• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors in Films

21 posts in this topic

Not collectors of films, but interesting depictions of collectors in films.

I particularly like Alan Mowbray in That Hamilton Woman:

Things do not end well for him, he is left shattered after his collection is lost at sea:

Another interesting one is Paul Scofield in The Train (I'm not saying he's sympathetic):

Pierce Brosnan in The Thomas Crown Affair is an obvious one, but anyone who does this should be drummed out of the hobby, for his packing practices if nothing else:

8 hours ago, Taylor G said:

Not collectors of films, but interesting depictions of collectors in films.

I particularly like Alan Mowbray in That Hamilton Woman:

Things do not end well for him, he is left shattered after his collection is lost at sea:

Another interesting one is Paul Scofield in The Train (I'm not saying he's sympathetic):

Pierce Brosnan in The Thomas Crown Affair is an obvious one, but anyone who does this should be drummed out of the hobby, for his packing practices if nothing else:

I’ve seen the Thomas Crowne Affair. I’ll definitely watch the others.

On 4/6/2020 at 3:01 AM, Skizz said:

Mr Glass in Unbreakable. It’s what introduced me to original comic art. 

This was my first thought as well. I remember seeing it and I am shocked that movie didn't push me to seek out comic art for myself. So many signs and I still didn't "find" comic art until the mid 2000s

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

This was my first thought as well. I remember seeing it and I am shocked that movie didn't push me to seek out comic art for myself. So many signs and I still didn't "find" comic art until the mid 2000s

What I wouldn’t give to have found comic art in the mid 2000s. I really only found it in 2016-17, right when prices want kablooey!

There really is only one movie about collecting obsessions... CITIZEN KANE!

MAJOR SPOILER and considered one of the greatest endings in cinema history. (Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, don't watch the clip below. Go watch the whole thing. The movie is consistently on the top of GOAT lists. I'm only posting it here for those of you who know it already.)

Spoiler

Edited by BCarter27

2 hours ago, Skizz said:

What I wouldn’t give to have found comic art in the mid 2000s. I really only found it in 2016-17, right when prices want kablooey!

Yep, whenever you jump in, you can see how much you wish you had done it earlier. I think of all the comics and other materials I was buying when I could have been buying art for a small fraction of what it cost at the time. The good news is that you can still build a good collection today and something you can enjoy. 

8 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

There really is only one movie about collecting obsessions... CITIZEN KANE!

I've always thought of Kane as more of a hoarder than a collector, just another aspect of his pathological behavior.  There are no scenes where he's relishing anything in his collection (except maybe his wife), instead it's just acquisition after acquisition, most of it done by his minions based on the scale of it, retail therapy at the billionaire level.  

On 4/6/2020 at 12:01 AM, Skizz said:

Mr Glass in Unbreakable. It’s what introduced me to original comic art. 

Oh man of course! My buddy and I exchange enthusiastic silent high fives and and thumbs up when that scene played in the movie theater. 

2 hours ago, Taylor G said:

I've always thought of Kane as more of a hoarder than a collector, just another aspect of his pathological behavior.  There are no scenes where he's relishing anything in his collection (except maybe his wife), instead it's just acquisition after acquisition, most of it done by his minions based on the scale of it, retail therapy at the billionaire level.  

You’ve probably seen the sequel.

CITIZEN COOLLINES

I haven't seen it yet, I only caught a bit on cable. But Ben Affleck is in a movie where he plays a corporate guy. He has stuff stashed for quick money I think. And the scene had him with a storage cabinet or drawer of vintage comics.

4 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I haven't seen it yet, I only caught a bit on cable. But Ben Affleck is in a movie where he plays a corporate guy. He has stuff stashed for quick money I think. And the scene had him with a storage cabinet or drawer of vintage comics.

The Accountant.