• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee's marathon sketches
1 1

314 posts in this topic

Let me first say that I am impressed by Jim Lee's 60 day marathon effort to do sketches for the benefit of the industry. Apart from the applause, I was wondering what have been your favorites to date, pricing, and any other matters on the subject? If you are not familiar with the marathon, they are on eBay, and his screen name is ChunkyMonkey0000. They are also on his Facebook page.

The fact that he can bang out a sketch a day at that level of quality, and still have time for a full-time job, is impressive. To draw what looks like an average of $5,000 or so each at this stage is amazing to me. 

Of the first 4, I think the one I like least is Bizarro. Nightwing looks the cleanest; Dr. Fate is a bit fussy for my taste (too much detail). Azrael simply doesn't interest me.

Anyone's thoughts?

I'm most impressed with the character of the man, but the art's not bad either. I'm very unlikely to bid on anything, but they are fun to see. 

Oh, Bizarro and Dr. Fate are my favorites so far. I'd prefer the Bizarro without the speech bubble.

2 hours ago, Twanj said:

He says DC.

I get it but I'd rather see a mix too!

that's too bad.  Given his role, I guess it makes sense he has to stick with DC but I think there are a lot of people out there (like me) that don't collect anything DC, regardless of who is drawing it.  

Consider this news:

The reason Jim is only doing DC sketches is because when he is finished, DC is going to publish them and sell the sketch books. Using anything besides DC characters would undoubtedly create copyright issues. 

I had sent him an email suggesting that all the sketches should be published when he is finished. I was advised that this was the plan. I also asked him if I should keep it secret, and the response was that publicity will be good for sale. 

So, there’s some good news coming out of the pandemic for a change.

I had hoped some of these might be "affordable", but seeing the prices, that's clearly out the window.  :(

Original art by Jim is damn near the top of my list of grail items at this point.  I'd venture that a page from his Batman run inked by Scott is at the very top.