• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics General - Stuck in the House: AMA Buzzetta
5 5

486 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, D84 said:

Since we are talking music, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?

I have seen Beatles Lite (McCartney)  

I have seen the Stones back in 97 at the Meadowlands.

Beatles win and McCartney is still the best I have ever seen. 

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Very cool to see people with a wide range of tastes in music.  Live music is great and it's always interesting to see which performers are as good or even better live (and I've seen a few that I wouldn't want to see again as they were so bad).

1 minute ago, JJ-4 said:

Very cool to see people with a wide range of tastes in music.  Live music is great and it's always interesting to see which performers are as good or even better live (and I've seen a few that I wouldn't want to see again as they were so bad).

That was my experience when I saw Van Halen.  I thought it was terrible.  DLR could still sing.  Eddie could still play guitar in a way that mesmerized.  Together, they were out of sync.  Despite the snobbery of this next phrase, I stand by it.  When you go to enough live shows you can begin to tell the difference between glaring imperfections and minor ones that are related to live music. 

For example, I love Billy Joel but Billy skips notes in many of his songs to make them easier to play live.  He even hired the lead singer of the local Billy Joel tribute band to join his touring band to help out on stage.  

Elton John is a far better live piano player than Elton John.

I will still take Billy live over Elton John live every time.   Billy is a rock and roll show.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Never saw the Grateful Dead with Jerry. 

The first time I went to any concert was in 91.  I was always the weird kid when it came to music.  While the rest of the kids were listening to Z-100 and the morning Zoo.  My Aunt got me interested in New Wave music and my Dad listened to Imus in the Morning.   So by fifth grade, I knew who Bon Jovi was as well as the Smiths and Depeche Mode.    I knew the Z-Morning Zoo but I also knew who Imus was and my lord that led to Howard and Robin and Fa-Fa-Fooey.   I liked the Beastie Boys and the Ramones.  In my world you could listen to some of the stuff that was popular at the time like Springsteen and also listen to the Cure.   Long Island is Billy Joel country so let's get that out of the way. 

By the time I was in high school I discovered Sinatra and Dean Martin... and then that Johnny Cash guy was kind of cool too.  When I walked into Tower Records and heard the Folsum Prison album I was like, "What is THAT?" I need "THAT!"

I always liked walking into a record store and learning about new music.  I remember the first real comic store I went to the guys that worked there would lend me CDs which was a big thing in the early 90's when a CD still cost $16-20.  (Collector's Comics in Wantagh for anyone that knows Long Island.)

I had friends who saw the Dead with Jerry but I never did. I knew Dead songs... By the time I was in college I had seen a lot of shows and was really introduced to Phish around 98 by a coworker but it was just another thing.  I knew several songs and had listened to a tape of a show but I didn't "know" them.  I think I started to really drift into Phish from the Dave Matthews Band around that time, because this guy Trey would pop up every now and then at a DMB show when you could download old DMB shows off of one the tree downloading services back then. 

Something clicked.

Listening to Trey I remember that I was like, this guy has something different going on... and not in a fun but weird way like the Flaming Lips or something but ...different and fun.

Phish can play anything... I have seen them perform electronica things on instruments.  They can play country music. They have done rap.  They make it their own and throw in some funk. 

Amazingly Phish led me to finally appreciate country.  The Zac Brown Band is a Phish / DMB type band where they will try and tackle anything at a show.  They are true musicians as a band.  From ZBB that led to me listening to some other "country".

I've seen en eclectic list of artists live ranging from Tony Bennet, Springsteen, Phish, Dead and Company, Morrissey, Depeche Mode, Van Halen, to Jimmy Buffett, Paul Simon, the Beastie Boys, Bocelli and Billy Joel.

BTW... the best I have ever seen... McCartney

Most chilling... Bocelli.  There is something amazing about a guy that gets MSG to completely shut down where even the vendors stop what they are doing to listen to him. 

Most Fun?  Phish and Bill Joel. 

My favorite banner at MSG? I took this during intermission at last December's Bocelli concert.   I took my mom as a surprise. 

IMG_5110.jpeg

I saw grateful dead with jerry 4 times.  Mostly the parking lot scene was where its at tho.  exactly like stepping back into the 60s.  exactly.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

That was my experience when I saw Van Halen.  I thought it was terrible.  DLR could still sing.  Eddie could still play guitar in a way that mesmerized.  Together, they were out of sync.  Despite the snobbery of this next phrase, I stand by it.  When you go to enough live shows you can begin to tell the difference between glaring imperfections and minor ones that are related to live music. 

For example, I love Billy Joel but Billy skips notes in many of his songs to make them easier to play live.  He even hired the lead singer of the local Billy Joel tribute band to join his touring band to help out on stage.  

Elton John is a far better live piano player than Elton John.

