• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Professor Chaos So unprofessional

140 posts in this topic

And the one thing we haven't heard yet from the OP is "I just changed my address on PayPal". Which, if he wants to buy books through PayPal he's going to have to do anyway. At that price level of book you would think. And yet, not yet.

Sending it to the address on record as he keeps saying is a non starter, his tenant lives there now. OP's big fall back plans seem to be he'll come in person for a pickup, pay with a money order or somesuch non protected manner, or have the book be non-deliverable and sit in the Post Office where the OP will come and sign for it with drivers license.

All may be unsatisfactory, and rightly so. But the OP is right in this respect, Prof. A buyer deserves the opportunity to talk it through first before you regretfully pull the deal. Which apparently you did to a certain extent.  You don't owe him a book, and also apparently I was hasty in thinking you owe him an apology.

Edited by Dr. Love
new facts

6 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

We've been through this before, and people hammered the guy to show the comic to prove it was still in his possession. It was the guy who said he "misplaced" the comic at the time, maybe an ASM? Anyone remember that thread?

Yes, I remember that.

As I recall he said something about living in a big house and misplacing the book.

doh!:tonofbricks:

While it can be an inconsiderate move to pull a book from a sale, the seller has the right as much as i'd disagree with the practice.  The buyer should also brush it off and move on to finding the next book he is going to buy instead of making it a bigger deal then it needs to be.  It's not that big of a deal, move on to the next deal folks. 

GOceg0U.gif

12 hours ago, raybowles said:

We all have a lot more important things to worry about folks.  Nothing more to see here.   Keep safe everyone.

Can we please stop with this. Its just ridiculous. People are selling and buing comic books. If issues arise they get talked about. We don't ignore it because more important things are going on in the world. There are ALWAYS more important things going on in the world. 

4 minutes ago, wombat said:

Can we please stop with this. Its just ridiculous. People are selling and buing comic books. If issues arise they get talked about. We don't ignore it because more important things are going on in the world. There are ALWAYS more important things going on in the world. 

The point is the topic has already been discussed ample times.  We have all the information and IMO there is no reason to keep discussing it.  The facts have shown the Professor did not pull a scam and yes there are a lot more important things to discuss/worry about.  We have 6 pages of discussion and it's not fair to the professor for this to keep going on.  He did nothing wrong and made a judgement call which is his right. 

4 minutes ago, raybowles said:

The point is the topic has already been discussed ample times.  We have all the information and IMO there is no reason to keep discussing it.  The facts have shown the Professor did not pull a scam and yes there are a lot more important things to discuss/worry about.  We have 6 pages of discussion and it's not fair to the professor for this to keep going on.  He did nothing wrong and made a judgement call which is his right. 

Thats not how this works. While you can certainly have your opinion and share it, you don't get to decide "he did nothing wrong" and that everyone else should stop talking about it. Clearly some people differ in their opinion. 

There are always people who take it upon themselves to try to convince the rest of us that the discussion is over. Message boards don't work that way. Well, unless the mods get involved ;) Discussions have a lifespan and that lifespan should be allowed to continue on its own. Sometimes it's long and sometimes it's short. The point is that the boards will determine when the discussion is done, or if it keeps going, or if it dies and then gets reignited. That's how it works. That's how it should work. 

Edited by Jëffrö...

52 minutes ago, wombat said:

Hi wombat I believe rayb meant from this point on there are more important things. The info is all out on the open about this at this point. That's all. I think, right? It can be discussed for years to come but there won't be any new information coming out as far as I can see.

Another edit: Sure the point of whether or not I did anything wrong can be discussed and opinions offered. I just hope its clear that I did not scam anybody and my motive for doing what I did was not to make a little extra money. Unless some new revalations come to light I believe that aspect of this should be history. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

43 minutes ago, wombat said:

Thats not how this works. While you can certainly have your opinion and share it, you don't get to decide "he did nothing wrong" and that everyone else should stop talking about it. Clearly some people differ in their opinion. 

Correct this is my opinion only.  If you want to keep discussing this that's fine.  Keep safe everyone.

