• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Professor Chaos So unprofessional

140 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I'll weigh in FWIW.

1. Do we have 'kids' shelling out nearly two grand for books on here? My point being being older than someone does not mean you are automatically in the right, nor should you patronise anyone just because of their age. I am one of the oldest Boardies I guess, and occasionally I will patronise someone, but only because they are a d**k.

2. If the seller pulled the sale because of a non-matching address on paypal I can totally understand that. However the seller should have explained this properly before issuing the refund in order to give the buyer a chance at some sort of redress.

3.If the seller pulled the sale in order to make a few extra bucks after the deal was done, that is not cool.

4.It happened to me a while back, when a certain seller cancelled the sale and sold it to a higher offer after the deal was done.I'm sure some will remember that.

5.If I were the buyer in this case I would put it down to experience, move along the bus and never deal with that person again.

6. If I were the seller I would maybe put explicit rules in my sales thread so as to avoid this happening again.

7. Thankfully nobody lost any money.

8. I would never sell a book to an unconfirmed ppal address personally unless I knew the boardie, or had dealt with them before and trusted them.

9. Mike's wife was fibbing, he is weird.

Conclusion:

Bit of a storm in a tea cup, but I guess it passes the time...   

Agreed with everything said above. I would still be interested to see him put the book up to prove he has not sold it to somebody else.

Edited by J2dac

1 minute ago, J2dac said:

Agreed with everything I said. I would still be interested to see him put the book up to prove he has not sold it to somebody else.

To be clear, I am not taking sides just giving an opinion.

The problem I have with the seller is that he didn't give the buyer any other options after finding the shipping address discrepancy. That too me is shady. It's like the seller was looking for any excuse that would relieve him of having to complete the sale and unfortunately for the buyer one excuse popped up immediately. If possibly losing money to Paypal because the buyer was attempting fraud was the issue then removing Paypal from the equation would have been an obvious remedy. Certified bank check or postal money order are payment options that could have been utilized to protect the seller. There should have been some type of discussion before canceling the sales agreement. I don't think that suspicion the buyer is "up to something" is strong enough to justify canceling the sale. Now the "up to something" suspicion is transferred back to the seller because of the shifting reasons for not going through with the sale. It was a really nice looking WWBN #32 and I think the buyer was deprived of the opportunity to buy this copy. Not giving the buyer another payment option and selling the slab to another buyer is PL worthy IMO.

Anyone accusing me of refunding his money because somebody else offered me more money is making an assumption. There is no evidence at all that I did that. 

And no one is going to pay 1850.00 for a 9.0 WWBN 32 right now on a private forum. Its selling for less than that on ebay right now.

It is crystal clear that there was issues with the shipping address. I had a choice. Either send it to an address which doesn't match his paypal account or send it to an apartment where he used to live and let whoever lives there now sign for it. At that point I chose to simply refund the money in the hopes that he wouldn't behave as if I stole one of his kidneys. Like I said this person has no posts here. I do not know him at all.  And Paypal really doesn't care about tracking these days if a buyer makes a claim. In most cases they will side with the buyer. So yes based on that I decided to bail. And I would do it again especially now that I see how the buyer is behaving. A deal fell through. It happens. Its not some sort of tragic event.

I broke no rules and did nothing unethical. I simply refunded his money right after the shipping address issue came up.  I made a decision based on experience and common sense.

If the buyers shipping information was up to date he would have had his comic and I would have my money. But you don't see me going on the internet trying to get him suspened from a website and  complaining how he screwed me over. He is the one who caused this not me. 

3 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

The problem I have with the seller is that he didn't give the buyer any other options after finding the shipping address discrepancy. That too me is shady. It's like the seller was looking for any excuse that would relieve him of having to complete the sale and unfortunately for the buyer one excuse popped up immediately. If possibly losing money to Paypal because the buyer was attempting fraud was the issue then removing Paypal from the equation would have been an obvious remedy. Certified bank check or postal money order are payment options that could have been utilized to protect the seller. There should have been some type of discussion before canceling the sales agreement. I don't think that suspicion the buyer is "up to something" is strong enough to justify canceling the sale. Now the "up to something" suspicion is transferred back to the seller because of the shifting reasons for not going through with the sale. It was a really nice looking WWBN #32 and I think the buyer was deprived of the opportunity to buy this copy. Not giving the buyer another payment option and selling the slab to another buyer is PL worthy IMO.

You know what? Maybe we could have proceeded after I refunded his money and he then updated his paypal info. But it never got to that point because he got all dramatic about it once I refunded the money. And I don't want to do business with someone like that. What some of you are people seem to disregard is that it is my comic. And if I choose not to sell it to someone that my right. 

26 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

You know what? Maybe we could have proceeded after I refunded his money and he then updated his paypal info. But it never got to that point because he got all dramatic about it once I refunded the money. And I don't want to do business with someone like that. What some of you are people seem to disregard is that it is my comic. And if I choose not to sell it to someone that my right. 

If nothing shady went on then can you please just re-post the comic to give somebody else an opportunity to purchase. That is if you still have the comic?