I will still take Billy live over Elton John live every time.   Billy is a rock and roll show.

Have to say the most disappointed I was at a show was New Order back in the day.  They had to pause between every song to get it together (retune and such), forgot lyrics, sounded like , etc.  I think the whole band was drunk/high.  They didn't sound anything like what you would hear on an album, again just terrible, nobody I've seen since has been close.

3 minutes ago, JJ-4 said:

Have to say the most disappointed I was at a show was New Order back in the day.  They had to pause between every song to get it together (retune and such), forgot lyrics, sounded like , etc.  I think the whole band was drunk/high.  They didn't sound anything like what you would hear on an album, again just terrible, nobody I've seen since has been close.

lol Then you have not seen Morrissey... 

Roll a pair of dice.  If you do not get a prime number there is a good chance the show will be cancelled. 

28 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol Then you have not seen Morrissey... 

Roll a pair of dice.  If you do not get a prime number there is a good chance the show will be cancelled. 

Funny story, the only time I've been lucky enough to win something on the radio was the grand prize to see him in Vegas (this was not too many years after The Smith's broke up).  Flew with a friend and the DJ at the radio and his date to Vegas for the show.  The show was awesome but there was such a crush of people that we watched the first half of the show from the 1st row and the second half of the show from the side of the stage (we had back stage passes).  Since it was Morrissey we never did see him backstage, we ran into the band at the airport later that night (they were flying out of the same terminal) but right before the airline started boarding Moz (yeah, I called him that, deal with it Moz) showed up with security and was wisked onto the plane.  He never even made eye contact with the band and the place was not that busy late at night.  I always envisioned him flying 1st class with the rest of his band in coach with him being picked up by a limo and the rest taking a cab, but I flew home to a different city so I'll never know.  The show was fantastic in his defense.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

best as I can figure...

What I have is a Canadian Version, however mislabled

U.S. version is 60 cents

Prepack is 60 cents but lists all the countries prices and also has 3 stars under the prices.....

But anyway that and who sold it to me not taking it out of their registry before selling it to the LCS that sold it to me, has kind of took the wind out of my sales lol that and it's mislabeled rantrant

I think I know what may have happened here...

When CGC receives an invoice at their facility, the receiving crew enters the information for each book from that specific invoice into their system. If a particular book has been previously graded, matches to that particular book will come up and fill all the fields automatically. If it wasn't written on the invoice or if the receiving person simply overlooked it, whatever book the receiving person selected will still remain in the system, and that will be the label that gets printed out, regardless of whether it's correct or not. In this case, apparently no one recognized the fact that it's the Canadian version, or there wasn't a Canadian version already in the system so it didn't automatically come up on their screen. 

If you really want to, you could probably send it back in and get the correct information put on the label... 

12 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I think I know what may have happened here...

When CGC receives an invoice at their facility, the receiving crew enters the information for each book from that specific invoice into their system. If a particular book has been previously graded, matches to that particular book will come up and fill all the fields automatically. If it wasn't written on the invoice or if the receiving person simply overlooked it, whatever book the receiving person selected will still remain in the system, and that will be the label that gets printed out, regardless of whether it's correct or not. In this case, apparently no one recognized the fact that it's the Canadian version, or there wasn't a Canadian version already in the system so it didn't automatically come up on their screen. 

If you really want to, you could probably send it back in and get the correct information put on the label... 

Yes, Brittany McManus confirmed this particular slab was graded "long before the Canadian Price Variants were notated"...... I didn't bump this thread because no one responded lol didn't want to press the issue :foryou: 

But She offered me a "free reholder", I sent it Monday April 6th, it arrived today as of the 8th and marked received :) as a "mechanical error".......

3 hours ago, JJ-4 said:

Funny story, the only time I've been lucky enough to win something on the radio was the grand prize to see him in Vegas (this was not too many years after The Smith's broke up).  Flew with a friend and the DJ at the radio and his date to Vegas for the show.  The show was awesome but there was such a crush of people that we watched the first half of the show from the 1st row and the second half of the show from the side of the stage (we had back stage passes).  Since it was Morrissey we never did see him backstage, we ran into the band at the airport later that night (they were flying out of the same terminal) but right before the airline started boarding Moz (yeah, I called him that, deal with it Moz) showed up with security and was wisked onto the plane.  He never even made eye contact with the band and the place was not that busy late at night.  I always envisioned him flying 1st class with the rest of his band in coach with him being picked up by a limo and the rest taking a cab, but I flew home to a different city so I'll never know.  The show was fantastic in his defense.

His band members both current and former are extremely nice people and have always been gracious.  I've seen Morrissey six times.  However I tried to see him nine times.  Three shows I had tickets to in the local area were cancelled with one being cancelled the morning of the show to which I found out once I arrived at the venue. 

