get her food and sit with her.  I would always snap a picture and send it to my mom and aunt who told me to let my grandmother get some rest.  Eventually they conceded that it was okay for me to bother her anytime I wanted. 

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_9538.JPG

My wife (again) wanted to share with you.  Her great-grandfather held his first great-granddaughter in his outdoor rocking chair on the porch. That picture was taken in 1978.

67739392_10157582636981979_5141253527519100928_n.jpg.68863fea241f0ca59fa42f6d2d067d06.jpg

He was passed away two years later after this picture. He was 92 years old.

My wife decided to keep his rocking chair before the farm land was auctioned off.

The chair was 100% restored. It was made of Birch (not highly quality wood but it was made locally). It survived on the porch mostly for 55 years.

Of course, we keep it indoor.

67356803_10157582637131979_2831599537989091328_o.thumb.jpg.b3746cee5f9e250577ded7675d67bf1d.jpg

14 hours ago, greggy said:

I already know your name so suck it.

My other question is how does Bobby Flay keep winning on "Beat Bobby Flay"?

xoxo

greggy

What does "it" mean when greggy says "suck it"????