• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Astonishing Tales # 25
1 1

18 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, ghost of the wild said:

Ok I hope I got good enough pics, I tried. Thank you to those that help me decide weather to grade or not.

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8186.JPG

IMG_8187.JPG

IMG_8188.JPG

IMG_8189.JPG

IMG_8190.JPG

Was this it? The only one? Or considering/planning to include more in the submission?

Also important, and should be considered when asking how worthwhile it is to submit, how much did you pay for this book?

Edited by James J Johnson

47 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Was this it? The only one? Or considering/planning to include more in the submission?

Also important, and should be considered when asking how worthwhile it is to submit, how much did you pay for this book?

I've had this one since it came off the rack and was stored while I served my country and came home. So only paid cover price. I plan to submit more comics but this one is one of my favorite characters so being his origin, it's a little special to me. We didn't have a lot to choose from back then. I have another copy I picked up a few years later but still back then it didn't cost but a fist full of dollars. So give it to me straight doc.

23 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

I've had this one since it came off the rack and was stored while I served my country and came home. So only paid cover price. I plan to submit more comics but this one is one of my favorite characters so being his origin, it's a little special to me. We didn't have a lot to choose from back then. I have another copy I picked up a few years later but still back then it didn't cost but a fist full of dollars. So give it to me straight doc.

My diagnosis is that since you're into the book for basically nothing, not compounding the cost of retail + submission for a final result that may not prove to be worth much more than the cost of submission and/or pressing alone, submit it!

Edited by James J Johnson

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

My diagnosis is that since you're into the book for basically nothing, not compounding the cost of retail + submission on a book that may not prove to be worth much more than the cost of submission and/or pressing, submit it!

so in your opinion, if based on what you see, what grade do you think. And do you think I should have it pressed? even though I don't understand that process at all and can't seem to run down a post that explains it through and through

Edited by ghost of the wild
add remark

11 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

so in your opinion, if based on what you see, what grade do you think. And do you think I should have it pressed? even though I don't understand that process at all and can't seem to run down a post that explains it through and through

Minimum of 8.5/9.0. Could do more though. Hard to see it all through the bag.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It's the lack of clear resolution then, causing it to look to me typically as a scan or photo of the comic in a bag. Any way to post a few pics with higher resolution?

will try, I have a hard time getting good pics with no flare from flash or poor lighting, or a shadow, ect.. just not a photographer

I agree with Capra: 8.5 likely. There's just enough wear at the lower corners and enough minor wear near the upper staple, plus a few spine ticks (minor) and some light scratches near the 'D' in "Deathlok" that may or may not be artifacts from printing and/or binding. That having been said, I wish mine was this nice!  (thumbsu

Edited by PopKulture

8.5. @PopKulture and @theCapraAegagrus got it right. No huge issues like creases, chunks or stains. As for if a clean and press will help your grade? Maybe.

Scans won’t show non color breaking dents or bends which can affect your grade negatively if there are any on either cover.

A clean and press might get you to a 9.0 tops,IMO. The other defects aren’t fixable.

Hold your comic at an angle and look at each cover to see any dents, ripples, and bends as well as dirt.

Hope that helps.