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes, Brittany McManus confirmed this particular slab was graded "long before the Canadian Price Variants were notated"...... I didn't bump this thread because no one responded lol didn't want to press the issue :foryou: 

But She offered me a "free reholder", I sent it Monday April 6th, it arrived today as of the 8th and marked received :) as a "mechanical error".......

I hope this story has a happy ending...   :wishluck:

18 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I hope this story has a happy ending...   :wishluck:

It should and all. I was having trouble finding sales of any Canadian price of this issue let alone 9.6...

Silly me messaged the seller, a LCS that had done Facebook live. They were cool about it but mentioned not many GPA sales etc. Along with had they known they would've kept it, but was glad that I got it and was getting a reholder....

They mentioned the census and they didn't know what it looked like, but felt the value would go up, then I felt bad for having pointed that out. I was so worried that my $204 paid and shipped was no longer a decent price O.o

That's my bad....

Anyway when mine comes back there will be 3 9.8's and then 3 9.6's out of 22 graded. I feel mine is a perfect pressing candidate as it had moderate or slight bends at a 9.6 that could be flattened. I don't ever bother with pressing usually, so probably will let this pass too lol

But idk, it was definitely unexpected, I felt a bit like I was reeling, but hopefully no collateral damage...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It should and all. I was having trouble finding sales of any Canadian price of this issue let alone 9.6...

Silly me messaged the seller, a LCS that had done Facebook live. They were cool about it but mentioned not many GPA sales etc. Along with had they known they would've kept it, but was glad that I got it and was getting a reholder....

They mentioned the census and they didn't know what it looked like, but felt the value would go up, then I felt bad for having pointed that out. I was so worried that my $204 paid and shipped was no longer a decent price O.o

That's my bad....

Anyway when mine comes back there will be 3 9.8's and then 3 9.6's out of 22 graded. I feel mine is a perfect pressing candidate as it had moderate or slight bends at a 9.6 that could be flattened. I don't ever bother with pressing usually, so probably will let this pass too lol

But idk, it was definitely unexpected, I felt a bit like I was reeling, but hopefully no collateral damage...

Sounds like you're doing great...well done!  

8 hours ago, D84 said:

Since we are talking music, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Side note... the band that opened for the Stones in 97 was actually pretty exciting at the time.  They showed a lot of promise and really brought a fun energy to the crowd.  Their execution was on point and realistically they got the crowd pumped fort he Stones...

That band?

The Foo Fighters. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Side note... the band that opened for the Stones in 97 was actually pretty exciting at the time.  They showed a lot of promise and really brought a fun energy to the crowd.  Their execution was on point and realistically they got the crowd pumped fort he Stones...

That band?

The Foo Fighters. 

You never know which opening acts will break. I would have sworn when I saw Living Colour open for The Stones in '89, that they'd blow up.

Best concert I ever went to was back in the era of the super concert- The Police, The Fixx, Madness, Oingo Boingo, Wall of Voodoo, and The Thompson Twins.  It was the Police ghost in the machine tour.  Every band featured it was their top hits at the time.   Would you have enjoyed this one Buzz?

39 minutes ago, kav said:

Best concert I ever went to was back in the era of the super concert- The Police, The Fixx, Madness, Oingo Boingo, Wall of Voodoo, and The Thompson Twins.  It was the Police ghost in the machine tour.  Every band featured it was their top hits at the time.   Would you have enjoyed this one Buzz?

That sounds incredible! 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

His band members both current and former are extremely nice people and have always been gracious.  I've seen Morrissey six times.  However I tried to see him nine times.  Three shows I had tickets to in the local area were cancelled with one being cancelled the morning of the show to which I found out once I arrived at the venue. 

I had no idea he'd cancelled that often, I've seen him 3 or 4 times so I guess I've been lucky.

Great music but he sure is full of himself.

3 hours ago, kav said:

Saw the Police on the reunion tour in 2007.  Tickets at MSG were out of control.  At the time it was around $350 just to walk through the door as everything sold out and StubHub was the only option.   So... I took a day off from work and went to Atlantic City to see them at the Boardwalk Convention Center.   I think I paid less than $100 to sit / be on the first level to the diagonal left of the stage.  Stewart Copeland is every bit amazing as amazing as the hype suggests.   I had seen Sting before when he performed in Central Park.  He was very good but it was nice to say I saw the Police.  

Edited by Buzzetta

9 hours ago, D84 said:

I would have sworn when I saw Living Colour open for The Stones in '89, that they'd blow up

Very good band. Their second album, ‘Time’s Up’, sold well in the U.K., but I think the follow-up, ‘Stain’, killed the momentum for them. The bass / rhythm sound on it was quite grating, hard to listen to.

Edited by Ken Aldred