• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee's marathon sketches
1 1

314 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, rsonenthal said:

My guess is that he's got a good accountant and they've told him that an artist can't get a charitable deduction for a contribution of their own work. 

It may just be that Jim is a really talented and nice guy who is trying to do something wonderful for a bunch of stores that played a small but critical role in building the industry that he loves.  In other words, maybe he's doing it without any expectation of reward; he's doing it because they need help, and he is in a position to do so. 

Good on Jim.

Oh, heck, yeah.

5 hours ago, rsonenthal said:

My guess is that he's got a good accountant and they've told him that an artist can't get a charitable deduction for a contribution of their own work. 

It may just be that Jim is a really talented and nice guy who is trying to do something wonderful for a bunch of stores that played a small but critical role in building the industry that he loves.  In other words, maybe he's doing it without any expectation of reward; he's doing it because they need help, and he is in a position to do so. 

Good on Jim.

It’s also possible that DC knows the importance of its dealer network to its sales, and between mandatory store closings and Diamond Distributors shutting down, it realized it had to help them for the future. Since DC can’t really do much publishing right now, it’s also possible that Jim came up with the idea and DC grabbed it (I assume he is on salary). They might now be able to deduct his salary, or a portion of it, as a charitable contribution, along with any other paid support or materials they provide, earning a ton of goodwill, and keeping their characters in the public eye.
What they are all doing is still great, but it is being done smartly.

Edited by Rick2you2

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Art Adams is now doing the same thing through Jim Lee’s auctions. His selections, however, will be based on the most likes. That was posted this evening on Facebook.

Interesting.  Not sure if they will get to the Jim Lee price level but if he puts a lot of detail into them, they might get close.   Looking more forward to seeing what Art does have to say.  

This is an awesome thing they are doing to help keep the shops alive but wondering how long people will have this amount of disposable income in the current world situation.

Edited by joefixit2

10 hours ago, rsonenthal said:

Good on Jim.

I agree and it sounds like Jim. I imagine he felt for the LCS owners suffering the burden of shutting down and wanted to do his part to support the shops that helped significantly to build his own career. It was probably a spontaneous "what can I do to help" moment and is being done via a "figure it out as I go" approach. 

2 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Just read that these will all be collected (which we knew was a likelihood) but now each piece will be a variant cover for a future comic(s). Any previous projections for funds raised just got blown out of the water. 

The value of those unpublished sketches, now to be published, just shot up several hundred percent, I expect.

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

The value of those unpublished sketches, now to be published, just shot up several hundred percent, I expect.

For sure - he is serious about raising money for the LCS owners

from his IG:

Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
New wrinkle to this 60 sketches in 60 days—each image will be used as a variant cover for a future DC comic! And all 60 will be collected into a book which will also benefit BINC.

Just now, JadeGiant said:

For sure - he is serious about raising money for the LCS owners

from his IG:

Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
New wrinkle to this 60 sketches in 60 days—each image will be used as a variant cover for a future DC comic! And all 60 will be collected into a book which will also benefit BINC.

I am sort of wondering, however, what sort of book/story would be produced to support each cover. Can you imagine what we would get if a high bidder asks for "Hoppy the Marvel Bunny", or Super-Turtle?

4 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

This thread is capturing all images and realized prices with a running total raised - FYI

http://www.statueforum.com/showpost.php?p=5846465&postcount=4

I was hoping someone would do that. It's easier than looking up all the listing in eBay for completed transactions all the time.

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I am sort of wondering, however, what sort of book/story would be produced to support each cover. Can you imagine what we would get if a high bidder asks for "Hoppy the Marvel Bunny", or Super-Turtle?

Jim's 60 will be DC only and I think he will only accept requests that are worthy of being published by DC. I do wonder if he will have to refuse any requests. 

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was hoping someone would do that. It's easier than looking up all the listing in eBay for completed transactions all the time.

I had the same thought so I started a spreadsheet in true Alex Johnson form

As of now, the Batman Beyond listing says "10% of the sale of this item will benefit Book Industry Charitable Foundation"

The Big Barda and Doomsday are at 95%.  I think the listing needs some tweaking.  I sent an e-mail via ebay.

Good on Jim Lee and others for using their talents to help.

5 minutes ago, Will_K said:

As of now, the Batman Beyond listing says "10% of the sale of this item will benefit Book Industry Charitable Foundation"

The Big Barda and Doomsday are at 95%.  I think the listing needs some tweaking.  I sent an e-mail via ebay.

Good on Jim Lee and others for using their talents to help.

On IG

EDIT: I inadvertently didn’t change the default 10% going to charity to the 95% I’ve done on other auctions. Regardless, the full 95% money will be donated to BINC as they will provide a receipt of total funds which I will share at the midpoint and also at the very end.

Deadman piece is currently a very good deal since the description says it will be published as a future cover.

I had a random thought but what if,  Jim and DC could raise more money with these sketches by collecting them into a limited print run pin-up book after they're all completed? A lot of these drawings are great and  while I'm sure a lot of people would love to have one not many can afford to drop 5 figures on a piece of art so having a them all published will be a great cost effective way for more people who want to donate or simply like the drawings but can't afford it. More money can be raised and it makes all the pieces published which might be able to help drive up their prices. Just a thought.