Edited by J2dac

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I hate when this happens!

Matter of fact, it's a imaginary police in my head saying "Buy this book, buy that book, bwahahaha"

In all seriousness you are in the right, if the address on the paypal account doesn't match the address they want you to ship the book too, it sounds downright suspect. You have no idea who you are shipping the book too.

They could have got that guys paypal account and laundered the money through a comic book, and if it did turn out to be a fraud then you are stuck with the bill and no comic book!

Now if it's on the other hand that you got a better deal and that is why you closed the deal, then that is your fault.

But only you know your own heart.

2c

I have some knowledge on this deal.  Everything the Professor is saying is correct.  He listed the comic for $1850 and sold it to the buyer for $1,700.  The deal fell through when the buyer wanted to use a different address.  The Professor did nothing wrong folks.  He did not personally know the buyer and it's his right to use caution and not go through with the deal.

Edited by raybowles

I am a little confused and request clarification....

When looking at the OP's post (and link to original thread), it shows the book was listed at 7:00 and the OP posted the "Take" at 7:01.

Now we are hearing from both sides that the agreed upon price was $1,700.  The seller stated the original list price was $1,850.

So my question is, did the "buyer" take the book at $1,850 and then negotiate a deal for $1,700??

Did the buyer send a PM first offering $1,700, which was accepted by the "seller", and THEN post the "take"?  (in which case more experienced board members usually post "Take per PM" or some such language.

I am just a little confused on this point and would appreciate clarification from with the buyer @J2dac or seller @Professor Chaos

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

31 minutes ago, raybowles said:

I have some knowledge on this deal.  Everything the Professor is saying is correct.  He listed the comic for $1850 and sold it to the buyer for $1,700.  The deal fell through when the buyer wanted to use a different address.  The Professor did nothing wrong folks.  He did not personally know the buyer and it's his right to use caution and not go through with the deal.

The Boards have rules for both buyers and sellers. Equal protection. Once the buyer commits to a purchase then the Seller must sell to the buyer. The buyer didn't violate any board policies and the Paypal unconfirmed address policy is not a rule that over turns a purchase. The seller chose to do that even before telling the buyer that it was a problem. So without any warning or discussion the seller terminates the agreement and refunds the money. The seller has multiple payment options listed other than Paypal in his ads. I don't see where the Seller gave the buyer the option to pay by a different method if shipping to an unconfirmed address through Paypal was such a big concern. If the buyer was allowed to pay by certified check or money order then where he wanted the item shipped shouldn't have been a concern. Especially if delivery confirmation and signature confirmation is included. It's the seller's book until he agrees to a sale. A seller just can't just back out of a deal on the boards without there being some type of serious infraction committed by the buyer. If the buyer's money was good then the sale should have been completed. If  the seller can't abide by Board rules then he/she should be placed on the probation list so other boardies will know they play by their own rules and should be avoided.

1 hour ago, J2dac said:

To kairos.

It was stated in the thread "PayPal Only". I do not have to offer another method. And I think it goes without saying that it must be delivered to an address that matches the one on paypal.  Nobody in their right mind would send something to a different address than whats on the paypal account  regardless of what you say board rules are. In this case however he openly said that he does not live at the address on his paypal anymore. Common sense tells me that is not acceptable either.

And there was discussion before I refunded the money to him, He posted the private text message of me telling him that right here on page one. I told him I was going to refund his money. And based on his reaction to me refunding his money I will not proceed with him anymore. I think I have the right to make that decision. And if I don't according to board rules then so be it.

Edited by Professor Chaos
quoted wrong member

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

This is not ebay or facebook. Part of the priviledge of selling on the boards is that you follow through with your transactions. The expectation is you are going to make every effort to do so and act in a certain way. If you don't like the expectations then sell somewhere else. 

Every effort? Would sending a 1,700 dollar comic to his old apartment where he used to live be included in that? Would you have done that?

4 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Every effort? Would sending a 1,700 dollar comic to his old apartment where he used to live be included in that? Would you have done that?

You could have asked for another form of payment as mentioned. A certified check or something like that. It would have removed the risk of paypal protection. And of course you should have never just cancelled without first discussing that with the buyer.

I'm curious if you think you should have done anything different at all during this transaction. 

Like many others here, I've sold tons of stuff here over the years. There has been occasions when the shipping ppal address did not match where the buyer wanted it sent.

This is the first thing I check. In each instance I check with the buyer and politely inform them the ppal address is where I am going to send the books. I've never had anyone complain about this and the sale has gone thru' without any issues.

The only exceptions I've made is when I know the buyer or I have had previous dealings with the buyer and have built up a business trust/relationship.

For me personally no way I would just refund the money and cancel the sale without at first giving the buyer some chance of an explanation.

That just would not make sense to me.

Having said all that the seller is right in as much as he says 'it's his book and he can sell it or not sell it to whoever he likes', however that really is not the kind of attitude that goes down well here or indeed would promote any confidence in future dealings with said seller on these boards.