26 minutes ago, Jëffrö... said:

There are always people who take it upon themselves to try to convince the rest of us that the discussion is over. Message boards don't work that way. Well, unless the mods get involved ;) Discussions have a lifespan and that lifespan should be allowed to continue on its own. Sometimes it's long and sometimes it's short. The point is that the boards will determine when the discussion is done, or if it keeps going, or if it dies and then gets reignited. That's how it works. That's how it should work. 

I was giving my opinion.  If you folks want to continue to discuss then please have at it.  

7 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi wombat I believe rayb meant from this point on there are more important things. The info is all out on the open about this at this point. That's all. I think, right? It can be discussed for years to come but there won't be any new information coming out as far as I can see.

Another edit: Sure the point of whether or not I did anything wrong can be discussed and opinions offered. I just hope its clear that I did not scam anybody and my motive for doing what I did was not to make a little extra money. Unless some new revalations come to light I believe that aspect of this should be history. 

Can you produce the book? That would answer at least one concern: that you sold it to someone else.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, cgc_navigator said:

First, for what seems to be the most relevant part, Professor did not charge me more or in any way ask me to pay more than the other individual (I forget their username, sorry).

29 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

CGC_navigator stated Professor Chaos sold the book to him on page 5 for less than the price the OP paid.

I thought he said, or it was implied maybe, that he also paid the $1700 but I could be wrong.

I gotta say, this thread has legs! Surprisingly strong response here.

Usually Boardies come here to hash out a misunderstanding but I don't think that was aim of the OP. I believe he just wanted to bring to light that he was slighted and denied the opportunity to purchase a comic he really wanted because of a technicality. The seller on the other hand felt if he completed the sale with an unconfirmed shipping address then the book could get lost or stolen, the buyer would get his money back and he would be at a loss of both the book and his money. After looking at the details I think they both have legitimate concerns because mistakes were made by both parties. 

The Buyer: He should make sure he has a confirmed shipping address before attempting to make any more board purchases. The majority of sellers are not willing to take the risk of shipping comics(regardless the value) to an unconfirmed address.

The Seller: He should state in his sales thread that he has the right to screen a buyer before finalizing a sales agreement. With the high dollar amount involved the seller should state he will only ship to a confirmed Paypal address-no exceptions. If the buyer violates this clause then the sale should be cancelled in the original listing before the seller offers a deal to another buyer.

I am not saying the Seller didn't have a legitimate concern but my concern with this situation is that the buyer claimed the item fair and square then paid in a timely manner. The seller should have given the initial buyer time to work out the problem or come up with an alternate payment method before the seller entered into an agreement with a different buyer. Even if it was just like 24 hours. I would never want a Seller to lose their merchandise and their money but there are safeguards that can be utilized to protect their interest in any transaction. 

We have an awesome forum here mainly because you guys know how to weed out the bad guys and also how to iron out kinks in the sales process. IMO this wasn't a bad guy vs good guy situation. Just a kinky situation.:nyah:

On 4/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, Professor Chaos said:

Well I'm glad you think that I'm shady. And that its so obvious I sold it for 1850.00. You sure know a lot of stuff.  You should be one of those FBI profilers. Hey do you know this? Would you send a 1700 comic to an address where the buyer doesnt even live? Would any of you? These kids don't follow the rules? Maybe these kids should keep their actual shipping address up to date on paypal and maybe this kind of stuff wouldn't happen.  I'm not going to send something to an address where he doesnt live.  End of story. Hope I explained that thoroughly, or was it shady? 

Oh and this is an edit. The price on the post was 1850.00 the entire time I did not change the price. Do you understand that detective? Because he's new his post needed verification from a moderator before they were visible. I never changed the price.  Maybe before you go accusiing people of dishonesty you should know what your talking about because in this case you are completely wrong.

Details of your deal notwithstanding, you sound like an utterly unpleasant person to deal with. 

Blocked. 

On 4/5/2020 at 5:22 PM, KCOComics said:

The combative nature of the seller with the buyer and virtually everyone who's weighed in is what I take issue with. 

Your entitled to feel uneasy about the address issue, but there is an expected etiquette for carrying out transactions on the boards. 

Well said. :applause: