• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Books - Anyone know the specs?

4 posts in this topic

I have a pretty nice copy of Batman 31 but wondering if it's been trimmed.  Does anyone have a resource that tells you the physical specifications (measurements) to know if someone has trimmed it?  Hate to submit to CGC for grading and be surprised by that.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

MLarocque

I think seeing a scan of the book would help. It’s not uncommon for books of that period to have been mis cut during the printing process. Nevertheless there are plenty of experts on this site that might be able to tell from a visual scan. Good luck!

Unfortunately, there aren't precise dimensions for golden age books.  The quality control at the time was all over the place.  I've owned 2 cgc Universal label Detective Comics 46 and there width differed by 1/4 inch.

One way to tell if a book may have been trimmed is to lay it open at the center point, where you can see the staples.  If the left -and sometimes right- edges of the pages layer over each other spaced, it hasn't been trimmed.  OTOH, if the left pages are all stacked directly on top of each other, then it most likely has.  You can also look at the wear on the vertical edge of the pages, as compared to the top and bottom, to see if they are all the same, or if the vertical seems whiter.